word wrap bug???

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2002
      Hello Eric and Jody,

      I think I've found a bug in the WORDWRAP function in NotePro unless
      something about my video card is acting up.

      It hasn't actually caused a problem, except for a lot of confusion until
      I figured out what was happening.

      It seems to happen with .txt files in the edit window, any file with a
      wordwrapped line or 2. I tried an extension other than .txt and the
      word performed properly.

      Steps,

      Scroll to the bottom of file, or nearly so. For best (worst) results
      there should be 2 or 3 wrapped lines on the screen.

      Turn WordWrap OFF, I used the Toolbar icon, everything should look
      normal, lines will be unwrapped. You can scroll right to check if you like.

      Re-engage WordWrap, now, if it is going to foul up, some of you text
      will seem to disappear or it just won't rewrap, the vertical scrollbar
      slides up and down, text remains fixed.

      The directional arrows of the horizontal scrollbar will disappear, the
      middle (slider) portion of the scrollbar remains on screen but is
      ineffectual.
      ------------

      The 2 ways I've found to recover from this condition are,
      first, reload the file if it is on disk.

      Second way is, if file is large enough, scroll (scrolling up should
      take place with WordWrap disengaged) the file up a considerable distance
      and try engaging WordWrap again.

      This usually clears the bug, but if I try to use WordWrap again while
      the bottom of the file is visible

      I have now discovered a third method, rename the file to something other
      than a .txt extension and wordwrap will operate correctly.

      This isn't a lack of resources problem as I know so many others are, it
      happens with a fresh boot also.

      I would appreciate feedback from the list about this!!

      hrs
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2002
        Hi Harvey,

        Do a Ctrl+End/Home and it should clear as well. If it is what I
        think it is it happens sometimes when running Clips that format
        text quickly as well and pasting text sometimes. I have seen it
        happen on my Win98 machine with a Diamond 8MB video card, but not
        on my XP Pro with a 32MB geForce. I did not test your procedure.
        You might want to post over on the NRN list if you feel it needs
        to be checked/tested on more machines. (I rarely use Std/Light
        FWIW; only to test with.)

        >I think I've found a bug in the WORDWRAP function in NotePro
        >unless something about my video card is acting up.
        >
        >It hasn't actually caused a problem, except for a lot of
        >confusion until I figured out what was happening.
        >
        >It seems to happen with .txt files in the edit window, any file
        >with a wordwrapped line or 2. I tried an extension other than
        >.txt and the word performed properly.
        >
        >Steps,
        >
        >Scroll to the bottom of file, or nearly so. For best (worst)
        >results there should be 2 or 3 wrapped lines on the screen.
        >
        >Turn WordWrap OFF, I used the Toolbar icon, everything should
        >look normal, lines will be unwrapped. You can scroll right to
        >check if you like.
        >
        >Re-engage WordWrap, now, if it is going to foul up, some of you
        >text will seem to disappear or it just won't rewrap, the vertical
        >scrollbar slides up and down, text remains fixed.
        >
        >The directional arrows of the horizontal scrollbar will
        >disappear, the middle (slider) portion of the scrollbar remains
        >on screen but is ineffectual.
        >------------
        >
        >The 2 ways I've found to recover from this condition are, first,
        >reload the file if it is on disk.
        >
        >Second way is, if file is large enough, scroll (scrolling up
        >should take place with WordWrap disengaged) the file up a
        >considerable distance and try engaging WordWrap again.
        >
        >This usually clears the bug, but if I try to use WordWrap again
        >while the bottom of the file is visible
        >
        >I have now discovered a third method, rename the file to
        >something other than a .txt extension and wordwrap will operate
        >correctly.
        >
        >This isn't a lack of resources problem as I know so many others
        >are, it happens with a fresh boot also.
        >
        >I would appreciate feedback from the list about this!!

        Happy Test'n,
        Jody Adair

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
      • Fay
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2, 2002
          I also had trouble with word wrap. I thought it was because of something
          foolish I'd done. I do tend to click everything, just to see what happens.

          Suddenly, the day after someone else had been using the program, I had
          no word wrap. I went into Options and it was marked as on, and I clicked the
          Word Wrap icon on the Document menu. It didn't even change its appearance.

          Then I found Update Column Wrap Now.
          After I'd used that a few times I had spaces where none should be.

          Then I found the setup for NoteTab and installed a new copy, and everything
          is as it should be.

          It was awful while it lasted.

          Not complaining, just maybe adding to the thread.

          Fay