Re: [NTB] Backup directory

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2002
      David, Christine (othrs?):

      Finding and managing all the puppies ...

      I think that Jody/Eric have sort-of promised some changes
      to the backup system in v5.0 but in the meantime.

      Dave:> I'd love (make that kill for) a clip or anything
      that would
      > work like the Recycle Bin so I could assign it some HD
      space
      > and do all of my Temp's and Bak's in there. Especially
      the
      > Restore part so I wouldn't have to keep track of where
      > everything came from.-

      You both may already have found this and be doing it
      already but for managing auto-backups (assuming most
      complicated system where you've asked for incremental
      backups)

      Do a find looking for *.~???.* starting at C:\
      This will locate ALL notetab backups anywhere on
      harddrive.
      (Note in both Win9x and Win2K/XP this search can be
      saved - and a shortcut put somewhere handy - Desktop,
      toolbar etc)

      Now that you've "found" them all you can do any number of
      things depending on how high you rate the chance that
      you'll actually need to use one of these backups.

      Simplest : Select-all and delete (from right-context) or
      just Ctrl+A, DEL

      or : click date column to sort by age and select all
      (say) more than 1 day old and DEL them

      or : create a backups folder some where and <move> them
      all to it and then Zip them

      or: (this might require some freeware (I think theRename
      amongst others is probably suitable)) you can rename/move
      them all so that their folder structure is preserved. If
      you need something this elaborate, and can't find the
      program(s) to do it easily post back in the
      [Ntb-offTopic] list and we'll get you a more detailed
      procedure.

      btw: I used to worry a lot more about the impact of
      leaving all the backups in place until I realized that
      even with a "tiny" 4 GB drive that only has about 100 MB
      free I have to do an awful lot of notetab editing before
      the amount of diskspace being "wasted" on notetab backups
      amounts to even 1 days worth of Temporary Internet Files.

      Regards ... Alec

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5, 2002
        Hi Charles,

        >Greetings folks. Is there some way to change the directory
        >backups are saved to?

        Hopefully in v5.

        > A more recent version's been released, no?

        Yes v4.9, and a beta for a maintenance release should be finished
        shortly. Monitor the NoteTab Next Release list if you are
        interested. Please see my signature line to subscribe to it. TIA

        Happy Test'n,
        Jody Adair

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options