RE: [NTB] Sound on a web site

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2002
      Hi Chris,

      > I want to put a signature tune on the opening page of a web site. I have
      > discovered that some computers have difficulties if I just get it to do it
      > at onload.

      I plead that you forget this idea!

      While I can understand the desire to create a complete audio-visual
      experience, it means that your page will inevitably take a long time to
      download.

      Home pages that take more than a few seconds to download are usually
      reckoned to be the ones that people give up on and don't visit again.

      If you insist on the signature tune and all the graphics you can muster then
      offer it one click away from your true home page, allowing those with less
      powerful machines and internet connections still to be able to see the
      material on your site with being slowed to a crawl.

      > What is the best format to use: .mid .wav .mpg

      None of those! (not even miles per gallon? :-) They all require that the
      visitor's machine hangs, in complete inactivity, for a complete download of
      the file before anything at all will happen, an absolute certain visitor
      killer! You need to stream the music. The most popular choice for that
      would be Real Player.

      > and how to control/filter so
      > that users of computers that do not have the plug-in can chose which way
      > go - forget the music or get the plug-in.

      I'd have a very simple home page with links to different versions of your
      site depending on the plug-ins the visitor has available or what options
      they wish to turn on.

      But I still worry about the very concept of a "signature tune". Will that
      tune really provide worthwhile additional information to the site visitor -
      or is it just your idea of pleasant "musak"! (Probably not mine!) I feel
      myself reaching for the volume control already! :-(

      Rant over!

      And good luck with the site!

      Greg
    • Richard Didcock
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2002
        the best is midi,as a wave is much bigger and takes longer to load ,plus you
        also get lag if it is playing.
        From Mr Richard The Dickieaus
        Have A Nice Day
        dickieaus@...
        http://home.iprimus.com.au/dickieaus
        > Anybody out there can help me with sound on a website please
        >
        > I want to put a signature tune on the opening page of a web site. I have
        > discovered that some computers have difficulties if I just get it to do it
        > at onload.
        >
        > What is the best format to use: .mid .wav .mpg and how to control/filter
        so
        > that users of computers that do not have the plug-in can chose which way
        > go - forget the music or get the plug-in.
        >
        > Thanks
        >

        > > Chris Dart

      • Dart Chris
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 6, 2002
          Hi Greg,

          Yea well - you could have .kpl.

          Seriously though I was not planning on anything very long - about 10 / 15
          secs, similar to the opening noise of win 98 etc. It is planned only for the
          intro and I already have a "skip intro" button. I was hoping to avoid Real
          Player etc. I have discovered that midi files work great, only a few bytes
          (less than 1k) - IF your sound card has a synthesiser function, otherwise -
          problems!

          I think I'll leave that idea on the back burner for a while anyway -
          priorities!

          Thanks for the response.

          Chris Dart

          > I want to put a signature tune on the opening page of a web site. I have
          > discovered that some computers have difficulties if I just get it to do it
          > at onload.

          I plead that you forget this idea!

          While I can understand the desire to create a complete audio-visual
          experience, it means that your page will inevitably take a long time to
          download.

          Home pages that take more than a few seconds to download are usually
          reckoned to be the ones that people give up on and don't visit again.

          If you insist on the signature tune and all the graphics you can muster then
          offer it one click away from your true home page, allowing those with less
          powerful machines and internet connections still to be able to see the
          material on your site with being slowed to a crawl.

          > What is the best format to use: .mid .wav .mpg

          None of those! (not even miles per gallon? :-) They all require that the
          visitor's machine hangs, in complete inactivity, for a complete download of
          the file before anything at all will happen, an absolute certain visitor
          killer! You need to stream the music. The most popular choice for that
          would be Real Player.

          > and how to control/filter so
          > that users of computers that do not have the plug-in can chose which way
          > go - forget the music or get the plug-in.

          I'd have a very simple home page with links to different versions of your
          site depending on the plug-ins the visitor has available or what options
          they wish to turn on.

          But I still worry about the very concept of a "signature tune". Will that
          tune really provide worthwhile additional information to the site visitor -
          or is it just your idea of pleasant "musak"! (Probably not mine!) I feel
          myself reaching for the volume control already! :-(

          Rant over!

          And good luck with the site!

          Greg

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=237459.2482214.3917349.2146399/D=egroupweb/S=17050073
          89:HM/A=1267611/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/N2524.Yahoo/B1071650;sz=
          300x250;ord=1036501678860645?>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=237459.2482214.3917349.2146399/D=egroupmai
          l/S=:HM/A=1267611/rand=930183715>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 6, 2002
            Hi All,

            >Subject: [NTB] Sound on a web site

            If you need to discuss the HTML/Sound more, please sign up for
            the HTML list. Please see my signature line to subscribe to it.
            TIA

            Happy HTML'n!

            Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options