Re: [NTB] Another tab question

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2002
      yes you can
      I think a clip would be the most efficient if you do it often, but a regex
      search and replace would do it fine also

      open search and replace (after making a backup copy of your file ... just in
      case 8^)
      search for \s{\s*}
      which will find any instance of two or more spaces
      or \s\s{\s*}
      which will find three or more, depending on preference
      and replace with
      ^T
      which is a tab.
      You may want to use view > non-printing characters before doing this so you
      can see what you are finding and replacing.

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2002
        Don, Dave,

        Dave asked...
        > > New question on tabs. How can I take an existing file and replace
        > > strings of spaces with a single tab. One of the files is over 3000
        > > lines so stripping out the spaces would shrink it a bit.

        Don answerred...
        > yes you can
        > I think a clip would be the most efficient if you do it often,
        > but a regex search and replace would do it fine also

        Although it is tempting to suggest a clip for different kinds of
        things this is a built-in command :-)

        Modify/Spaces/Single Tab

        [statusbar: Converts multiple adjacent blank spaces to a tab
        character]

        Hugo
      • David Weiszbrod
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2002
          Hugo, Don, I used Don's method which required a change.

          \s\s{\s*} requires REGULAR EXP. to be checked in the
          find/replace box. That searches two or more, not three
          or more. Also ^T puts ^T in its place. It has to be
          \t. I think it has to do with "REGULAR EXP." I have
          not researched the difference. ^T works in non regular
          exp.

          Having a built in function makes it easy. Although I
          now can search some special characters that may not
          have a built in function.

          Thanks, Dave

          > Don, Dave,
          >
          > Dave asked...
          > > > New question on tabs. How can I take an existing file and replace
          > > > strings of spaces with a single tab. One of the files is over 3000
          > > > lines so stripping out the spaces would shrink it a bit.
          > > >

          > Don answerred...
          > > yes you can
          > > I think a clip would be the most efficient if you do it often,
          > > but a regex search and replace would do it fine also
          >
          > Although it is tempting to suggest a clip for different kinds of
          > things this is a built-in command :-)
          >
          > Modify/Spaces/Single Tab
          >
          > [statusbar: Converts multiple adjacent blank spaces to a tab
          > character]
          >
          > Hugo

        • hugo_paulissen
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2002
            Dave,

            > \s\s{\s*} requires REGULAR EXP. to be checked in the
            > find/replace box. That searches two or more, not three
            > or more. Also ^T puts ^T in its place. It has to be
            > \t.

            CORRECT,

            If you search for a regular expression you need to use specific
            character-combinations to perform a search. Consult your help file
            and experiment with them. In the beginning it may seem difficult to
            master, but when you know the tricks you can really do amazing things
            with regular expressions...

            In this case you could try \s\s+ instead of Don's suggestion. You've
            found the regular expression-alternative for ^t yourself.

            I think it has to do with "REGULAR EXP." I have
            > not researched the difference. ^T works in non regular
            > exp.

            Hugo