Spelling, Thesaurus, Dictionaries!

  • Wayland Fowler
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2002
      Re: Spelling, Thesaurus, Dictionaries!

      Hi group,

      Say, I have NoteTab Pro 4.91. I think I read, in the help, file that
      the dictionary should have come with the "Pro" version, though I can not
      seen to get my spell checker to work. Is there something I am
      overlooking, or something simple I should do to get it to work, or do I
      need to go to http://www.notetab.com/dictionaries.htm to download it?

      Thanks,
      Wayland

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 30, 2002
        Hi Wayland,

        It depends on when you bought NoteTab Pro whether they came with
        the program or not. If you do not see them in NoteTab's
        Dictionaries folder, then the following will aid you in
        installing the English dictionaries and thesaurus. (If you want
        other dictionaries installed you need to manually install them
        from a zip file as described below.)

        You need to properly install dictionaries before you can use the
        Spell Checker and thesaurus. The following is how to install and
        use the American English dictionaries and thesaurus. Download and
        install the following installation program by clicking on
        "dicts.exe" after downloading it. All the dictionaries and the
        thesaurus go into NoteTab's Dictionaries folder.

        Setup program with English dictionaries and thesaurus (size 1,394
        KB; updated 8 May 2000) http://www.notetab.com/ftp/dicts.exe

        The following files should be installed to NoteTab's Dictionaries
        folder:

        English.dct (..\NoteTab Pro\Dictionaries\English.dct)
        AmerAdd.dct (..\NoteTab Pro\Dictionaries\AmerAdd.dct)
        English.thr (..\NoteTab Pro\Dictionaries\English.thr)

        The end result in the Spell Checker configuration (View | Spell
        Checker Options...) window should be the following. Make sure the
        boxes are checked.

        Base English v2.01
        American Add-on v2.01

        To use the Spell Checker simply load a document and press the
        Spell Check button. To use the thesaurus simply press F12 or
        click on Tools | Thesaurus.

        If you still have problems, close NoteTab and delete Spell.cfg
        found in its main folder. Start NoteTab and run the Spell
        Checker. When you are asked to configure the Spell Checker, do so
        at that time.

        Please press Help in the Spell Checker at any time it is open for
        more details and/or also press Options in the same dialog to set
        some options. You may also get to the same information from View
        | Spell Checker Options...

        Installing other dictionaries will be similar although they come
        in a compressed zip file. Additional dictionaries are located at
        our dictionaries page and do not have an installation program.
        Extract them into the Dictionaries folder and use the Add button
        in View | Spell-checker Options... to get them configured.

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2002
          Re: Spelling, Thesaurus, Dictionaries!

          Hi Jody and the rest of the group.

          > It depends on when you bought NoteTab Pro whether they came with the
          program or not.

          I bought NoteTab Pro 2 1/2 years ago, though they were not in the
          Dictionary folder, so I downloaded the "dicts.exe", as you suggested,
          ran the executable, and then English,dct, AmerAdd.dct, and English.thr
          were all present, as you said they would be.

          The only problem I have encountered is that during the configuration I
          was not able to add the thesarus file, it only offered the dictionary
          files. How can I add the English.thr file.

          Thanks,
          Wayland
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2002
            Hi Wayland,

            It is automatically installed when dicts.exe is executed. As Al
            mentioned it is under the Tools menu (F12).

            You really want to use WordWeb instead though. Go to Help |
            Search and type in WordWeb and read up on it.

            http://www.wordweb.co.uk/