Re: Regular Expression Help

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 5, 2002
      Hi Veli,

      It appears you have some spaces at line ends, so you must trim blanks
      before trying the following. It is useful to display non-printing
      characters when working with regexp. It is possible to write
      expressions that allow for spaces at line ends, but why complicate
      things unless you need the spaces?

      1)Find: {<p>\n}{<h[0-9]>.*</h[0-9]>\n}
      Replace: \2\1
      RegExp: X

      2)Find: {<p>\n}{<h[0-9]>.*</h[0-9]>\n}</p>\n+<p>\n
      Replace: \2\1
      RegExp: X

      The "find" parts in curly braces become numbered fields referenced in
      the replace clauses. The parts in square brackets show the range of
      acceptable values for that position. The \n+ means one or more new
      lines. The .* Means any number of characters except new lines.

      Hope they works ok. If this is something you might want to use again
      sometime you could save the replace commands in clips. Come over to
      the clips list if you'd like help doing that.

      Regards,
      Sheri
    • bizshop1
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
        I'm trying to use the regular expression function and have spent the
        last * hours trying different combos, searching the web, etc.

        I have lines similar to:

        include("masthead.php");
        blueFont("Arial","How many additional copies of \"$title\" do you
        want?");

        I'm shifting to CSS and want to change second line to

        include("masthead.php");
        echo "How many additional copies of \"$title\" do you want?";

        The enclosed $ or \" are causing me fits....
      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
          If you have the first section of text selected with the RegExp option
          previously enabled in the Replace dialog box, the Replace dialog will
          escape certain characters effectively changing \"$title\" into
          \\"\$title\\" is that what you are referring to?

          If so, try unchecking the RegExp option first, then enabling it after
          you have the text entered.

          John

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "bizshop1" <steve@b...> wrote:
          > I'm trying to use the regular expression function and have spent
          the
          > last * hours trying different combos, searching the web, etc.
          >
          > I have lines similar to:
          >
          > include("masthead.php");
          > blueFont("Arial","How many additional copies of \"$title\" do you
          > want?");
          >
          > I'm shifting to CSS and want to change second line to
          >
          > include("masthead.php");
          > echo "How many additional copies of \"$title\" do you want?";
          >
          > The enclosed $ or \" are causing me fits....
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
            Bishop

            Greg's advice about allowing Notetab to help by auto-converting to handle
            some of the characters that need to be escaped should help.

            For your specific example (w/o the "=="):

            RegExp: ==blueFont\("Arial",{".*}\);\s*$==
            Replace: ==echo "\1==

            Note: the \s* on the end is in case you have trailing spaces

            It may be possible to do it more generally than this, but you might be
            getting trapped by the " at the end of the font name and the " in \"title\".
            Notetab's current rage is greedy to if you have any sort of a wildcard
            before a " it will run all the way to the last one.

            If there are several fonts that are all to get reduced to an "echo",
            something like this might work:
            (("Arial")|("Helvetica")|("anyotherFONT")) in place of the specific "Arial"
            though I confess that I wasn't able to get this one to work - probably some
            silly typo I'm missing.

            the \s* at the end is in case there are trailing spaces.

            If you do need the more general case, post back with 5 or 6 examples of what
            you're starting with, and what you need to end up with.

            Regards ... Alec

          • james.homme@highmark.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 2, 2003
              Hi,
              Why won't an exact replace work?

              Thanks.

              Jim

              "bizshop1"
              <steve@... To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
              m> cc:
              Subject: [NTB] Regular Expression Help
              09/01/2003 07:10
              AM
              Please respond to
              notetab

              I'm trying to use the regular expression function and have spent the
              last * hours trying different combos, searching the web, etc.

              I have lines similar to:

              include("masthead.php");
              blueFont("Arial","How many additional copies of \"$title\" do you
              want?");

              I'm shifting to CSS and want to change second line to

              include("masthead.php");
              echo "How many additional copies of \"$title\" do you want?";

              The enclosed $ or \" are causing me fits....

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor