Placing cursor in front of first character in line

  • John Joyner
    Message 1 of 5 , May 30, 2002
      Is there a way to place the cursor easily in front of (at the left of) the
      first character in a line? Perhaps a configurable setting? When I place
      my mouse to the left of a line and click, the entire line is selected. I
      can manage to place the cursor just before the first letter only by very
      careful, meticulous positioning.
      'Hoping there's a way -
      - John

      John Joyner
      The Cooper Company
      9235 Santa Margarita Road
      Atascadero CA 93422
      805-438-4442
    • hpaulissen
      Message 2 of 5 , May 30, 2002
        Hello John,

        > Is there a way to place the cursor easily in front of (at the left
        of) the
        > first character in a line?

        Would <HOME> be of any help here? Works in NoteTab Pro...

        Hugo
        Message 3 of 5 , May 30, 2002
          Hi John,

          >> Is there a way to place the cursor easily in front of (at the
          >> left of) the first character in a line?
          >
          >Would <HOME> be of any help here? Works in NoteTab Pro...
          >
          >Hugo

          If you must use the mouse there is a very "fine line" (invisible)
          between the first character and what is called the gutter. The
          gutter is the area on the left where no text is. You will see
          your mouse pointer change shapes when you go from the first
          character into the gutter. It is the point right before the
          change that you want to click so that it is in the first column.
          FWIW, if you double click in the gutter in Pro, it will select
          all the way till a new line, which could be many soft wrapped
          lines if you have word wrap on.

        • stephen riddle
          Message 4 of 5 , May 30, 2002
            Hi John,
            My guess is that your mouse settings are causing you to actually drag the
            cursor over the line. Chances are also, that you want these settings that
            way (otherwise why else would they be that way?) (If I'm wrong about that,
            they can be reset through your control panels (click the Windows button,
            select settings, then control panel and browse until you find the right one.)
            Anyway, whenever you have a whole line selected, you can easily do one of two
            (or more) things: (1.) press the home button; (2.) press the right then the
            left arrow (or up and down arrows). The first action sets the cursor at the
            beginning of the line, the second action deselects a selection.
            Hope this helps,
            Stephen

            > can manage to place the cursor just before the first letter only by very
            > careful, meticulous positioning.
          • Dart Chris
            Message 5 of 5 , May 31, 2002
              Try the "home" button!