Notetab when away from home

  • Alec(g)Burgess
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 6, 2002

      I'm away from home for another week and using my brother's WinME computer. His machine is much faster, bigger and has way more periferals than mine and only gets used for e-mail, playing sim-city and (by his son) to download music I can't stand from Kazaa!

      I've d/l'd Notetab Lite for my use while I'm here but am missing the features of Pro more and more each day. From what I understand, if I get someone at home to e-mail me the Notetab "verification" file that we're asked to save for backup by the install routine (and/or the installer.exe) this would work.

      Question: Will this work and do you consider this "fair use"? I have no problem with ripping it out before I go home, not that anyone here would know how to use it anyway.

      Regards ... Alec

    • stephen riddle
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 9, 2002
        Hi Alec,
        Your other option is to get NoteTab Light and turn on some of the trial
        features. (I've never done this, and the two programs really are structured
        different from each other, so don't know for sure how it works.)
        It would give you at least some of the pro features and is a smaller file
        size.
        Good luck,
        Stephen

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 9, 2002

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 10, 2002
            Hi Alec,

            Next time, you might also bring a copy of your NoteTab.ini file which will
            contain most of your settings (except for the new keyboard shortcuts). I'm
            pretty picky about the colors of my backgrounds (White gets my eyes tired
            pretty soon.), and those settings and my favorite clip libraries and Note Tab
            Light are on a few unsuspecting friends' and relatives' computers across the
            continent. (no one complains. . . yet.)
            Take care,
            Stephen

            > Steven: I'd turned the "comercial features" on (some improvement - I think
            > it basically gives you "standard" for a month)
            >
            > This way when I leave he's got a Notetab lite if he (or more likely his
            > son) ever gets the urge to dig a little deeper, a whole lot of freeware,
            > and some other shareware that will go dead or degrade at varying times
            > between next week and mid-August with no one the wiser.
          • Alec(g)Burgess
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 10, 2002
              Jody, Stephen

              Steven: I'd turned the "comercial features" on (some improvement - I think
              it basically gives you "standard" for a month)

              Jody: I took the easy way out and d/l'd the NoteTabPro trial since I'm only
              here till the end of the week. If he has me back to house-sit again (or to
              help set-up his machine) after the end of July I'll e-mail the "verifier"
              ahead of time.

              This way when I leave he's got a Notetab lite if he (or more likely his son)
              ever gets the urge to dig a little deeper, a whole lot of freeware, and some
              other shareware that will go dead or degrade at varying times between next
              week and mid-August with no one the wiser.

              I just have to remember to clean up his Startup before leaving to avoid
              "what the *&^%$ did you do to my computer" phone-calls which seems to be
              standard every time I come back from visting any of my relatives!

              Regards ... Alec

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 12, 2002
                Hi Stephen and Alec,

                >Next time, you might also bring a copy of your NoteTab.ini file
                >which will contain most of your settings (except for the new
                >keyboard shortcuts).

                You can also get NoteTab Tiny... fits on a floppy and if you
                install just the essentials you can run it from the floppy. It
                has the compresses exe file, so some virus checkers may not know
                how to handle it. At least that is what is was like about v4.6
                or whenever it was that NotePro|NoteTab.exe was compressed.

                http://www.tinyapps.org/text.html
                or download it directly from:
                http://www.notetab.com/ftp/notetab486c.exe