Windows 98 & Pro

  • Fabienne Christenson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 7, 2002
      I have had a great deal of trouble with text editors and Windows 98 (e.g..
      Homesite, HTML Kit, 1st Page, etc.). It seems that NoteTab does well and
      remains stable with W98. I was wondering if the same can be said for NoteTab
      Pro, and if that is recommended for the W98 user. Also, any advice about
      using NT with W98 would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

      Fabienne
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 7, 2002
        Fabienne,

        The problems you have had with your editors are due more than likely to the fact that you are using Win98 more so than any one other thing.

        Today, you will do yourself well to upgrade to WinXP and put a minimum of 256MB of RAM in your computer.

        The 2 together will make it seem like an entirely different (much faster) machine and the majority of instability you see using Win98 will just be gone.

        Windows XP comes very close to being what Windows SHOULD have been all along.

        Win XP is more than 13 times more stable than Win98. You just have to spend a little time and learn the differences between it and Win98 and there are many.

        It isn't just an upgraded Win98, it is an entirely different program that just happens to look and in some ways work a little bit like Win98 and you will find it easier to learn and accept, if you think of it that way.

        In general, ALL NoteTab versions will run better on XP than they do on 98, primarily due to the differences in the way 98 and XP manage your system's RAM.

        If you can't/won't upgrade to XP and must use 98 then the best solution is to REBOOT YOUR SYSTEM OFTEN. Each time you reboot, you basically reset your available system resources to the max available for your system.

        The longer that you go between reboots, the worse your system performance degrades until you ultimately start having instability of one type or another.

        In fact about 99% of weird problems with all versions of NoteTab are NOT NoteTab problems, they are Win95/98/ME problems, due simply to the poor manner in which they manage your available memory, and virtually all of these problems are eliminated with a simple restart.

        Depending on how you use your computer, this can mean rebooting anywhere from once each hour to once each day.

        If you have any specific questions about NTP and Windows XP, feel free to mail me privately.

        Specific questions about XP should be moved over to the Off Topics list.

        Regards,

        Jim

        (No, I don't work for Micro$oft or Fookes Software, I just enjoy the stability and overall performance of WinXP and not having to reboot every hour when I'm working or when the BSOD attacks<G>)

        At 12:53 PM 7/7/2002 -0400, you wrote:
        >I have had a great deal of trouble with text editors and Windows 98 (e.g..
        >Homesite, HTML Kit, 1st Page, etc.). It seems that NoteTab does well and
        >remains stable with W98. I was wondering if the same can be said for NoteTab
        >Pro, and if that is recommended for the W98 user. Also, any advice about
        >using NT with W98 would be appreciated as well. Thanks.
        >
        >Fabienne
      • geert
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 7, 2002
          Fabienne
          speaking only from experience
          I use W98 and never had a problem with Notetab Pro and I use it daily (since April).

          Geert

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 7, 2002
            On Sun, 7 Jul 2002 12:53:56 -0400, you wrote:

            >I have had a great deal of trouble with text editors and Windows 98 (e.g..
            >Homesite, HTML Kit, 1st Page, etc.). It seems that NoteTab does well and
            >remains stable with W98. I was wondering if the same can be said for NoteTab
            >Pro, and if that is recommended for the W98 user. Also, any advice about
            >using NT with W98 would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

            NoteTab Pro has worked very well for me on Windows 98 & 98SE. As Jim Hall
            said, most of the problems are with the Win98 OS itself. Part of the
            instability of Win98 is be caused by unnecessary programs running in the
            background, taking up resources, and conflicting with otherwise stable
            programs such as NoteTab Pro. To find out what programs are automatically
            starting up, run msconfig.exe, uncheck the unnecessary programs and
            reboot. Any follow-up discussion about the Win98 OS should be directed to
            the Off-Topic List.

            Jan

            --
            Jan Rosenstreich
            Independent Distributor #130-646
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 8, 2002
              Hi Fabienne,

              You said:

              > I have had a great deal of trouble with text editors and Windows 98 (e.g..
              > Homesite, HTML Kit, 1st Page, etc.). It seems that NoteTab does well and
              > remains stable with W98. I was wondering if the same can be said for
              NoteTab
              > Pro, and if that is recommended for the W98 user. Also, any advice about
              > using NT with W98 would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

              Jim Hall replied:

              > Today, you will do yourself well to upgrade to WinXP and put a
              > minimum of 256MB of RAM in your computer.
              >
              > The 2 together will make it seem like an entirely different (much
              > faster) machine and the majority of instability you see using
              > Win98 will just be gone.

