Re: [NTB] Wake Up Printer

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 5, 2002
      Hi Steve,

      Thanks for the reply.

      >>>. I've solved the problem by copying and pasting from
      NoteTab into MS Word and printing from Word whenever I
      want to print something out, but that's just a workaround,
      I guess, not really a "solution". <<<<<<

      In my case, when I have tried pasting to Word, the print failure persists. A
      complete re-boot is always required to get the printer to respond.

      >>>.sometimes when this happens, if I tell NoteTab
      once again to print, *then* it prints. <<<<<<

      I always get the "retry" screen when the printer hangs, but clicking "retry"
      is never any help. Canceling the "retry" screen and attempting a second or
      third print is equally ineffective.

      >>. it's as though I hadn't printed anything. Nothing goes into
      the printer's queue,<<<<<<

      I'm wondering if anyone knows of some trick involving the device manager or
      some other system tool that will "unhang" a printer when it's not accepting
      files in its queue.

      This question looks like it isn't strictly NTP-related and, therefore, should
      be continued on the Off Topic list. I monitor that list all the time and will
      respond if any continuation of this thread continues in (
      ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com ).

      Regards,

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 5, 2002
        > Steve LaMantia wrote:
        >
        > Hi, Ray.
        >
        > Pushed to quantify, I'd say about one time out of three or so. The
        other interesting thing is that sometimes when this happens, if I tell
        NoteTab once again to print, *then* it prints. (Kind of like a child;
        gotta be told twice! Hah! :-) But other times, it won't print even if
        I tell it repeatedly to print.

        > -- Steve
        >
        > > Ray Shapp wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Group,
        > >
        > > About once or twice a month, my printer becomes invisible to
        NoteTab. I solve the problem by rebooting the computer. It is a
        Brother Multifunction printer (model MFC 7000) which is always connected
        to a phone line for faxes and for use as an answering machine,
        therefore, it doesn't have an On/Off power switch.

        > > I'm running NTP v4.91 on a Win98 PC.
        > >
        > > Can anyone suggest another less disruptive way to wake up the printer?
        > >
        > > Ray Shapp
        > > Watchung, NJ

        Steve, Ray,

        You probably won't want to hear my guess, I presently use Win98 also,
        and I'm going to guess both printing problems are related to inadequate
        resources.

        I was, and still am, a fan of small utilities that run as TSR's in the
        system tray.

        I've had printing troubles, similar to yours, display problems of
        different types and several other things.

        Running fewer memory resident apps releases resources and helps a lot.
        Trimming out some of these and keeping your hard disk defragged will
        help a great deal.

        I used to start having trouble after a couple of hours of activity,
        after trimming some TSR's I 'may' not have to reboot at all during the
        day. I boot up around 7:00-7:30am every day and shut down, usually,
        after midnight.

        hrs
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 5, 2002
          Hi HRS,

          resources.<<<<

          That's definitely a possibility. If I were to close some big applications
          without re-booting, would that wake up a hung printer, or is it irretrievable
          once the printer freezes?

          Thanks for the insight.

          Ray Shapp
          Watchung, NJ
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 6, 2002
            > Ray Shapp wrote:
            >
            > Hi HRS,
            >
            > That's definitely a possibility. If I were to close some big
            applications
            > without re-booting, would that wake up a hung printer, or is it
            irretrievable
            > once the printer freezes?
            >
            > Thanks for the insight.
            >
            > Ray Shapp
            > Watchung, NJ

            Ray,

            I'll respond here but lets take this OffTopic, it's not directly related
            to NoteTab usability.

            Yes, that may help, also opening and closing one or two other
            applications might help. It's kind of like memory CPR, kick it around
            to get it going again.

            Other items I recall helping: If this applies, You don't need the memory
            resident -printer control interface icon- in your tray, the printer
            starts just fine without it, and, if you're using a mouse control that
            adds an icon to the system tray you don't need that either.

            One thing you may lose, though not necessarily so, is mouse wheel
            scrolling, small price to pay for not having to reboot several times a day.

            One other, seemingly counter-productive item. I use a memory utility
            called RamIdle, there are others. Ramidle have a choice of what to
            display in the system tray and I display a resource meter.

            By getting used to and using the resource meter count you can watch for
            the critical percentage area and try the memory CPR methods before you
            actually start having too much trouble.

            Although I'm not the greatest of MS fans, I've been told that XP, for
            the most part, solves the resource problem.

            Zdnet has a nice gui utility, StartCop, to show and let you control most
            of the things you have running in the background, You can temporarily
            disable, or, remove these items from the Startup menu. Here's the link.

            http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,4148,2130,00.asp

            hrs