RE: [NTB] List Moderators

  • jlg61@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 8, 2002
      That would be

      Julie:
      mailto:jlg61@...

      Cindy:
      mailto:cas@...

      :-)

      http://mail2web.com/ .
    • JSB
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 8, 2002
        Hey Guys,

        Important question .........

        I'm trying to 'see' my home page in the browser while working with my ftp server and all is well.

        The problem is -- is that when I make a change with an image and refresh the page I either don't get an image or nothing changes.

        I have the html file and its images in the same directory -- is there something I'm doing wrong and don't 'see' it?

        Help me out here<g>.

        Kind regards,
        Joe

      • Jim Hall
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 8, 2002
          Joe,

          >The problem is -- is that when I make a change with an image and refresh the page I either don't get an image or nothing changes.
          >
          >I have the html file and its images in the same directory -- is there something I'm doing wrong and don't 'see' it?
          >
          >Help me out here<g>.

          Quite often the Host Server uses a cache which is updated every 15-30 minutes or so.

          The changes you make will not appear until the next update.

          The time and specifics are dependent on individual hosts.

          This is just another exercise in patience brought to you by your use of computers. :-)

          Regards,

          Jim
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 9, 2002
            Jim Hall wrote:

            > Joe,
            >
            > > The problem is -- is that when I make a change with an image and
            refresh
            > > the page I either don't get an image or nothing changes.
            >

            > Quite often the Host Server uses a cache which is updated every
            > 15-30 minutes or so.
            >
            > The changes you make will not appear until the next update.
            >
            > The time and specifics are dependent on individual hosts.
            >
            > This is just another exercise in patience brought to you by your
            > use of computers. :-)
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Jim

            Joe,

            Jim is correct about server updating. On my local ISP I've had to wait
            much longer than 30 minutes in the past.

            One other thing you might try is clearing your onboard browser cache.
            Under certain conditions you just keep loading the cached page.

            hrs
          • JSB
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 9, 2002
              Jim and hrs,

              A note of clarity.

              In my editor when I wrote the html I did so in such a way as to specify that an image was indeed in the <dir>images and named the particular gif image.

              Now whether I have the html page in the parent <dir> or in the image <dir> when I execute a browser integration I see the web site but no images,

              I seem to have a miscue but I can't see the forest for the trees!

              Anything come to your minds?

              Kind regards,
              Joe

            • Mark Winslow
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 9, 2002
                Since your various messages have nothing to do with
                List Moderators, or NT basics, please take them to the
                HTML list or, at least, change the subject line so
                those of us without interest in your discourse can
                delete them without viewing them.
                TIA

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 9, 2002
                  Many apologies!

                  JSB

                • Jim Hall
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 9, 2002
                    Joe,

                    At 12:18 PM 11/9/2002 -0800, you wrote:
                    >Jim and hrs,
                    >
                    >A note of clarity.
                    >
                    >In my editor when I wrote the html I did so in such a way as to specify that an image was indeed in the <dir>images and named the particular gif image.
                    >
                    >Now whether I have the html page in the parent <dir> or in the image <dir> when I execute a browser integration I see the web site but no images,
                    >
                    >I seem to have a miscue but I can't see the forest for the trees!
                    >
                    >Anything come to your minds?

                    A couple of things come to mind.

                    1. Are you transferring the image files as ascii or binary? Transfer the image files as binary files and the HTML documents as ascii. If your FTP client has an auto option read up on how it actually works when it is selected.

                    2. Just to be safe, make sure you use ALL lower case for the paths and image file names and for the links in your HTML document.

                    3. Don't use any spaces in the image file names. If you want a separator use an underscore.

                    There are situations where these may not apply or be necessary but the times/places where they are not will come to you as you gain more experience with your host and how they have set up the server and your site.

                    Regards,

                    Jim
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 14, 2002
                      Hi Julie, Cindy, and Others,

                      > ROFLMAO!!!! Oh Jody!!!!! He had the names right, but he
                      > twisted up the email addresses. Julie is at mindspring and I'm
                      > at ctol.

                      Thanks for doing the lists while I was away. You know how my
                      errors really increase when I'm in a rush. I type/do w/o
                      thinking. I practically have both your eMail addresses memorized
                      and can put the correct name on them at least 2 out of 3 times
                      correctly. <g> I'll be doing a lot of "catch up" mail and hope to
                      get to list mail tomorrow. Thanks again everybody.

                      >That would be
                      >
                      >Julie:
                      >mailto:jlg61@...
                      >
                      >Cindy:
                      >mailto:cas@...

                    • Gossie
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 14, 2002
                        Well, hey, it's ok, we love you anyway!!! ;-)