Re: [NTB] Rebuilding SysTray icon following Explorer crashes

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 2002
      Tarkus:
      Try free PCMag utility TrayManager 2

      I'd used this on Win98 and since switching to Win2K have been noticing
      that sometimes after boot that icons that "normally" appear in systray
      just aren't there even though the underlying program appears in
      TaskManager processes list. From the description of this program, it
      looks like this program may be able to resolve my problem and also the
      Explorer crash problem.

      My workaround up to now on Win2K has been to use TaskManager to kill the
      aberrant program and then restart it from a shortcut kept in a toolbar
      on my taskbar. Hopefully this will be a "better" mousetrap.

      Note: Google - "tray icon explorer crash" finds a bunch of other
      references.

      If you want followup, probably better to continue on Ntb-Off topic.

      Regards ... Alec
      --
      -------------------------

      Tarkus wrote (Thu, 31-Oct-2002 18:16 [GMT-0500]):
      > Would it be possible to add code to NTP to rebuild the tray icon after
      > an Explorer crash, as many other apps do? The only way I can get it
      > back now is to re-load it, so I can get the window to show, then exit,
      > and then re-load it again.
      >
      > Thanks. :)
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
        Tarkus: Just got Tray Manager 2 : It works perfectly with Win2K as it
        used to with Win98.

        Regards ... Alec
        --
        -------------------------

        Tarkus wrote (Thu, 31-Oct-2002 18:16 [GMT-0500]):
        > Would it be possible to add code to NTP to rebuild the tray icon after
        > an Explorer crash, as many other apps do? The only way I can get it
        > back now is to re-load it, so I can get the window to show, then exit,
        > and then re-load it again.
        >
        > Thanks. :)
      • Tarkus
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
          • On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 02:39:28 -0500
          • "Alec Burgess" <burale@...> wrote:

          > Try free PCMag utility TrayManager 2

          Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd rather not have to run a separate
          program, if the problem can be fixed in NTP. Other programs have been
          updated to rebuild tray icons when Explorer crashes, so I'm pretty sure
          that the same could be done to NTP.

          Thanks again.
          --
          "In Vegas, I got into a long argument with the man at the roulette wheel
          over what I considered to be an odd number." - Steven Wright
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
            Tarkus wrote (Fri, 01-Nov-2002 10:58 [GMT-0500]):
            > . On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 02:39:28 -0500
            > . "Alec Burgess" <burale@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Try free PCMag utility TrayManager 2
            >
            > Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd rather not have to run a separate
            > program, if the problem can be fixed in NTP. Other programs have been
            > updated to rebuild tray icons when Explorer crashes, so I'm pretty
            > sure that the same could be done to NTP.

            Suit yourself ;-) but when I deliberately crash Explorer (in Win2K); of
            the twenty-five icons normally in sysTray (five of which I hide with
            TrayManager in normal usage) only seven or eight still show up
            afterwards. When I use TrayManager - they all come back.

            That's a lot of software authors you'll have to convince to make the
            "trivial" fix to their otherwise correctly running programs. Let us know
            how you make out!

            > Thanks again.
            Regards ... Alec
            --
            -------------------------
          • Tarkus
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
              • On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 13:29:51 -0500
              • "Alec Burgess" <burale@...> wrote:

              > Suit yourself ;-) but when I deliberately crash Explorer (in Win2K); of
              > the twenty-five icons normally in sysTray (five of which I hide with
              > TrayManager in normal usage) only seven or eight still show up
              > afterwards. When I use TrayManager - they all come back.
              >
              > That's a lot of software authors you'll have to convince to make the
              > "trivial" fix to their otherwise correctly running programs. Let us know
              > how you make out!

              Most of my tray icons I keep hidden anyway, using XP's custom
              notifications. Of the ones I use regularly, most already repair
              themselves. Ironically, one that doesn't is the Task Manager, but it's
              a right-click away in the taskbar, so it's easy to fix.
              --
              "I'm not wearing any pants. Film at eleven"
            • Christine
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
                There is a way to have Explorer run separate instances, which prevents all
                the programs in the Systray from being shut down when Windows crashes and
                reloads. It's a registry entry, but I'll be darned if I can remember where
                I saw it. I'll do a little searching, because I could sure use it myself.

                Christine
              • Brian Binder
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
                  This should do it:

                  http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php?id=950

                  Brian

                  There is a way to have Explorer run separate instances, which prevents all
                  the programs in the Systray from being shut down when Windows crashes and
                  reloads. It's a registry entry, but I'll be darned if I can remember where
                  I saw it. I'll do a little searching, because I could sure use it myself.

                  Christine

                  Get 128 Bit SSL Encryption!
                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/JjlUgA/vN2EAA/kG8FAA/dkFolB/TM