Sound on a web site

  • Dart Chris
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2002
      Anybody out there can help me with sound on a website please

      I want to put a signature tune on the opening page of a web site. I have
      discovered that some computers have difficulties if I just get it to do it
      at onload.

      What is the best format to use: .mid .wav .mpg and how to control/filter so
      that users of computers that do not have the plug-in can chose which way to
      go - forget the music or get the plug-in.

      Thanks

      > Chris Dart

    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2002
        Hi Chris,

        > I want to put a signature tune on the opening page of a web site. I have
        > discovered that some computers have difficulties if I just get it to do it
        > at onload.

        I plead that you forget this idea!

        While I can understand the desire to create a complete audio-visual
        experience, it means that your page will inevitably take a long time to
        download.

        Home pages that take more than a few seconds to download are usually
        reckoned to be the ones that people give up on and don't visit again.

        If you insist on the signature tune and all the graphics you can muster then
        offer it one click away from your true home page, allowing those with less
        powerful machines and internet connections still to be able to see the
        material on your site with being slowed to a crawl.

        > What is the best format to use: .mid .wav .mpg

        None of those! (not even miles per gallon? :-) They all require that the
        visitor's machine hangs, in complete inactivity, for a complete download of
        the file before anything at all will happen, an absolute certain visitor
        killer! You need to stream the music. The most popular choice for that
        would be Real Player.

        > and how to control/filter so
        > that users of computers that do not have the plug-in can chose which way
        > go - forget the music or get the plug-in.

        I'd have a very simple home page with links to different versions of your
        site depending on the plug-ins the visitor has available or what options
        they wish to turn on.

        But I still worry about the very concept of a "signature tune". Will that
        tune really provide worthwhile additional information to the site visitor -
        or is it just your idea of pleasant "musak"! (Probably not mine!) I feel
        myself reaching for the volume control already! :-(

        Rant over!

        And good luck with the site!

        Greg
      • Richard Didcock
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2002
          the best is midi,as a wave is much bigger and takes longer to load ,plus you
          also get lag if it is playing.
          From Mr Richard The Dickieaus
          Have A Nice Day
          dickieaus@...
          http://home.iprimus.com.au/dickieaus
          > Anybody out there can help me with sound on a website please
          >
          > I want to put a signature tune on the opening page of a web site. I have
          > discovered that some computers have difficulties if I just get it to do it
          > at onload.
          >
          > What is the best format to use: .mid .wav .mpg and how to control/filter
          so
          > that users of computers that do not have the plug-in can chose which way
          > go - forget the music or get the plug-in.
          >
          > Thanks
          >

          > > Chris Dart

        • Dart Chris
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 6, 2002
            Hi Greg,

            Yea well - you could have .kpl.

            Seriously though I was not planning on anything very long - about 10 / 15
            secs, similar to the opening noise of win 98 etc. It is planned only for the
            intro and I already have a "skip intro" button. I was hoping to avoid Real
            Player etc. I have discovered that midi files work great, only a few bytes
            (less than 1k) - IF your sound card has a synthesiser function, otherwise -
            problems!

            I think I'll leave that idea on the back burner for a while anyway -
            priorities!

            Thanks for the response.

            Chris Dart

            > I want to put a signature tune on the opening page of a web site. I have
            > discovered that some computers have difficulties if I just get it to do it
            > at onload.

            I plead that you forget this idea!

            While I can understand the desire to create a complete audio-visual
            experience, it means that your page will inevitably take a long time to
            download.

            Home pages that take more than a few seconds to download are usually
            reckoned to be the ones that people give up on and don't visit again.

            If you insist on the signature tune and all the graphics you can muster then
            offer it one click away from your true home page, allowing those with less
            powerful machines and internet connections still to be able to see the
            material on your site with being slowed to a crawl.

            > What is the best format to use: .mid .wav .mpg

            None of those! (not even miles per gallon? :-) They all require that the
            visitor's machine hangs, in complete inactivity, for a complete download of
            the file before anything at all will happen, an absolute certain visitor
            killer! You need to stream the music. The most popular choice for that
            would be Real Player.

            > and how to control/filter so
            > that users of computers that do not have the plug-in can chose which way
            > go - forget the music or get the plug-in.

            I'd have a very simple home page with links to different versions of your
            site depending on the plug-ins the visitor has available or what options
            they wish to turn on.

            But I still worry about the very concept of a "signature tune". Will that
            tune really provide worthwhile additional information to the site visitor -
            or is it just your idea of pleasant "musak"! (Probably not mine!) I feel
            myself reaching for the volume control already! :-(

            Rant over!

            And good luck with the site!

            Greg

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=237459.2482214.3917349.2146399/D=egroupweb/S=17050073
            89:HM/A=1267611/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/N2524.Yahoo/B1071650;sz=
            300x250;ord=1036501678860645?>

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=237459.2482214.3917349.2146399/D=egroupmai
            l/S=:HM/A=1267611/rand=930183715>

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 6, 2002
              Hi All,

              >Subject: [NTB] Sound on a web site

              If you need to discuss the HTML/Sound more, please sign up for
              the HTML list. Please see my signature line to subscribe to it.
              TIA

              Happy HTML'n!

              Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options