Re: [NTB] List Moderators

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 9, 2002
      Jim Hall wrote:

      > Joe,
      >
      > > The problem is -- is that when I make a change with an image and
      refresh
      > > the page I either don't get an image or nothing changes.
      >

      > Quite often the Host Server uses a cache which is updated every
      > 15-30 minutes or so.
      >
      > The changes you make will not appear until the next update.
      >
      > The time and specifics are dependent on individual hosts.
      >
      > This is just another exercise in patience brought to you by your
      > use of computers. :-)
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Jim

      Joe,

      Jim is correct about server updating. On my local ISP I've had to wait
      much longer than 30 minutes in the past.

      One other thing you might try is clearing your onboard browser cache.
      Under certain conditions you just keep loading the cached page.

      hrs
    • JSB
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 9, 2002
        Jim and hrs,

        A note of clarity.

        In my editor when I wrote the html I did so in such a way as to specify that an image was indeed in the <dir>images and named the particular gif image.

        Now whether I have the html page in the parent <dir> or in the image <dir> when I execute a browser integration I see the web site but no images,

        I seem to have a miscue but I can't see the forest for the trees!

        Anything come to your minds?

        Kind regards,
        Joe

      • Mark Winslow
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 9, 2002
          Since your various messages have nothing to do with
          List Moderators, or NT basics, please take them to the
          HTML list or, at least, change the subject line so
          those of us without interest in your discourse can
          delete them without viewing them.
          TIA

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 9, 2002
            Many apologies!

            JSB

          • Jim Hall
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 9, 2002
              Joe,

              At 12:18 PM 11/9/2002 -0800, you wrote:
              >Jim and hrs,
              >
              >A note of clarity.
              >
              >In my editor when I wrote the html I did so in such a way as to specify that an image was indeed in the <dir>images and named the particular gif image.
              >
              >Now whether I have the html page in the parent <dir> or in the image <dir> when I execute a browser integration I see the web site but no images,
              >
              >I seem to have a miscue but I can't see the forest for the trees!
              >
              >Anything come to your minds?

              A couple of things come to mind.

              1. Are you transferring the image files as ascii or binary? Transfer the image files as binary files and the HTML documents as ascii. If your FTP client has an auto option read up on how it actually works when it is selected.

              2. Just to be safe, make sure you use ALL lower case for the paths and image file names and for the links in your HTML document.

              3. Don't use any spaces in the image file names. If you want a separator use an underscore.

              There are situations where these may not apply or be necessary but the times/places where they are not will come to you as you gain more experience with your host and how they have set up the server and your site.

              Regards,

              Jim
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 14, 2002
                Hi Julie, Cindy, and Others,

                > ROFLMAO!!!! Oh Jody!!!!! He had the names right, but he
                > twisted up the email addresses. Julie is at mindspring and I'm
                > at ctol.

                Thanks for doing the lists while I was away. You know how my
                errors really increase when I'm in a rush. I type/do w/o
                thinking. I practically have both your eMail addresses memorized
                and can put the correct name on them at least 2 out of 3 times
                correctly. <g> I'll be doing a lot of "catch up" mail and hope to
                get to list mail tomorrow. Thanks again everybody.

                >That would be
                >
                >Julie:
                >mailto:jlg61@...
                >
                >Cindy:
                >mailto:cas@...

              • Gossie
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 14, 2002
                  Well, hey, it's ok, we love you anyway!!! ;-)