Re: [NTB] Backup directory

  • david brown
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2002
      I'd love (make that kill for) a clip or anything that would work like the
      Recycle Bin so I could assign it some HD space and do all of my Temp's and
      Bak's in there. Especially the Restore part so I wouldn't have to keep
      track of where everything came from.
      -DAVE-
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2002
        David, Christine (othrs?):

        Finding and managing all the puppies ...

        I think that Jody/Eric have sort-of promised some changes
        to the backup system in v5.0 but in the meantime.

        Dave:> I'd love (make that kill for) a clip or anything
        that would
        > work like the Recycle Bin so I could assign it some HD
        space
        > and do all of my Temp's and Bak's in there. Especially
        the
        > Restore part so I wouldn't have to keep track of where
        > everything came from.-

        You both may already have found this and be doing it
        already but for managing auto-backups (assuming most
        complicated system where you've asked for incremental
        backups)

        Do a find looking for *.~???.* starting at C:\
        This will locate ALL notetab backups anywhere on
        harddrive.
        (Note in both Win9x and Win2K/XP this search can be
        saved - and a shortcut put somewhere handy - Desktop,
        toolbar etc)

        Now that you've "found" them all you can do any number of
        things depending on how high you rate the chance that
        you'll actually need to use one of these backups.

        Simplest : Select-all and delete (from right-context) or
        just Ctrl+A, DEL

        or : click date column to sort by age and select all
        (say) more than 1 day old and DEL them

        or : create a backups folder some where and <move> them
        all to it and then Zip them

        or: (this might require some freeware (I think theRename
        amongst others is probably suitable)) you can rename/move
        them all so that their folder structure is preserved. If
        you need something this elaborate, and can't find the
        program(s) to do it easily post back in the
        [Ntb-offTopic] list and we'll get you a more detailed
        procedure.

        btw: I used to worry a lot more about the impact of
        leaving all the backups in place until I realized that
        even with a "tiny" 4 GB drive that only has about 100 MB
        free I have to do an awful lot of notetab editing before
        the amount of diskspace being "wasted" on notetab backups
        amounts to even 1 days worth of Temporary Internet Files.

        Regards ... Alec

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5, 2002
          Hi Charles,

          >Greetings folks. Is there some way to change the directory
          >backups are saved to?

          Hopefully in v5.

          > A more recent version's been released, no?

          Yes v4.9, and a beta for a maintenance release should be finished
          shortly. Monitor the NoteTab Next Release list if you are
          interested. Please see my signature line to subscribe to it. TIA

          Happy Test'n,
          Jody Adair

          Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options