NTP 4.90 Install

  • Charles Sulka
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 10, 2002
      I just downloaded NTP 4.9 and ran the install.
      I was so used to NTP's smooth upgrades from one
      version to the next that I didn't even bother
      to make a backup of my .INI file. Needless to
      say, the new version does not import one's
      .INI file info, so I lost it. Using a month
      old backup of the file (mea culpa) I tried to
      simply overwrite the new one, NOTEPRO.INI.
      Well, that did't work--NTP 4.9 simply opened it
      as the fourth document, after the three canned
      docs. Using NTP 4.9 to print an email I sent,
      I discovered that it used an almost illegible
      type font. I don't know where NTP's printer
      controls are stored, nor how to reset them.

      Q: can I upgrade to V4.9 and still keep my
      original settings?

      Finally, a suggestion: I think V4.9 should be
      called V5.0 and offered to users as a nominal-price
      upgrade. I feel guilty because with Fookes software
      we are getting way too much for our money. (I have
      heard that Bill Gates uses a picture of Eric Fookes
      for a dartboard). I think it is about time for us
      to make another payment to support the (simply
      incredible) level of excellence we are getting from
      Fookes et al.

      Thanks, guys.

      CHS
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 10, 2002
        Hi Charles,

        >I just downloaded NTP 4.9 and ran the install. I was so used to
        >NTP's smooth upgrades from one version to the next that I didn't
        >even bother to make a backup of my .INI file. Needless to say,
        >the new version does not import one's.INI file info, so I lost it.

        I've installed 1000s of times and never had an ini file
        overwritten or messed up. You machine must have burped at the
        wrong time. ;)

        >Using a month old backup of the file (mea culpa) I tried to
        >simply overwrite the new one, NOTEPRO.INI. Well, that did't work-
        >-NTP 4.9 simply opened it as the fourth document, after the three
        >canned docs.

        You close NoteTab, then copy the NotePro.ini into its main
        folder, then start NoteTab. It should use you backup then.

        >Using NTP 4.9 to print an email I sent, I discovered that it used
        >an almost illegible type font. I don't know where NTP's printer
        >controls are stored, nor how to reset them.

        File | Print... | Font | [Font...]

        >Q: can I upgrade to V4.9 and still keep my original settings?

        Yes, but you have me confused asking the question now. ;)

        >Finally, a suggestion: I think V4.9 should be called V5.0 and
        >offered to users as a nominal-price upgrade. I feel guilty
        >because with Fookes software we are getting way too much for our
        >money. (I have heard that Bill Gates uses a picture of Eric
        >Fookes for a dartboard). I think it is about time for us to make
        >another payment to support the (simply incredible) level of
        >excellence we are getting from Fookes et al.

        :-)

      • Eric G.V. Fookes
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 11, 2002
          Hello Charles,

          >I just downloaded NTP 4.9 and ran the install.
          >I was so used to NTP's smooth upgrades from one
          >version to the next that I didn't even bother
          >to make a backup of my .INI file. Needless to
          >say, the new version does not import one's
          >.INI file info, so I lost it.

          The install procedure should be as smooth as all the others since version
          4.86. There's been no change. Furthermore, the Setup program never
          overwrites the Notepro.ini file. The only way it can be removed is if you
          uninstall NoteTab prior to installing the new update. Is this perhaps what
          you did? Or is it possible you installed this new version in a different
          folder from the previous one?

          >Q: can I upgrade to V4.9 and still keep my
          >original settings?

          That's what it's designed to do.

          >Finally, a suggestion: I think V4.9 should be
          >called V5.0 and offered to users as a nominal-price
          >upgrade. I feel guilty because with Fookes software
          >we are getting way too much for our money. (I have
          >heard that Bill Gates uses a picture of Eric Fookes
          >for a dartboard). I think it is about time for us
          >to make another payment to support the (simply
          >incredible) level of excellence we are getting from
          >Fookes et al.

          Thank you very much for your kind note. I must admit that the free upgrades
          are starting to get expensive as we get charged for the extra bandwidth
          provoked by all the downloads. But I made promises about version 5.0 and so
          I stick to them. One way registered users can help is to vote for NoteTab
          in the "Best Application" category of the People's choice award:

          http://www.mediaweave.com/siafvote/index.cfm

          Regards,
          Eric G.V. Fookes