Re: [NTB] NoteTab as a PIM?

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 5, 2002
      Hi roofman6,

      >I've always used Lotus Organizer as a personal information manager,
      >but cannot get the notepad sections to transfer or synchronize with
      >my Windows CE type palm pilot. I like NoteTab, and have been
      >wondering if anyone has set up NoteTab files to use as personal
      >information managers, and been able to sync them between various
      >computers?

      It depends on file type.

      >Can OTL files be read on Windows CE devices?

      Only if NoteTab is installed, so no, not as an Outline. Outlines
      in their native format can open, but not as an Outline viewed
      like in NoteTab. You get the code in the file. You need to use
      File | Export when you want a nice format for computers without
      NoteTab installed on them.

      I have a PIM that uses Clips in NoteTab. The Clips will only run
      in NoteTab of course, but the PIM can be read by any editor that
      reads text based files.

      NoteMan - Extract NoteMan.clb to NoteTab's Libraries folder:
      http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteman.zip

      Last I knew it was working fine, but I have not tested it for a
      long time. I probably should use it. It worked well when I last
      updated it fixing a bug that caused it not to run in Std/Light
      which was about v4.6a of 'Tab.

    • roofman6
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 6, 2002
        Thank you all... it looks promising. Can NoteTab be installed on a
        windows CE device? If so, that will be the answer, I will just keep
        my files in a folder that gets sync'd. Have any of you installed
        NoteTab on a CE operating system?

        Roofman

        --- In notetab@y..., Jody <av1611@e...> wrote:

        > >Can OTL files be read on Windows CE devices?
        >
        > Only if NoteTab is installed, so no, not as an Outline. Outlines
        > in their native format can open, but not as an Outline viewed
        > like in NoteTab. You get the code in the file. You need to use
        > File | Export when you want a nice format for computers without
        > NoteTab installed on them.
        >
        > I have a PIM that uses Clips in NoteTab. The Clips will only run
        > in NoteTab of course, but the PIM can be read by any editor that
        > reads text based files.
      • LaurieK
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 6, 2002
          I replied to Rooman in the NTO group but I guess no one saw it.... here is
          what I replied first thing this morning....

          Roofman, this is my area of expertise.... Windows CE... although I no longer
          support the PocketPC products (much to my extreme saddness and something I
          am unable to get into ....) I did support WindowsCE products from the day
          they hit the market back in 1997...

          Unless Eric writes a program to sync OTL files it won't happen.... and not
          to dissuade you from NoteTab because God KNOWS... it is what keeps me
          afloat.... but.. .to solve the delima you are having... check out Puma
          Technology's "IntelliSync" (www.pumatech.com) their IntelliSync program
          will sync your Lotus Organizer files with your Windows CE device... that's
          what its entire intent is.... It syncs data from PIM software other than MS
          Outlook... to a PocketPC or Handheld PC device.....

          Just trying to help.....

          Laurie
          PS.. .due to the nature of referring to another product, I did in good
          faith, attempt to take this to the NTO group...

          > >I've always used Lotus Organizer as a personal information manager,
          > >but cannot get the notepad sections to transfer or synchronize with
          > >my Windows CE type palm pilot. I like NoteTab, and have been
          > >wondering if anyone has set up NoteTab files to use as personal
          > >information managers, and been able to sync them between various
          > >computers?
          >
          > It depends on file type.
          >
          > >Can OTL files be read on Windows CE devices?
          >
          > Only if NoteTab is installed, so no, not as an Outline. Outlines
          > in their native format can open, but not as an Outline viewed
          > like in NoteTab. You get the code in the file. You need to use
          > File | Export when you want a nice format for computers without
          > NoteTab installed on them.
          >
          > I have a PIM that uses Clips in NoteTab. The Clips will only run
          > in NoteTab of course, but the PIM can be read by any editor that
          > reads text based files.
          >
          > NoteMan - Extract NoteMan.clb to NoteTab's Libraries folder:
          > http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteman.zip
          >
          > Last I knew it was working fine, but I have not tested it for a
          > long time. I probably should use it. It worked well when I last
          > updated it fixing a bug that caused it not to run in Std/Light
          > which was about v4.6a of 'Tab.
          >
          > Happy NoteTab'n,
          > Jody Adair
          >
          > The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
          > http://www.notetab.net
          >
          > The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
          > mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        • stephen riddle
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 6, 2002
            Hi Roofman6,
            I thought for sure, and yes there is a library to help you at least get
            staarted. Go to the NoteTab site, and browse to Other Libraries and check
            out the Palm2Way.zip by Kurt Woodham.
            It may be what you need or can get you started.
            Take care,
            Stephen

            On Friday 05 July 2002 08:36, you wrote:
            > I like NoteTab, and have been
            > wondering if anyone has set up NoteTab files to use as personal
            > information managers, and been able to sync them between various
            > computers?
            > Roofman6

          • stephen riddle
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 6, 2002
              Hi Roofman,
              Me again,
              Don't stop there, there are several more.
              Good luck,
              Stephen
            • roofman6
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 8, 2002
                Thanks Laurie,

                I purchased IntelliSync as soon as I got my CE device, and it does
                sync the address, ToDo, and Calendar sections of Lotus Organizer, and
                several other organizer programs, but it will not touch the Notepad
                sections, and here is where I have lived for the past 10 years. I
                love the automatic indexing of pages, the chapters and sections,
                etc. It's all so intuitive. I am now loving the "Outline" documents
                in NoteTab, for much the same reasons..., plus I can embed urls,
                etc. I would love to be able to link to individual email messages,
                but haven't figured that out yet, and am forced to copy and paste. I
                have notiece that my CE device will read the otl files if I rename
                them as txt files on my desktop. They read on the CE without the
                outlines, but they read... and I can continue to work on them as
                outline files on the desktop even though they are named txt files...
                I think I will have to settle for that. I think NoteTab could be
                pushed as an information manager type product, if they will get it to
                work on Palms and CE's, and it would truly be awesome.

                Thanks,
                Roofman