Replace & Print Scope in OTL files

  • rrbeatty
    Message 1 of 2 , May 15, 2002
      Greetings --

      I need to be able to explicitly define the scope for Replace
      operations when editting an OTL file.

      I most frequently use NoteTab for outlines. Whenever I start a new
      project, I create an new OTL for source code with the source's file
      name as the outline name (actually I use regex to place the file
      extension first, followed by a tab -- H="EXT\tFILENAME"). So each
      topic in the outline contains a copy of text from physically
      different files.

      When I perform a replace, e.g. to rename a variable, I always want
      the scope of Replace All limited to that topic only. Unfortunately
      Replace All changes every instance in every topic. If it's a Regex
      replace and it's a big OTl file, doing a Replace All can take minutes
      to complete and usually means that to undo it I have to close and re-
      open the OTL and lose any previously unsaved changes to the entire
      outline.

      I've the same scope issue with Print. I'm *always* asked if I want
      to print the topic or the whole OTL. Suggestions:

      1) It seems to me that the proper place to ask that question is on
      the first tab os the Print dialog.

      2) I'd like to be able to specify the default for that choice on the
      the first physical line of the OTL file. E.g.,
      = V4 Outline MultiLine TabWidth=30 Scope=TOPIC
      = V4 Outline MultiLine TabWidth=30 Scope=FILE

      3) Or perhaps enable a Print Topic button when an OTL file has focus.

      In general, I use each topic as if it were a separate file -- this
      crops up literally a dozen times per day, every day of my work year.

      I'm using NoteTab Pro v4.86 in Windows 2000 SP-2.

      I'd appreciate any advice,

      Roy Beatty
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 19, 2002
        Hi rrbeatty,

        >When I perform a replace, e.g. to rename a variable, I always want
        >the scope of Replace All limited to that topic only. Unfortunately
        >Replace All changes every instance in every topic. If it's a Regex
        >replace and it's a big OTl file, doing a Replace All can take minutes
        >to complete and usually means that to undo it I have to close and re-
        >open the OTL and lose any previously unsaved changes to the entire
        >outline.

        Simply press Ctrl+A to select the topic you are in and then do
        the Replace All.

        I'll pass your printing suggestions for Outlines over to the
        NextRelease list.

        Happy Test'n,
        Jody Adair

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options