Re: [NTB] Another tab question

  • David Weiszbrod
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2002
      Hugo, Don, I used Don's method which required a change.

      \s\s{\s*} requires REGULAR EXP. to be checked in the
      find/replace box. That searches two or more, not three
      or more. Also ^T puts ^T in its place. It has to be
      \t. I think it has to do with "REGULAR EXP." I have
      not researched the difference. ^T works in non regular
      exp.

      Having a built in function makes it easy. Although I
      now can search some special characters that may not
      have a built in function.

      Thanks, Dave

      > Don, Dave,
      >
      > Dave asked...
      > > > New question on tabs. How can I take an existing file and replace
      > > > strings of spaces with a single tab. One of the files is over 3000
      > > > lines so stripping out the spaces would shrink it a bit.
      > > >

      > Don answerred...
      > > yes you can
      > > I think a clip would be the most efficient if you do it often,
      > > but a regex search and replace would do it fine also
      >
      > Although it is tempting to suggest a clip for different kinds of
      > things this is a built-in command :-)
      >
      > Modify/Spaces/Single Tab
      >
      > [statusbar: Converts multiple adjacent blank spaces to a tab
      > character]
      >
      > Hugo

    • hugo_paulissen
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2002
        Dave,

        > \s\s{\s*} requires REGULAR EXP. to be checked in the
        > find/replace box. That searches two or more, not three
        > or more. Also ^T puts ^T in its place. It has to be
        > \t.

        CORRECT,

        If you search for a regular expression you need to use specific
        character-combinations to perform a search. Consult your help file
        and experiment with them. In the beginning it may seem difficult to
        master, but when you know the tricks you can really do amazing things
        with regular expressions...

        In this case you could try \s\s+ instead of Don's suggestion. You've
        found the regular expression-alternative for ^t yourself.

        I think it has to do with "REGULAR EXP." I have
        > not researched the difference. ^T works in non regular
        > exp.

        Hugo