RE: [NTB] NTP 4.90

  • Wiles, Carolyn M
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 20, 2002
      I work on SGML files where the TASK ID within each SGML file is copied and
      pasted out of the
      SGML file so than it can be parsed and processed in an editor for a
      proprietary program. We
      have been using Notetab to do this cut and paste process. This proprietary
      .269 file can be
      read as a text file in Notetab.

      I have been using Notetab Light for a normal work process. I downloaded the
      Release 4.90
      Notetab Pro Trial and used it yesterday in that normal process.

      For some reason, all the files that I saved using the new version of Notetab
      had hidden binary characters at the end that were not noticeable until
      someone attempted to parse the .269 files.

      After we noticed the problem, I reloaded the files in to Notetab and all of
      them indicated that they were not reloading completely due to binary
      characters. When I turned the binary option on,
      all of the files showed ................... after the ending TASK ID
      (outside of the cut and pasted text that was popped in to Notetab). This
      extraneous information could not be cut or deleted from the file in Notetab.

      I copied and pasted every TASK ID file from the original SGML into the old
      version of Notetab
      and saved them all (43) again. None of them have the binary characters and
      they all are
      parsing properly as before. The problem seems to be specific to the new
      release.

      Any explanations/suggestions?

      Cara
    • brig_mail
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 20, 2002
        Cara & everyone:

        This is exactly what was happening to my files. I too have the binary
        options enabled and NoteTab Pro behaved for me just like it did for
        you. Maybe it is this new release after all.

        Thanks,
        Brig

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 20, 2002
          Hi Brig & Cara & Others,

          >> For some reason, all the files that I saved using the new
          >> version of Notetab had hidden binary characters at the end that
          >> were not noticeable until someone attempted to parse the .269
          >> files.
          >>
          >> After we noticed the problem, I reloaded the files in to
          >> Notetab and all of them indicated that they were not reloading
          >> completely due to binary characters. When I turned the binary
          >> option on, all of the files showed ................... after
          >> the ending TASK ID (outside of the cut and pasted text that was
          >> popped in to Notetab). This extraneous information could not be
          >> cut or deleted from the file in Notetab.

          It cannot be removed in NoteTab, because NoteTab marks the file as
          Read-Only (Documents menu) as a safety precaution for you.

          >> I copied and pasted every TASK ID file from the original SGML into
          >> the old version of Notetab and saved them all (43) again. None of
          >> them have the binary characters and they all are parsing properly
          >> as before. The problem seems to be specific to the new release.

          "My guess is your options were set differently in the copies of
          NoteTab you have. This is from a post I made the other day:

          "Thanks for the information. I suspect it is certain files
          generated in other programs that is causing the binary problem
          you are experiencing. NoteTab does not add the binary codes.

          "Normally, you will find the null character is at the end of the
          file when you know the file is truly a text based file. Check to
          see if that is where the binary replacement character is.

          "Open Options and the File tab, then press F1. Read and understand
          the three binary settings in Help via F1 or the Help button.

          "> PS. The circumstances, for the record, were these (in case
          > other users experience similar problems): SGML files on a
          > network drive.

          "It is usually from a server where one experiences those problems.
          I think you will find that they are already there and NoteTab is
          just letting you know about it."

          I had the problem once when downloading a mess of HTML files from
          an FTP server of some type. For some reason it wanted to add
          that extra character at the end of file to each file. I have
          seen other programs add the extra character at the end also
          (well, actually, when working with a customer that was what was
          happening). It is not that hard to get rid of with a Clip or
          two. Write me at jody@... if you would like to try the
          two Clips.

          I have a couple Clips that will delete the last character in the
          file (the default NoteTab binary replacement character) if it
          exists. It does it to a whole directory at one time and *should
          not* mess up any files. Make a backup of course.

        • brig_mail
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 21, 2002
            Jody:

            I really don't want to belabor this issue, but I must point out that
            the files, which reside on a network drive, open--the first time--
            perfectly in NTP. It is only after editing and saving and then re-
            retrieving them from the network that the files contain binary
            characters. This is the case even without the use of other programs
            to parse/edit the files. NTP really seems to be the culprit.

            I apologize if there is something simple and basic I'm failing to
            understand.

            Many thanks,
            Brig

            --- In notetab@y..., Jody <av1611@e...> wrote:
            > Hi Brig & Cara & Others,
            > "It is usually from a server where one experiences those problems.
            > I think you will find that they are already there and NoteTab is
            > just letting you know about it."

            Not the case.
          • Eric G.V. Fookes
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 21, 2002
              Hi Brig,

              Sorry for jumping in so late...

              >I really don't want to belabor this issue, but I must point out that
              >the files, which reside on a network drive, open--the first time--
              >perfectly in NTP. It is only after editing and saving and then re-
              >retrieving them from the network that the files contain binary
              >characters. This is the case even without the use of other programs
              >to parse/edit the files. NTP really seems to be the culprit.

              Could you tell me what happens when you follow the same procedure and save
              the file on your local drive instead of the network drive? Do you also get
              binary characters then? Or do you only get them when you save to the
              network drive? What kind of network is it on? Thanks for any feedback you
              can provide on this issue.

