Re: [NTB] NoteTab as a PIM?

  • roofman6
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 6, 2002
      Thank you all... it looks promising. Can NoteTab be installed on a
      windows CE device? If so, that will be the answer, I will just keep
      my files in a folder that gets sync'd. Have any of you installed
      NoteTab on a CE operating system?

      Roofman

      --- In notetab@y..., Jody <av1611@e...> wrote:

      > >Can OTL files be read on Windows CE devices?
      >
      > Only if NoteTab is installed, so no, not as an Outline. Outlines
      > in their native format can open, but not as an Outline viewed
      > like in NoteTab. You get the code in the file. You need to use
      > File | Export when you want a nice format for computers without
      > NoteTab installed on them.
      >
      > I have a PIM that uses Clips in NoteTab. The Clips will only run
      > in NoteTab of course, but the PIM can be read by any editor that
      > reads text based files.
    • LaurieK
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 6, 2002
        I replied to Rooman in the NTO group but I guess no one saw it.... here is
        what I replied first thing this morning....

        Roofman, this is my area of expertise.... Windows CE... although I no longer
        support the PocketPC products (much to my extreme saddness and something I
        am unable to get into ....) I did support WindowsCE products from the day
        they hit the market back in 1997...

        Unless Eric writes a program to sync OTL files it won't happen.... and not
        to dissuade you from NoteTab because God KNOWS... it is what keeps me
        afloat.... but.. .to solve the delima you are having... check out Puma
        Technology's "IntelliSync" (www.pumatech.com) their IntelliSync program
        will sync your Lotus Organizer files with your Windows CE device... that's
        what its entire intent is.... It syncs data from PIM software other than MS
        Outlook... to a PocketPC or Handheld PC device.....

        Just trying to help.....

        Laurie
        PS.. .due to the nature of referring to another product, I did in good
        faith, attempt to take this to the NTO group...

        > >I've always used Lotus Organizer as a personal information manager,
        > >but cannot get the notepad sections to transfer or synchronize with
        > >my Windows CE type palm pilot. I like NoteTab, and have been
        > >wondering if anyone has set up NoteTab files to use as personal
        > >information managers, and been able to sync them between various
        > >computers?
        >
        > It depends on file type.
        >
        > >Can OTL files be read on Windows CE devices?
        >
        > Only if NoteTab is installed, so no, not as an Outline. Outlines
        > in their native format can open, but not as an Outline viewed
        > like in NoteTab. You get the code in the file. You need to use
        > File | Export when you want a nice format for computers without
        > NoteTab installed on them.
        >
        > I have a PIM that uses Clips in NoteTab. The Clips will only run
        > in NoteTab of course, but the PIM can be read by any editor that
        > reads text based files.
        >
        > NoteMan - Extract NoteMan.clb to NoteTab's Libraries folder:
        > http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteman.zip
        >
        > Last I knew it was working fine, but I have not tested it for a
        > long time. I probably should use it. It worked well when I last
        > updated it fixing a bug that caused it not to run in Std/Light
        > which was about v4.6a of 'Tab.
        >
        > Happy NoteTab'n,
        > Jody Adair
        >
        > The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
        > http://www.notetab.net
        >
        > The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
        > mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      • roofman6
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 8, 2002
          Thanks Laurie,

          I purchased IntelliSync as soon as I got my CE device, and it does
          sync the address, ToDo, and Calendar sections of Lotus Organizer, and
          several other organizer programs, but it will not touch the Notepad
          sections, and here is where I have lived for the past 10 years. I
          love the automatic indexing of pages, the chapters and sections,
          etc. It's all so intuitive. I am now loving the "Outline" documents
          in NoteTab, for much the same reasons..., plus I can embed urls,
          etc. I would love to be able to link to individual email messages,
          but haven't figured that out yet, and am forced to copy and paste. I
          have notiece that my CE device will read the otl files if I rename
          them as txt files on my desktop. They read on the CE without the
          outlines, but they read... and I can continue to work on them as
          outline files on the desktop even though they are named txt files...
          I think I will have to settle for that. I think NoteTab could be
          pushed as an information manager type product, if they will get it to
          work on Palms and CE's, and it would truly be awesome.

          Thanks,
          Roofman