Notetab Lite Installation and Uninstallation

  • forporphyry
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2002
      Greetings all,

      Here's my question: I installed Notetab Lite in the default
      destination. I then opened the Notetab Lite folder, copied
      everything inside it, and then pasted the entire copy into another
      folder, C:\Windows. If I now uninstall the original from Program
      Files, will this make changes to the Registry or whatever that will
      adversely affect the copy still remaining in C:\Windows?

      Lest you are thinking that my question is frivolous, this is why I
      did it.
      I selected the menu option to have Notetab replace MS Notepad.
      Nothing happened, which really did not surprise me as the original
      Notepad has long been gone from my system. I have replaced many
      inadequate MS originals with superior software by the following
      method.
      1. install the new program in the same folder as the old-about-to-be-
      replaced.
      2. rename the old
      3. rename the new with the old's original name.
      and, presto, all of the functions automatically assigned in the
      system to the old are now automatically transferred to the new, no
      need to root around in File Types Editor changing the assignments
      individually.
      I've never had any problem with this method, but I've never had the
      situation before where I could not make the installation directly
      into C:\Windows, but Notetab is a far more complex program, and
      because of folder name conflicts, I had to use the copy and paste
      procedure to get it in place.
      Everything seems to work just fine, as usual, but my hard drive is
      almost full, so I'd like to recover the space taken by the install in
      Program Files.

      thank you in advance for your help
      graham lawrence
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2002
        Graham,

        Just to add a bit to what Alec already told you, you can run NoteTab in any directory you like as long as it can find it's INI file and it's dedicated directories.

        You can have it in 3 (or 100) different directories and run an instance from all 3 at the same time if you should find some reason for doing so.

        The uninstall will only uninstall it from where you originally installed it.

        One of the many great features of NoteTab is it's ability to replace/restore MS NotePad for you.

        The option to do this is listed in the Help Menu.

        If you attempted this and it did not seem to work for you, you might find the following DL helpful.

        If you go to

        http://jimbow.com/

        you can DL a document entitled "ALL ABOUT REPLACING Notepad WITH NOTETAB AS DEFAULT EDITOR IN WINXX'S" which gives the full background on the subject as well as special considerations required for doing so in Win2K & XP.

        Regards,

        Jim