Re: Binary Files (was Re: [NTB] NTP 4.90)

  • Eric G.V. Fookes
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 21, 2002
      Hi Brig,

      Sorry for jumping in so late...

      >I really don't want to belabor this issue, but I must point out that
      >the files, which reside on a network drive, open--the first time--
      >perfectly in NTP. It is only after editing and saving and then re-
      >retrieving them from the network that the files contain binary
      >characters. This is the case even without the use of other programs
      >to parse/edit the files. NTP really seems to be the culprit.

      Could you tell me what happens when you follow the same procedure and save
      the file on your local drive instead of the network drive? Do you also get
      binary characters then? Or do you only get them when you save to the
      network drive? What kind of network is it on? Thanks for any feedback you
      can provide on this issue.

      Regards,
      Eric G.V. Fookes

    • sychau
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 21, 2002
        Hi,
        I started the original binary files problem post and went to private
        e-mail contact with Jody. This is a snippet what I had originally e
        e-mailed to him:

        -----begin snip

        This is how I reproduce the error each time:

        1. Open file in NoteTab (opens without a hitch)
        2. Modify the file and do a regular save.
        3. Close NoteTab
        4. Re-start NoteTab
        5. Right after I re-start NoteTab I get the binary notification
        immediately because I have NoteTab set to re-open files I don't close
        manually. Even if I close the file before step 3 above and try to re-
        open it, I get the binary message.

        -----end snip

        Like Brig, all files I am attempting to open are on a network
        server. I do not have this problem on files stored locally. I'll
        see if I can find out what kind of network it is. Please keep me in
        this loop. Jody- did you get a chance to create the clip to remove
        the binary characters? Using a clip would be a last alternative due
        to the large amount of files and modifications I have to make on a
        daily basis. Thanks much.

        Thanks,
        Stephanie

        --- In notetab@y..., "Eric G.V. Fookes" <egroups@f...> wrote:
        > Hi Brig,
        >
        > Sorry for jumping in so late...
        >
        > >I really don't want to belabor this issue, but I must point out
        that
        > >the files, which reside on a network drive, open--the first time--
        > >perfectly in NTP. It is only after editing and saving and then re-
        > >retrieving them from the network that the files contain binary
        > >characters. This is the case even without the use of other programs
        > >to parse/edit the files. NTP really seems to be the culprit.
        >
        > Could you tell me what happens when you follow the same procedure
        and save
        > the file on your local drive instead of the network drive? Do you
        also get
        > binary characters then? Or do you only get them when you save to
        the
        > network drive? What kind of network is it on? Thanks for any
        feedback you
        > can provide on this issue.
        >

        > Regards,
        > Eric G.V. Fookes
        > Author of NoteTab, Mailbag Assistant, and Album Express
        > http://www.fookes.com/ and http://www.notetab.com/

      • brig_mail
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 21, 2002
          Eric:

          Thanks for your help. The problem never occurs when the files
          originate (are opened from) my hard drive. If I move the same files
          to one of the network drives, open them in NoteTab Pro, edit, save,
          and reload, then the non-text characters appear. Here's the kicker:
          it doesn't happen everytime. I just went through these steps with two
          sample files several times--once or twice the non-text characters did
          not appear. As for the kind of network it is, I'm not sure; I know
          it's Unix-based, though. What more would you like to know about it?

          Thanks again for your time and thoughts.

          Best,
          Brig

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 21, 2002
            Howdy:

            This conversation has gone private, off the group list. Let me know
            if you'd like me to copy you in on the exchange.

            Best,
            Brig

            PS. Your personal mailbox at Excite seems to be full--my original
            attempt to email you directly got bounced back to me.

            --- In notetab@y..., "sychau" <schau@e...> wrote:

            > ... Please keep me in this loop....
          • bk22001
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
              Hello.

              I have got the same problem with null characters at the end of a NTP-
              modified textfile.

              Is there any solution to this bug?

              Thanks in advance.
              Ben
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 2, 2002
                Hi Ben,

                If you are on a Network drive, uncheck Make Backups under the
                File tab in Options.

                >I have got the same problem with null characters at the end of a NTP-
                >modified textfile.
                >
                >Is there any solution to this bug?
                >
                >Thanks in advance.
                >Ben

              • bk22001
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 2, 2002
                  Hello Jody,

                  I am working on a network drive and NTP must not make backups (View -
                  > Options -> Files: Make Backup is unchecked) but the problem still
                  persists.

                  Any suggestions?

                  Regards,
                  Ben
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 3, 2002
                    Hi Ben,

                    We went through a lot of stuff to try on this list not too long
                    ago. You might want to search the archives at yahoo. Since this
                    is a very isolated problem that does not concern the large
                    majority of the list subscribers please write me at
                    mailto:Jody@... or post on the NoteTab Next Release list.
                    Please see my signature line to subscribe to it.

                    Send the message with the steps you are taking to get the binary
                    character such as does it happen are your save the file or does
                    it open like that in files that have never been opened in NoteTab
                    before? Is it only the last character at the end of the document
                    or is it in other places as well? Does it harm anything when it
                    is there? Is it a full folder directory with every file having
                    the same character? Send what other information you think might
                    help. You might have the case that some other editor or server
                    is adding the binary code.

                    Also send what version of NoteTab and Windows OS you are in. Thanks!

                    >I am working on a network drive and NTP must not make backups (View -
                    >> Options -> Files: Make Backup is unchecked) but the problem still
                    >persists.

                    Happy Test'n,
                    Jody Adair

                    Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                  • Wiles, Carolyn M
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 8, 2002
                      My problems also occurred with the make backups unchecked (that is one of
                      the first options that I change).

                      I have not had a repeat of the binary characters being introduced outside of
                      the actual file text since reverting back to Notetab Light Version 4.86c.

                      I would really like to be able to use Notetab Pro. However, we have been
                      instructed not to use
                      NTP 4.90 because of this error.

                      Thanks.

                      Cara
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 9, 2002
                        Hi Cara and Others,

                        Until Eric has time to see and fix whatever the problem is with
                        the binary character being added after the save is done in
                        NoteTab, I suggest you run v4.86c until then. There is nothing
                        more we can do on the list to help. Write me at jody@...
                        if you have additional information about the problem or you need
                        assistance in downloading and installing v4.86c. Please send
                        your registration confirmation if you are a registered user. TIA