File date sort

  • gail
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 10, 2002
      I've asked this before but never saw a response,
      so
      if you do know the answer, please cc me a copy of
      your post: Gail@...

      I usually work on several files at a time, but I
      have
      a horrid time keeping track of them when I have
      to pick them out of an alphabetical listing.
      Putting them on my favorites list in various
      categories doesn't work, because the file
      groupings
      change from day to day.

      What I need is some way to access files based
      on their modification date. I know I can do this
      with Explorer but this is too darn slow and
      cumbersome. Enabling a quick list sort option
      based on access or modification date would be
      most helpful. Thank you.
      Gail
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 10, 2002
        Hi Gail,

        >I usually work on several files at a time, but I have a horrid
        >time keeping track of them when I have to pick them out of an
        >alphabetical listing. Putting them on my favorites list in
        >various categories doesn't work, because the file groupings
        >change from day to day.
        >
        >What I need is some way to access files based on their
        >modification date. I know I can do this with Explorer but this
        >is too darn slow and cumbersome. Enabling a quick list sort
        >option based on access or modification date would be most
        >helpful. Thank you.

        If you do not have many thousands and many subfolders the File
        List 483 works well below. It is one of the Clips in the
        dirstuff.zip. I'm way to sleepy and tired to figure out why
        there is a fairly large amount of files not showing up in the
        Sorting... (DOS), but I think it has to do with the file
        attributes. I and not that good at DOS stuff so when I tried to
        do all the attributes as /A:HSRA I kept getting failures. If I
        leave it out altogether out of about 300 files that are in the
        folder I was testing with about 50 were not showing up and when I
        used CompareIt a lot of them were my Libraries in the Hidden
        state. File List 4.83 is accurate and fast enough with under a
        few thousand files, but up at like 15-20K it takes perhaps 5
        minutes - it gets them all though. <g> Maybe one of the DOS boys
        or girls can fix the Sorting... (DOS) because it is real fast on
        many 1000s of files. Both can sort by a number of ways, date
        included, and there is an option for subfolders in both. If you
        do not do the subfolders in the DOS Clip you do not get the full
        path. Sign up for the Clips list if you need to discuss the
        Clips, please. Please see my signature line to subscribe to it.
        TIA

        http://www.notetab.net/zip/dirstuff.zip
        Last updated on 04-14-2002, 09:56pm, jody

        File List 4.83...
        ; Last updated on 02-25-2001, Sojourner@..., jody
        Sorting... (DOS)
        ; Last updated on 06-15-2000