Site License, NoteTab Vs TextPad!!!

  • donaldhines
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 8, 2002
      I need help and I need it fast!

      I'm trying to talk my company into purchasing a site license for
      NoteTab. The guy with the power is meeting with me today at 1pm
      (central) to discuss the issue. I figured it was a shoe in, look at
      NotePad, Look at NoteTab, DUH!

      BUT, I was just told (a few hours ago) that the company already has a
      site license for TextPad. ARRRGHH! Now instead of convincing them
      that NoteTab is worth the money, I've got to convince them that we can
      do things with NoteTab that we can NOT do with the application they
      have already purchased (TextPad).

      I've never USED textpad, (although I've just downloaded it and will be
      learning what I can before tomorrow)

      Any of you NoteTab fans out there who have used both apps and could
      point out the reasons you have chosen NoteTab over TextPad, (before
      1pm central oct 9th) might help make a difference in Eric's
      Pocketbook, AND my sanity.

      I WANT NOTETAB!!!!!

      Thanks,

      Donald
    • Dr. Paul Harder
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8, 2002
        On Wed, 09 Oct 2002 02:57:35 -0000, "donaldhines"
        <donald.c.hines@...> wrote:

        > I need help and I need it fast!

        ...<snip>

        > BUT, I was just told (a few hours ago) that the company already has a
        > site license for TextPad....

        I've never used TextPad, but I just took a look at their website. It
        looks like a worthy product in its own way. In fact (ERIC: I hope
        you're listening here), its ability to show two views of the same file
        would be a really nice addition to NoteTab Pro. I can't tell you how
        many times I've needed to refer to one place in a file while editing at
        another that's many lines removed from it. The best way to do this in
        NoteTab is to bookmark the two places and switch between the bookmarks.

        There are some NoteTab capabilities that may be absent from TextPad.

        I saw a vague reference to editor macros, but it's not clear that the
        product supports arbitarily many user definable macro libraries (or what
        we call clip libraries). The one screenshot on the site does hint that
        it might do so.

        I saw no reference to nested text documents like NoteTab's outline
        files.

        I saw no mention of anything like the NoteTab Quick List. It's a
        wonderful convenience to drag a file name from the Quick List into an
        HTML document and see a fully formed IMG tag materialize.

        I'm sure there are others, but I doubt you'll find any really compelling
        reason to argue for a full site license for NoteTab, given that you've
        already got a site license for TextPad. The reasons for preferring one
        over the other come down to personal preferences. So why shouldn't you
        use the editor of your choice and let the other bozoes (uh, I meant
        "mature adults") use the editor of their choice? If you can't get a
        site license, how about trying to get management to buy smaller
        quantities of NoteTab for folks who prefer it.

        Regards,
        Paul

        Dr. Paul Harder Houston, Texas, USA pharder@...
      • Jim Hall
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 2002
          Paul,

          NoteTab's inability to have 2 views of the same file was what drove me to join the old Beta list and lobby for it because I need and use this feature daily.

          As well, it is what caused me to start writing Clips and had I not figured out how to do exactly what you desire, I probably wouldn't be using NoteTab today.

          BUT I did figure it out and have a nifty little Clip that handles this problem in an acceptable manner.

          I will post the Clip on the Clips List for anyone who is interested in having this feature.

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 9, 2002
            --- "Dr. Paul Harder" <pharder@s...> wrote:
            >I saw a vague reference to editor macros, but it's not clear that the
            > product supports arbitarily many user definable macro libraries (or
            > what we call clip libraries). The one screenshot on the site does
            > hint that it might do so.

            It LOOKS like TextPad's 'clips' are just sections of text you can
            paste with a click. NOTHING to compare to NoteTabs clip language.

            I have saved hours, or even DAYS of time by writing NoteTab Clips to
            do the tedious work for me. I have even, on several occasions,
            written Notetab clips that jump over to an "Attachmate Extra"
            mainframe session, and activate an "Attachmate Extra" macro which will
            copy information from the mainframe screen to the clipboard. When
            NoteTab detects the change in the clipboard, it takes control again,
            focuses back on the NoteTab session, paste the info and manipulates
            it. Now, arrange those two macros to do this handshaking several
            hundred times without a human ever having to press a key, and you just
            did in 5min what would have taken a human hours to do, AND you are
            more likely to have accurate information since the macros don't get
            bored and skip parts by accident or copy the same stuff twice! :)

            Yeah, its an ugly messy way to get a report, but when the boss asks
            you to get those numbers for him in the next half hour, it WILL work.

            I am hoping that this alone will be adiquate to convince them.

            Donald
          • John Zeman
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 9, 2002
              I've never used textpad, it may be a wonderful program, but I've heard the same said of other text editors that I've tried and no longer use..

              So here's what I would do Donald..

              I don't know how proficient you are with NoteTab, but if it were me, I'd issue a challenge to my employers.. For them to purchase a single NoteTab license for the computer I'm using, and then to let me go one on one against ALL the other users of textpad when it came time to resolve not only text based problems, but many other utility computer problems as well..

              I'm pretty confident that I'd be able to make a strong case for the company purchasing a site license for NoteTab...

              Good Luck..

              John :)

              --- In notetab@y..., "donaldhines" <donald.c.hines@m...> wrote:
              > I need help and I need it fast!
              >
              > I'm trying to talk my company into purchasing a site license for
              > NoteTab. The guy with the power is meeting with me today at 1pm
              > (central) to discuss the issue. I figured it was a shoe in, look at
              > NotePad, Look at NoteTab, DUH!
              >
              > BUT, I was just told (a few hours ago) that the company already has a
              > site license for TextPad. ARRRGHH! Now instead of convincing them
              > that NoteTab is worth the money, I've got to convince them that we can
              > do things with NoteTab that we can NOT do with the application they
              > have already purchased (TextPad).
              >
              > I've never USED textpad, (although I've just downloaded it and will be
              > learning what I can before tomorrow)
              >
              > Any of you NoteTab fans out there who have used both apps and could
              > point out the reasons you have chosen NoteTab over TextPad, (before
              > 1pm central oct 9th) might help make a difference in Eric's
              > Pocketbook, AND my sanity.
              >
              > I WANT NOTETAB!!!!!
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Donald
            • donaldhines
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 11, 2002
                >and then to let me go one on one against ALL the other users
                >of textpad when it came time to resolve not only text based
                >problems, but many other utility computer problems as well..

                Thats sorta whats going to happen. I showed off the abilities
                of the clip language. The boss said, "As for a text editor,
                I can't excuse paying for a second because the differences are
                just not that important, BUT, this clip language seems pretty
                powerful and if we can push it to 'Those Who Make The Decisions'
                as a 'productivity' tool instead of a text editor, we MIGHT have
                a chance.

                SO, right now I'm doing a write up about what we can do with
                the clip language that we can't do with any other tool. I'll
                submit it to 'The Powers That Be', we'll wait a few weeks
                and see...

                Thanks for all the help folks!

                Donald