Re: [NTB] Site License, NoteTab Vs TextPad!!!

  • donaldhines
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 9, 2002
      --- "Dr. Paul Harder" <pharder@s...> wrote:
      >I saw a vague reference to editor macros, but it's not clear that the
      > product supports arbitarily many user definable macro libraries (or
      > what we call clip libraries). The one screenshot on the site does
      > hint that it might do so.

      It LOOKS like TextPad's 'clips' are just sections of text you can
      paste with a click. NOTHING to compare to NoteTabs clip language.

      I have saved hours, or even DAYS of time by writing NoteTab Clips to
      do the tedious work for me. I have even, on several occasions,
      written Notetab clips that jump over to an "Attachmate Extra"
      mainframe session, and activate an "Attachmate Extra" macro which will
      copy information from the mainframe screen to the clipboard. When
      NoteTab detects the change in the clipboard, it takes control again,
      focuses back on the NoteTab session, paste the info and manipulates
      it. Now, arrange those two macros to do this handshaking several
      hundred times without a human ever having to press a key, and you just
      did in 5min what would have taken a human hours to do, AND you are
      more likely to have accurate information since the macros don't get
      bored and skip parts by accident or copy the same stuff twice! :)

      Yeah, its an ugly messy way to get a report, but when the boss asks
      you to get those numbers for him in the next half hour, it WILL work.

      I am hoping that this alone will be adiquate to convince them.

      Donald
    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 9, 2002
        I've never used textpad, it may be a wonderful program, but I've heard the same said of other text editors that I've tried and no longer use..

        So here's what I would do Donald..

        I don't know how proficient you are with NoteTab, but if it were me, I'd issue a challenge to my employers.. For them to purchase a single NoteTab license for the computer I'm using, and then to let me go one on one against ALL the other users of textpad when it came time to resolve not only text based problems, but many other utility computer problems as well..

        I'm pretty confident that I'd be able to make a strong case for the company purchasing a site license for NoteTab...

        Good Luck..

        John :)

        --- In notetab@y..., "donaldhines" <donald.c.hines@m...> wrote:
        > I need help and I need it fast!
        >
        > I'm trying to talk my company into purchasing a site license for
        > NoteTab. The guy with the power is meeting with me today at 1pm
        > (central) to discuss the issue. I figured it was a shoe in, look at
        > NotePad, Look at NoteTab, DUH!
        >
        > BUT, I was just told (a few hours ago) that the company already has a
        > site license for TextPad. ARRRGHH! Now instead of convincing them
        > that NoteTab is worth the money, I've got to convince them that we can
        > do things with NoteTab that we can NOT do with the application they
        > have already purchased (TextPad).
        >
        > I've never USED textpad, (although I've just downloaded it and will be
        > learning what I can before tomorrow)
        >
        > Any of you NoteTab fans out there who have used both apps and could
        > point out the reasons you have chosen NoteTab over TextPad, (before
        > 1pm central oct 9th) might help make a difference in Eric's
        > Pocketbook, AND my sanity.
        >
        > I WANT NOTETAB!!!!!
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Donald
      • donaldhines
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 11, 2002
          >and then to let me go one on one against ALL the other users
          >of textpad when it came time to resolve not only text based
          >problems, but many other utility computer problems as well..

          Thats sorta whats going to happen. I showed off the abilities
          of the clip language. The boss said, "As for a text editor,
          I can't excuse paying for a second because the differences are
          just not that important, BUT, this clip language seems pretty
          powerful and if we can push it to 'Those Who Make The Decisions'
          as a 'productivity' tool instead of a text editor, we MIGHT have
          a chance.

          SO, right now I'm doing a write up about what we can do with
          the clip language that we can't do with any other tool. I'll
          submit it to 'The Powers That Be', we'll wait a few weeks
          and see...

          Thanks for all the help folks!

          Donald