              Regards,
              Eric G.V. Fookes

            • sychau
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 21, 2002
                Hi,
                I started the original binary files problem post and went to private
                e-mail contact with Jody. This is a snippet what I had originally e
                e-mailed to him:

                -----begin snip

                This is how I reproduce the error each time:

                1. Open file in NoteTab (opens without a hitch)
                2. Modify the file and do a regular save.
                3. Close NoteTab
                4. Re-start NoteTab
                5. Right after I re-start NoteTab I get the binary notification
                immediately because I have NoteTab set to re-open files I don't close
                manually. Even if I close the file before step 3 above and try to re-
                open it, I get the binary message.

                -----end snip

                Like Brig, all files I am attempting to open are on a network
                server. I do not have this problem on files stored locally. I'll
                see if I can find out what kind of network it is. Please keep me in
                this loop. Jody- did you get a chance to create the clip to remove
                the binary characters? Using a clip would be a last alternative due
                to the large amount of files and modifications I have to make on a
                daily basis. Thanks much.

                Thanks,
                Stephanie

                --- In notetab@y..., "Eric G.V. Fookes" <egroups@f...> wrote:
                > Hi Brig,
                >
                > Sorry for jumping in so late...
                >
                > >I really don't want to belabor this issue, but I must point out
                that
                > >the files, which reside on a network drive, open--the first time--
                > >perfectly in NTP. It is only after editing and saving and then re-
                > >retrieving them from the network that the files contain binary
                > >characters. This is the case even without the use of other programs
                > >to parse/edit the files. NTP really seems to be the culprit.
                >
                > Could you tell me what happens when you follow the same procedure
                and save
                > the file on your local drive instead of the network drive? Do you
                also get
                > binary characters then? Or do you only get them when you save to
                the
                > network drive? What kind of network is it on? Thanks for any
                feedback you
                > can provide on this issue.
                >

                > Regards,
                > Eric G.V. Fookes
                > Author of NoteTab, Mailbag Assistant, and Album Express
                > http://www.fookes.com/ and http://www.notetab.com/

              • brig_mail
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 21, 2002
                  Eric:

                  Thanks for your help. The problem never occurs when the files
                  originate (are opened from) my hard drive. If I move the same files
                  to one of the network drives, open them in NoteTab Pro, edit, save,
                  and reload, then the non-text characters appear. Here's the kicker:
                  it doesn't happen everytime. I just went through these steps with two
                  sample files several times--once or twice the non-text characters did
                  not appear. As for the kind of network it is, I'm not sure; I know
                  it's Unix-based, though. What more would you like to know about it?

                  Thanks again for your time and thoughts.

                  Best,
                  Brig

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 21, 2002
                    Howdy:

                    This conversation has gone private, off the group list. Let me know
                    if you'd like me to copy you in on the exchange.

                    Best,
                    Brig

                    PS. Your personal mailbox at Excite seems to be full--my original
                    attempt to email you directly got bounced back to me.

                    --- In notetab@y..., "sychau" <schau@e...> wrote:

                    > ... Please keep me in this loop....
                  • bk22001
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
                      Hello.

                      I have got the same problem with null characters at the end of a NTP-
                      modified textfile.

                      Is there any solution to this bug?

                      Thanks in advance.
                      Ben
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 2, 2002
                        Hi Ben,

                        If you are on a Network drive, uncheck Make Backups under the
                        File tab in Options.

                        >I have got the same problem with null characters at the end of a NTP-
                        >modified textfile.
                        >
                        >Is there any solution to this bug?
                        >
                        >Thanks in advance.
                        >Ben

                      • bk22001
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 2, 2002
                          Hello Jody,

                          I am working on a network drive and NTP must not make backups (View -
                          > Options -> Files: Make Backup is unchecked) but the problem still
                          persists.

                          Any suggestions?

                          Regards,
                          Ben
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 3, 2002
                            Hi Ben,

                            We went through a lot of stuff to try on this list not too long
                            ago. You might want to search the archives at yahoo. Since this
                            is a very isolated problem that does not concern the large
                            majority of the list subscribers please write me at
                            mailto:Jody@... or post on the NoteTab Next Release list.
                            Please see my signature line to subscribe to it.

                            Send the message with the steps you are taking to get the binary
                            character such as does it happen are your save the file or does
                            it open like that in files that have never been opened in NoteTab
                            before? Is it only the last character at the end of the document
                            or is it in other places as well? Does it harm anything when it
                            is there? Is it a full folder directory with every file having
                            the same character? Send what other information you think might
                            help. You might have the case that some other editor or server
                            is adding the binary code.

                            Also send what version of NoteTab and Windows OS you are in. Thanks!

                            >I am working on a network drive and NTP must not make backups (View -
                            >> Options -> Files: Make Backup is unchecked) but the problem still
                            >persists.

                            Happy Test'n,
                            Jody Adair

                            Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                          • Wiles, Carolyn M
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 8, 2002
                              My problems also occurred with the make backups unchecked (that is one of
                              the first options that I change).

                              I have not had a repeat of the binary characters being introduced outside of
                              the actual file text since reverting back to Notetab Light Version 4.86c.

                              I would really like to be able to use Notetab Pro. However, we have been
                              instructed not to use
                              NTP 4.90 because of this error.

                              Thanks.

                              Cara
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 9, 2002
                                Hi Cara and Others,

                                Until Eric has time to see and fix whatever the problem is with
                                the binary character being added after the save is done in
                                NoteTab, I suggest you run v4.86c until then. There is nothing
                                more we can do on the list to help. Write me at jody@...
                                if you have additional information about the problem or you need
                                assistance in downloading and installing v4.86c. Please send
                                your registration confirmation if you are a registered user. TIA