RE: [NTB] Backup directory

  • Christine
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002
      I heartily second you on this one. I'd love a back-up directory rather than
      having these puppies all over my HDD. I love the clip someone wrote that
      lets me delete them from any given directory, but then I have to weed
      through anything I might have worked on recently.

      Glad you wrote.

      Christine

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2002
        I'd love (make that kill for) a clip or anything that would work like the
        Recycle Bin so I could assign it some HD space and do all of my Temp's and
        Bak's in there. Especially the Restore part so I wouldn't have to keep
        track of where everything came from.
        -DAVE-
        > I heartily second you on this one. I'd love a back-up directory rather
        than
        > having these puppies all over my HDD. I love the clip someone wrote that
        > lets me delete them from any given directory, but then I have to weed
        > through anything I might have worked on recently.
        >
        > Glad you wrote.
        >
        > Christine
      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2002
          David, Christine (othrs?):

          Finding and managing all the puppies ...

          I think that Jody/Eric have sort-of promised some changes
          to the backup system in v5.0 but in the meantime.

          Dave:> I'd love (make that kill for) a clip or anything
          that would
          > work like the Recycle Bin so I could assign it some HD
          space
          > and do all of my Temp's and Bak's in there. Especially
          the
          > Restore part so I wouldn't have to keep track of where
          > everything came from.-

          You both may already have found this and be doing it
          already but for managing auto-backups (assuming most
          complicated system where you've asked for incremental
          backups)

          Do a find looking for *.~???.* starting at C:\
          This will locate ALL notetab backups anywhere on
          harddrive.
          (Note in both Win9x and Win2K/XP this search can be
          saved - and a shortcut put somewhere handy - Desktop,
          toolbar etc)

          Now that you've "found" them all you can do any number of
          things depending on how high you rate the chance that
          you'll actually need to use one of these backups.

          Simplest : Select-all and delete (from right-context) or
          just Ctrl+A, DEL

          or : click date column to sort by age and select all
          (say) more than 1 day old and DEL them

          or : create a backups folder some where and <move> them
          all to it and then Zip them

          or: (this might require some freeware (I think theRename
          amongst others is probably suitable)) you can rename/move
          them all so that their folder structure is preserved. If
          you need something this elaborate, and can't find the
          program(s) to do it easily post back in the
          [Ntb-offTopic] list and we'll get you a more detailed
          procedure.

          btw: I used to worry a lot more about the impact of
          leaving all the backups in place until I realized that
          even with a "tiny" 4 GB drive that only has about 100 MB
          free I have to do an awful lot of notetab editing before
          the amount of diskspace being "wasted" on notetab backups
          amounts to even 1 days worth of Temporary Internet Files.

          Regards ... Alec

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2002
            Hi Charles,

            >Greetings folks. Is there some way to change the directory
            >backups are saved to?

            Hopefully in v5.

            > A more recent version's been released, no?

            Yes v4.9, and a beta for a maintenance release should be finished
            shortly. Monitor the NoteTab Next Release list if you are
            interested. Please see my signature line to subscribe to it. TIA

            Happy Test'n,
            Jody Adair

            Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options