              I have no doubt that the upgrades that Jim suggests would give you an
              "entirely different machine". However, I hate responses that tell you to
              spend 100s of pounds (You can tell where I live!) on upgrading your kit,
              when all you want is a system that works as it should!

              I used Win98SE until very recently had absolutely no problem with its
              stability while running NoteTab Pro (and assorted other software). I know
              that Win98 was not regarded as as stable as Win98SE, but there is still no
              reason I can think of why a "simple" text editor should cause lack of
              stability in the OS.

              Jim is certainly right in his implication that it is your OS that is the
              problem and that you should sort out that rather than seeking a solution by
              changing of version of NoteTab. However, buying and installing WinXP (and
              the essential extra RAM) seems over the top to me and wouldn't necessarily
              be less fraught with difficulty than a fresh re-install of Win98 itself!

              Greg
            • CF_Muehling
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 8, 2002
                Hi all!
                I want to apologize in advance, just in case an anti-spam message of
                mine shows up in this list. Something in Greg's message flagged it
                into my Reply-with-death-wish template, and I'm not sure I stopped
                it.

                So if I didn't, I apologize in advance to all, and particularly Greg.
                Thanks for understanding and ignoring it!
                Christine

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 8, 2002
                  Christine,

                  I received your anti-spam message and my question is whether or not we can REALLY ignore the part that says

                  Your message has been received by a SPAM eating mailbox. It is
                  automatically forwarded to the FTC (uce@...) for review.

                  If so then WHEW!

                  The last thing any of us wants is to be erroneously reported to the FTC for Spamming.

                  TIA

                  Jim

                  At 01:12 PM 7/8/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                  >Hi all!
                  >I want to apologize in advance, just in case an anti-spam message of
                  >mine shows up in this list. Something in Greg's message flagged it
                  >into my Reply-with-death-wish template, and I'm not sure I stopped
                  >it.
                  >
                  >So if I didn't, I apologize in advance to all, and particularly Greg.
                  >Thanks for understanding and ignoring it!
                  >Christine
                • David McIntosh
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 8, 2002
                    Hi
                    I have been running WIN98SE for quite a while no problems with nt
                    standard
                    If you DEFRAG fairly often you will get a lot less problems has your
                    machine ever been defraged ??
                    THANKYOU DAVE

                    Fabienne Christenson wrote:

                    > I have had a great deal of trouble with text editors and Windows 98 (e.g..
                    > Homesite, HTML Kit, 1st Page, etc.). It seems that NoteTab does well and
                    > remains stable with W98. I was wondering if the same can be said for NoteTab
                    > Pro, and if that is recommended for the W98 user. Also, any advice about
                    > using NT with W98 would be appreciated as well. Thanks.
                    >
                    > Fabienne

                  • fabienne301
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 8, 2002
                      Dear Dave,
                      Thanks for your reply. Yes, I do defrag my computer on a regular
                      schedule. I know that is often a problem, but I set it up when I
                      first got it and so I think that my woes are sounding like a Windows
                      98 event. But that is a good question you asked me because sometimes
                      folks don't defrag often, it's time consuming.-Fabienne.
                    • MCMAIER
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 9, 2002
                        I'd like to know how messages are "automatically" forwarded to the FTC".
                        Explain please?
                        > I received your anti-spam message and my question is whether or not we can
                        REALLY ignore the part that says

                        > Your message has been received by a SPAM eating mailbox. It is
                        > automatically forwarded to the FTC (uce@...) for review.
                        >
                        > If so then WHEW!
                        >
                        > The last thing any of us wants is to be erroneously reported to the FTC
                        for Spamming.

                        > TIA
                        >
                        > Jim
                        >
                        > At 01:12 PM 7/8/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                        > >Hi all!
                        > >I want to apologize in advance, just in case an anti-spam message of
                        > >mine shows up in this list. Something in Greg's message flagged it
                        > >into my Reply-with-death-wish template, and I'm not sure I stopped
                        > >it.
                        > >
                        > >So if I didn't, I apologize in advance to all, and particularly Greg.
                        > >Thanks for understanding and ignoring it!
                        > >Christine

                      • Alec(g)Burgess
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 9, 2002
                          MCMAIER:

                          > I'd like to know how messages are "automatically" forwarded to
                          > the FTC". Explain please?

                          Get Mailwasher http://www.mailwasher.net/download.php and all will becone
                          clear.
                          Basically a service (or in this case the MailWasher program on your system)
                          does programmatic check to see if a piece of mail is "probably" or
                          "certainly" spam and forwards it to one or more sites that claim they can do
                          something about it. I have my doubts ;--)

                          Sometimes they get it wrong.

                          Regards ... Alec