Re: [NTB] Rebuilding SysTray icon following Explorer crashes

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
      Tarkus: Just got Tray Manager 2 : It works perfectly with Win2K as it
      used to with Win98.

      Regards ... Alec
      --
      -------------------------

      Tarkus wrote (Thu, 31-Oct-2002 18:16 [GMT-0500]):
      > Would it be possible to add code to NTP to rebuild the tray icon after
      > an Explorer crash, as many other apps do? The only way I can get it
      > back now is to re-load it, so I can get the window to show, then exit,
      > and then re-load it again.
      >
      > Thanks. :)
    • Tarkus
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
        • On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 02:39:28 -0500
        • "Alec Burgess" <burale@...> wrote:

        > Try free PCMag utility TrayManager 2

        Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd rather not have to run a separate
        program, if the problem can be fixed in NTP. Other programs have been
        updated to rebuild tray icons when Explorer crashes, so I'm pretty sure
        that the same could be done to NTP.

        Thanks again.
        --
        "In Vegas, I got into a long argument with the man at the roulette wheel
        over what I considered to be an odd number." - Steven Wright
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
          Tarkus wrote (Fri, 01-Nov-2002 10:58 [GMT-0500]):
          > . On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 02:39:28 -0500
          > . "Alec Burgess" <burale@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Try free PCMag utility TrayManager 2
          >
          > Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd rather not have to run a separate
          > program, if the problem can be fixed in NTP. Other programs have been
          > updated to rebuild tray icons when Explorer crashes, so I'm pretty
          > sure that the same could be done to NTP.

          Suit yourself ;-) but when I deliberately crash Explorer (in Win2K); of
          the twenty-five icons normally in sysTray (five of which I hide with
          TrayManager in normal usage) only seven or eight still show up
          afterwards. When I use TrayManager - they all come back.

          That's a lot of software authors you'll have to convince to make the
          "trivial" fix to their otherwise correctly running programs. Let us know
          how you make out!

          > Thanks again.
          Regards ... Alec
          --
          -------------------------
        • Tarkus
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
            • On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 13:29:51 -0500
            • "Alec Burgess" <burale@...> wrote:

            > Suit yourself ;-) but when I deliberately crash Explorer (in Win2K); of
            > the twenty-five icons normally in sysTray (five of which I hide with
            > TrayManager in normal usage) only seven or eight still show up
            > afterwards. When I use TrayManager - they all come back.
            >
            > That's a lot of software authors you'll have to convince to make the
            > "trivial" fix to their otherwise correctly running programs. Let us know
            > how you make out!

            Most of my tray icons I keep hidden anyway, using XP's custom
            notifications. Of the ones I use regularly, most already repair
            themselves. Ironically, one that doesn't is the Task Manager, but it's
            a right-click away in the taskbar, so it's easy to fix.
            --
            "I'm not wearing any pants. Film at eleven"
          • Christine
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
              There is a way to have Explorer run separate instances, which prevents all
              the programs in the Systray from being shut down when Windows crashes and
              reloads. It's a registry entry, but I'll be darned if I can remember where
              I saw it. I'll do a little searching, because I could sure use it myself.

              Christine
            • Brian Binder
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
                This should do it:

                http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php?id=950

                Brian

                There is a way to have Explorer run separate instances, which prevents all
                the programs in the Systray from being shut down when Windows crashes and
                reloads. It's a registry entry, but I'll be darned if I can remember where
                I saw it. I'll do a little searching, because I could sure use it myself.

                Christine

                Get 128 Bit SSL Encryption!
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/JjlUgA/vN2EAA/kG8FAA/dkFolB/TM