Re: [NTB] disk search for multiple directories

  • donaldhines
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 24, 2002
      Sorry for the long delay in reply, I've been out sick. :(

      >Donald:
      >ONE of the things I'm pushing is that the user can easily use 'disk
      >search' to scan through a directory of text documentation. Problem
      >is, they are suggesting we just move the text documentation to a web
      >page and let them look for stuff there.

      >Jody:
      >That can easily be done with a Clip and the FTP Library. 100's
      >of pages could be converted in seconds/minutes depending on their
      >size. I have done a few with like 1500 files in one shot in, oh,
      >perhaps 2-3 minutes; needed a cup of coffee anyway, so they get
      >done before ya get back. ;) FTP.exe would take quite awhile, but
      >so would any FTP client depending on your connetion.

      Exactly what I suggested. The problem was that they thought a web
      page by itself would be adiquate. I suggested that we still keep our
      documents in the more usefull text format and with one clip I could:
      A: upload a copy to the network drive
      B: upload a copy to a mainframe pds
      C: convert all the text files to html.
      D: convert the notetab hyperlinks to html hyperlinks
      E: ftp to the web site.

      Best of ALL worlds.

      The document (Asking for a Site Liscense) has been submitted to "The
      Powers That Be", I think it was a very persuasive one. We just have
      to wait and see what they say.

      Donald