Re: [NTB] Wake Up Printer

  • Steve LaMantia
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 5, 2002
      Hi, Ray.

      Interesting, because I've found a similar thing. Every
      now and then when I try to print from NoteTab Pro, it's
      as though I hadn't printed anything. Nothing goes into
      the printer's queue, and (so of course) nothing prints
      out. I've solved the problem by copying and pasting from
      NoteTab into MS Word and printing from Word whenever I
      want to print something out, but that's just a workaround,
      I guess, not really a "solution". I've always wondered
      why NoteTab does this.

      Just a few more details, if anyone is really interested:
      This refusal to print doesn't happen all the time, just
      every now and then. Pushed to quantify, I'd say about
      one time out of three or so. The other interesting thing
      is that sometimes when this happens, if I tell NoteTab
      once again to print, *then* it prints. (Kind of like a
      child; gotta be told twice! Hah! :-) But other times,
      it won't print even if I tell it repeatedly to print.

      It's not the end of the world, of course, because I *can*
      paste into Word and print from there, but it sure would
      be nice if I could find out what was going on, and just
      be able to print directly from the NoteTab program.

      -- Steve

      Ray Shapp wrote:

      > Hi Group,
      >
      > About once or twice a month, my printer becomes invisible to NoteTab. I solve
      > the problem by rebooting the computer. It is a Brother Multifunction printer
      > (model MFC 7000) which is always connected to a phone line for faxes and for
      > use as an answering machine, therefore, it doesn't have an On/Off power
      > switch.
      >
      > The invisibility doesn't seem to be related to any in- or out-going phone
      > calls or FAXes. I do have Brother's latest driver for the printer.
      >
      > I have discovered this malfunction only when attempting to print from NTP,
      > however, when I discover the problem, I am then unable to print from any other
      > application.
      >
      > I'm running NTP v4.91 on a Win98 PC.
      >
      > Can anyone suggest another less disruptive way to wake up the printer?
      >
      > Ray Shapp
      > Watchung, NJ

    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 5, 2002
        Hi Steve,

        Thanks for the reply.

        >>>. I've solved the problem by copying and pasting from
        NoteTab into MS Word and printing from Word whenever I
        want to print something out, but that's just a workaround,
        I guess, not really a "solution". <<<<<<

        In my case, when I have tried pasting to Word, the print failure persists. A
        complete re-boot is always required to get the printer to respond.

        >>>.sometimes when this happens, if I tell NoteTab
        once again to print, *then* it prints. <<<<<<

        I always get the "retry" screen when the printer hangs, but clicking "retry"
        is never any help. Canceling the "retry" screen and attempting a second or
        third print is equally ineffective.

        >>. it's as though I hadn't printed anything. Nothing goes into
        the printer's queue,<<<<<<

        I'm wondering if anyone knows of some trick involving the device manager or
        some other system tool that will "unhang" a printer when it's not accepting
        files in its queue.

        This question looks like it isn't strictly NTP-related and, therefore, should
        be continued on the Off Topic list. I monitor that list all the time and will
        respond if any continuation of this thread continues in (
        ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com ).

        Regards,

        Ray Shapp
        Watchung, NJ
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 5, 2002
          > Steve LaMantia wrote:
          >
          > Hi, Ray.
          >
          > Pushed to quantify, I'd say about one time out of three or so. The
          other interesting thing is that sometimes when this happens, if I tell
          NoteTab once again to print, *then* it prints. (Kind of like a child;
          gotta be told twice! Hah! :-) But other times, it won't print even if
          I tell it repeatedly to print.

          > -- Steve
          >
          > > Ray Shapp wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Group,
          > >
          > > About once or twice a month, my printer becomes invisible to
          NoteTab. I solve the problem by rebooting the computer. It is a
          Brother Multifunction printer (model MFC 7000) which is always connected
          to a phone line for faxes and for use as an answering machine,
          therefore, it doesn't have an On/Off power switch.

          > > I'm running NTP v4.91 on a Win98 PC.
          > >
          > > Can anyone suggest another less disruptive way to wake up the printer?
          > >
          > > Ray Shapp
          > > Watchung, NJ

          Steve, Ray,

          You probably won't want to hear my guess, I presently use Win98 also,
          and I'm going to guess both printing problems are related to inadequate
          resources.

          I was, and still am, a fan of small utilities that run as TSR's in the
          system tray.

          I've had printing troubles, similar to yours, display problems of
          different types and several other things.

          Running fewer memory resident apps releases resources and helps a lot.
          Trimming out some of these and keeping your hard disk defragged will
          help a great deal.

          I used to start having trouble after a couple of hours of activity,
          after trimming some TSR's I 'may' not have to reboot at all during the
          day. I boot up around 7:00-7:30am every day and shut down, usually,
          after midnight.

          hrs
        • Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 5, 2002
            Hi HRS,

            resources.<<<<

            That's definitely a possibility. If I were to close some big applications
            without re-booting, would that wake up a hung printer, or is it irretrievable
            once the printer freezes?

            Thanks for the insight.

            Ray Shapp
            Watchung, NJ
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 6, 2002
              > Ray Shapp wrote:
              >
              > Hi HRS,
              >
              > That's definitely a possibility. If I were to close some big
              applications
              > without re-booting, would that wake up a hung printer, or is it
              irretrievable
              > once the printer freezes?
              >
              > Thanks for the insight.
              >
              > Ray Shapp
              > Watchung, NJ

              Ray,

              I'll respond here but lets take this OffTopic, it's not directly related
              to NoteTab usability.

              Yes, that may help, also opening and closing one or two other
              applications might help. It's kind of like memory CPR, kick it around
              to get it going again.

              Other items I recall helping: If this applies, You don't need the memory
              resident -printer control interface icon- in your tray, the printer
              starts just fine without it, and, if you're using a mouse control that
              adds an icon to the system tray you don't need that either.

              One thing you may lose, though not necessarily so, is mouse wheel
              scrolling, small price to pay for not having to reboot several times a day.

              One other, seemingly counter-productive item. I use a memory utility
              called RamIdle, there are others. Ramidle have a choice of what to
              display in the system tray and I display a resource meter.

              By getting used to and using the resource meter count you can watch for
              the critical percentage area and try the memory CPR methods before you
              actually start having too much trouble.

              Although I'm not the greatest of MS fans, I've been told that XP, for
              the most part, solves the resource problem.

              Zdnet has a nice gui utility, StartCop, to show and let you control most
              of the things you have running in the background, You can temporarily
              disable, or, remove these items from the Startup menu. Here's the link.

              http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,4148,2130,00.asp

              hrs