Re: [NTB] Fixed Width Fonts

  • desuetud@mail.onr.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 8, 2002
      Recommend for fixed width font information and sources:

      <http://nova.bsuvc.bsu.edu/prn/monofont>

      I find Andale satisfactory for display and printing of standard paragraph
      documents. It's a TrueType font, free download from Microsoft.

      -jw-

      On 9 Oct 2002 at 1:30, Cliff wrote:

      > I am considering upgrading from Notetab Std to the Pro version because
      > of certain additional features available. However, I am concerned
      > about how, having only fixed width fonts available, will affect the
      > quality(appearance)of printed material generated from Notetab Pro.
      > The only fixed width font I believe I have is Courier which is ugly on
      > screen and on paper. Any suggestions from anyone using Pro. Thanks.
    • Kevin Galazen
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 9, 2002
        You can use any font you like for printed output in NoteTab Pro. The
        fixed-width font limitation affects only what you work with on the
        screen, not what you print out. Hope this helps.

        <<<However, I am concerned about how, having only fixed width fonts
        available, will affect the
        quality(appearance)of printed material generated from Notetab Pro.>>>
      • Steve LaMantia
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 12, 2002
          Dr. Paul Harder wrote:

          > I like to use FixedSys. In my own not so humble opinion,
          > it looks cool.

          Hear hear! I too cast my vote for FixedSys. I'll stop short of
          saying "it looks cool", but in my opinion it's clean-looking
          (because it's sans-serif), its "pen width" is heavy enough to
          see the letters clearly but not so heavy that the letters look
          smudged, and its height-to-width ratio is just right (so it's not
          visually squished vertically or horizontally). I find FixedSys
          to be fully workmanlike.

          As for fixed vs. proportional, if I really need the more elegant
          design elements offered by a proportional font, I'll copy and
          paste from NoteTab into MS Word, or just type it up from scratch
          in Word.

          I've always thought of NoteTab as a "text editor", and not so
          much a "word processor" (although that distinction can be seen
          to be blurred somewhat), and certainly not a page layout program.
          As a text editor, it's excellent. Better than excellent, even ...

          ... although it *would* be made quite better with Back and
          Forward history buttons *AND* the associated standard keystrokes
          for file navigation, so we could finally stop playing Where's Waldo
          with those insane musical-chair file tabs. Hah! Couldn't resist
          throwing that in! My #1 NoteTab pet peeve. Hah! Fix it, Eric! :-)

          -- Steve LaMantia