Fixed Width Fonts

  • Cliff
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 8, 2002
      I am considering upgrading from Notetab Std to the Pro version because
      of certain additional features available. However, I am concerned
      about how, having only fixed width fonts available, will affect the
      quality(appearance)of printed material generated from Notetab Pro.
      The only fixed width font I believe I have is Courier which is ugly on
      screen and on paper. Any suggestions from anyone using Pro. Thanks.
    • Dr. Paul Harder
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8, 2002
        On Wed, 09 Oct 2002 01:30:50 -0000, "Cliff" <groupnews@...>
        wrote:

        > I am considering upgrading from Notetab Std to the Pro version because
        > of certain additional features available. However, I am concerned
        > about how, having only fixed width fonts available, will affect the
        > quality(appearance)of printed material generated from Notetab Pro.
        > The only fixed width font I believe I have is Courier which is ugly on
        > screen and on paper. Any suggestions from anyone using Pro. Thanks.

        Cliff:

        I like to use FixedSys. In my own not so humble opinion, it looks cool.
        Also, in most of the applications where I find that a text editor makes
        more sense than a word processor, it's far better to use a fixed width
        font.

        Paul

        Dr. Paul Harder Houston, Texas, USA pharder@...
      • Len
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 2002
          Hi Cliff;

          Use NT Std for any variable font requirements. You can load
          NT Pro into the same folder, however I prefer separate folders.

          Lucida Console, OCRA Extended, Onuava and Terminal are also
          fixed width but I don't have the web sources.

          Regards, Len

        • desuetud@mail.onr.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 8, 2002
            Recommend for fixed width font information and sources:

            <http://nova.bsuvc.bsu.edu/prn/monofont>

            I find Andale satisfactory for display and printing of standard paragraph
            documents. It's a TrueType font, free download from Microsoft.

            -jw-

            On 9 Oct 2002 at 1:30, Cliff wrote:

            > I am considering upgrading from Notetab Std to the Pro version because
            > of certain additional features available. However, I am concerned
            > about how, having only fixed width fonts available, will affect the
            > quality(appearance)of printed material generated from Notetab Pro.
            > The only fixed width font I believe I have is Courier which is ugly on
            > screen and on paper. Any suggestions from anyone using Pro. Thanks.
          • Kevin Galazen
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 9, 2002
              You can use any font you like for printed output in NoteTab Pro. The
              fixed-width font limitation affects only what you work with on the
              screen, not what you print out. Hope this helps.

              <<<However, I am concerned about how, having only fixed width fonts
              available, will affect the
              quality(appearance)of printed material generated from Notetab Pro.>>>
            • Steve LaMantia
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 12, 2002
                Dr. Paul Harder wrote:

                > I like to use FixedSys. In my own not so humble opinion,
                > it looks cool.

                Hear hear! I too cast my vote for FixedSys. I'll stop short of
                saying "it looks cool", but in my opinion it's clean-looking
                (because it's sans-serif), its "pen width" is heavy enough to
                see the letters clearly but not so heavy that the letters look
                smudged, and its height-to-width ratio is just right (so it's not
                visually squished vertically or horizontally). I find FixedSys
                to be fully workmanlike.

                As for fixed vs. proportional, if I really need the more elegant
                design elements offered by a proportional font, I'll copy and
                paste from NoteTab into MS Word, or just type it up from scratch
                in Word.

                I've always thought of NoteTab as a "text editor", and not so
                much a "word processor" (although that distinction can be seen
                to be blurred somewhat), and certainly not a page layout program.
                As a text editor, it's excellent. Better than excellent, even ...

                ... although it *would* be made quite better with Back and
                Forward history buttons *AND* the associated standard keystrokes
                for file navigation, so we could finally stop playing Where's Waldo
                with those insane musical-chair file tabs. Hah! Couldn't resist
                throwing that in! My #1 NoteTab pet peeve. Hah! Fix it, Eric! :-)

                -- Steve LaMantia