Easy file management in NoteTab Pro

  • kld1956
    Message 1 of 5 , May 4, 2002
      I work daily on multiple projects, editing text files. Each project
      has a file structure that goes pretty deep (usually 6 levels or
      more). I'd like an easy way of getting to specific directories so I
      don't have to click so much in the Open File dialog box.

      For the timebeing, I have created a Favorites category for each
      project and have added all of the current files so I can get at them
      in the Quicklist. We add new files to each project daily, so this
      will involve some time keeping the list up-to-date.

      I tried adding the directory path for each project in one Favorites
      category but, with 6+ levels, I can't see the final destination in
      the Quicklist unless I make it really wide.

      I tried creating a Favorites category for each project with only the
      path to the project files, then creating a clip to open the contents
      of that category, but the clip (using ^!OpenFavorites CategoryName)
      does not work.

      I would love it if I could create a clip that would open the Open
      File dialog box and display the directory I need. Or if I could add
      an item to a Favorites category and display a different name (other
      than the file name).

      Any suggestions?
      Message 2 of 5 , May 4, 2002
        Hi,

        >I tried creating a Favorites category for each project with only
        >the path to the project files, then creating a clip to open the
        >contents of that category, but the clip (using ^!OpenFavorites
        >CategoryName) does not work.

        That is working for me in Pro v4.9b6. Please sign up on the
        Clips list to discuss Clips; see my signature line to subscribe
        to it. TIA

        >I would love it if I could create a clip that would open the Open
        >File dialog box and display the directory I need. Or if I could
        >add an item to a Favorites category and display a different name
        >(other than the file name).

        I messed up and did the following: +F:\*.otl (Ouch!) I did not
        know I had so many Outlines in many folders in my NoteTab tree.

        Some dos Clips can open just a window of a certain folder you
        choose from a NoteTab Wizard listbox.

        I'm not sure about this link, but Wayne VanWeerthuizen has a file
        manager done in a Clip.

        http://home.attbi.com/~waynevanw/

        Happy Clip'n!

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
      • Don Daugherty
        Message 3 of 5 , May 5, 2002
          At 02:19 AM 5/4/2002, you wrote:
          >I work daily on multiple projects, editing text files. Each project
          >has a file structure that goes pretty deep (usually 6 levels or
          >more). I'd like an easy way of getting to specific directories so I
          >don't have to click so much in the Open File dialog box.
          Would this work:
          In the sub-directory for each level create a dummy file, e.g.,
          "level-name.txt", and make that file a favorite. Then, providing you have
          Match Directory checked under View/Options/Files, if you simply open the
          desired dummy file from your favorites list, File/Open will then default to
          that sub-directory.
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 5 , May 5, 2002
            kld1956:
            >> I work daily on multiple projects, editing text files.
            Each
            >> project has a file structure that goes pretty deep
            (usually 6
            >> levels or more). I'd like an easy way of getting to
            specific
            >> directories so I don't have to click so much in the
            Open File
            >> dialog box.

            I recently found an Open/Save shell extension (freeware)
            that might help you. It adds two buttons to the Open/Save
            dialogue box which give the ability to select a dropdown
            list of recently used (a) folders and (b) files.

            Dialog Box Assistant v1.01 (src=Lockergnome)
            http://www.dualitysoft.com/osdex/

            Regards ... Alec
            (cc Off-topic)