Re: [NTB] can't replace notpad with notetab and make it stick

    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2002
      Hi Dennis,

      >How can I prevent MS Notepad from re-installing itself over
      >NoteTab Pro after I replace it, by selecting to replace it in the
      >NoteTab Pro Help Menu?

      You can associate text based files in NoteTab under View | Options |
      Associations. (If you do not see the Associations tab check the box
      to show the Advanced Features under the View tab.)

      Look in the Utilities Library under the NoteTab Shortcuts section
      for a few Clips. The Clips will add SendTo NoteTab, Edit HTML (with
      NoteTab), and should make NoteTab your default editor for IE View
      Source or Edit button.

      From Help under Frequently Asked Questions:
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
      Can I replace Notepad with this editor?

      Yes! If NoteTab is correctly installed, you will find a command
      called "Replace MS Notepad" under the Help menu. When you choose
      that command, NoteTab will first rename Notepad by adding the
      extension ".MS" to the program file. Then, it will copy a special
      little program called NOTEPAD.STB to the Windows directory and
      rename it NOTEPAD.EXE. Whenever this program is executed, it
      launches NoteTab instead of Notepad. If you want to restore MS
      Notepad after this operation, just use the command "Restore MS
      Notepad", which is also available under the Help menu.

      Note that this feature may not work properly under Windows 2000, XP,
      and ME, due to the Windows File Protection (WFP) monitoring system,
      which checks for changes to system files.

      From the Help menu:
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
      Replace MS Notepad
      Once this command has been activated, it causes NoteTab to execute
      whenever MS Notepad is invoked. When you choose that command,
      NoteTab will first rename Notepad by adding the extension ".MS" to
      the program file. Then, it will copy a special little program called
      NOTEPAD.STB to the Windows or System directory. Whenever this
      program is executed, it launches NoteTab instead of Notepad. If you
      want to restore MS Notepad after this operation, just use the
      command "Restore MS Notepad", which is also available under the Help
      menu.

      Restore MS Notepad
      Reverses the changes made by the "Replace MS Notepad" command. This
      command is only available after you have used the "Replace MS
      Notepad" command.

      If you are still having problems, try going to the following link
      of Jim Hall's and use the Win2000 procedure for Notepad
      replacement.

      http://jimbow.com/