Backup directory

  • Charles
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002
      Greetings folks. Is there some way to change the directory backups are
      saved to? I'm running, as Help/About says:
      NoteTab Pro 4.86d Pre-release #01 (Full version)
      A more recent version's been released, no? I haven't had time (honestly) to
      check yet.
      Anyways, I can see where to enable and disable backups, and the default
      save/open dirs, but I haven't found, even in notepro.ini, a place to send .bak
      files. I sometimes edit files on my desktop, and having .bak's popping up all
      over the place is starting to irritate. Any assistance? Thanks all!!

      --Charles
    • Christine
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002
        I heartily second you on this one. I'd love a back-up directory rather than
        having these puppies all over my HDD. I love the clip someone wrote that
        lets me delete them from any given directory, but then I have to weed
        through anything I might have worked on recently.

        Glad you wrote.

        Christine

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2002
          I'd love (make that kill for) a clip or anything that would work like the
          Recycle Bin so I could assign it some HD space and do all of my Temp's and
          Bak's in there. Especially the Restore part so I wouldn't have to keep
          track of where everything came from.
          -DAVE-
          > I heartily second you on this one. I'd love a back-up directory rather
          than
          > having these puppies all over my HDD. I love the clip someone wrote that
          > lets me delete them from any given directory, but then I have to weed
          > through anything I might have worked on recently.
          >
          > Glad you wrote.
          >
          > Christine
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2002
            David, Christine (othrs?):

            Finding and managing all the puppies ...

            I think that Jody/Eric have sort-of promised some changes
            to the backup system in v5.0 but in the meantime.

            Dave:> I'd love (make that kill for) a clip or anything
            that would
            > work like the Recycle Bin so I could assign it some HD
            space
            > and do all of my Temp's and Bak's in there. Especially
            the
            > Restore part so I wouldn't have to keep track of where
            > everything came from.-

            You both may already have found this and be doing it
            already but for managing auto-backups (assuming most
            complicated system where you've asked for incremental
            backups)

            Do a find looking for *.~???.* starting at C:\
            This will locate ALL notetab backups anywhere on
            harddrive.
            (Note in both Win9x and Win2K/XP this search can be
            saved - and a shortcut put somewhere handy - Desktop,
            toolbar etc)

            Now that you've "found" them all you can do any number of
            things depending on how high you rate the chance that
            you'll actually need to use one of these backups.

            Simplest : Select-all and delete (from right-context) or
            just Ctrl+A, DEL

            or : click date column to sort by age and select all
            (say) more than 1 day old and DEL them

            or : create a backups folder some where and <move> them
            all to it and then Zip them

            or: (this might require some freeware (I think theRename
            amongst others is probably suitable)) you can rename/move
            them all so that their folder structure is preserved. If
            you need something this elaborate, and can't find the
            program(s) to do it easily post back in the
            [Ntb-offTopic] list and we'll get you a more detailed
            procedure.

            btw: I used to worry a lot more about the impact of
            leaving all the backups in place until I realized that
            even with a "tiny" 4 GB drive that only has about 100 MB
            free I have to do an awful lot of notetab editing before
            the amount of diskspace being "wasted" on notetab backups
            amounts to even 1 days worth of Temporary Internet Files.

            Regards ... Alec

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 5, 2002
              Hi Charles,

              >Greetings folks. Is there some way to change the directory
              >backups are saved to?

              Hopefully in v5.

              > A more recent version's been released, no?

              Yes v4.9, and a beta for a maintenance release should be finished
              shortly. Monitor the NoteTab Next Release list if you are
              interested. Please see my signature line to subscribe to it. TIA

              Happy Test'n,
              Jody Adair

              Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options