issue: document-summary properties going blank

  • disquietmarc
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 29, 2002
      I've had this problem today that I've never seen before. I regularly
      enter text into document-summary properties (title, subject, etc.).
      And, later, after having worked on the document in NoteTab (Light)
      the properties go blank.

      This has been happening whether I enter the information by right
      clicking on the file itself or if I use "Disk File Properties" from
      the NoteTab Document pulldown.

      I did some searching through this list's archive and didn't come
      across anything along these lines, so I thought I'd send a note. If
      anyone has any insight, that'd be swell.

      Thanks.

      Marc
      marc@...
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 29, 2002
        Hi Marc,

        Can you duplicate the problem after a fresh reboot of Windows?
        If so, and if you have a large amount of files open in NoteTab at
        its startup and/or large files, close them and then reboot
        Windows and see if that changes things. (You can also try
        removing the files in the INI file or a long shot would be making
        a new INI file.) Some information about memory follows the INI
        file info. You could possibly have a corrupt richedit32.dll
        which is a Windows rich edit control file, version one in earlier
        Windows versions. (I have to re-read my note from Eric about XP
        not having a version one. ;)

        If you want to create a new ini file, close NoteTab and rename
        NotePro.ini found in its main folder (NoteTab.ini for Std/Light).
        Start up NoteTab and it will use its default settings actually
        creating the ini file when you shut down NoteTab. Start up
        NoteTab and it will use its default settings making a new INI
        file on shutdown.

        You may edit the INI file inside NoteTab. Simply save the file
        with an exclamation mark (!NotePro.ini or !NoteTab.ini) in front
        of it and restart NoteTab.

        Windows has basically three types of memories: RAM, Virtual
        Memory (your hard disk), and a small section of RAM used for
        storing Windows object handles. When Windows runs out of system
        resources, it may have plenty of RAM left, but it runs out of
        space for storing handles. This is often when funny things start
        happening like the tab bar displaying blank tabs, or the Toolbar
        showing no icons.

        Only libraries open in the Clipbook window will occupy RAM. The
        more items, and the larger the Clips, the more RAM it uses up.
        Running Clips that create variables will take another chunk from
        RAM. Closing the Clipbook window will free several handles which
        occupy the third type of memory.

        Large amounts of Favorites and long lists slow down the loading
        of NoteTab and use up a fair amount of RAM.

        A large Undo limit size. "Large Undo Limit" is dependant on how
        many documents you open, not necessarily the limit you have
        NoteTab configured for in View | Options | Advanced. It should
        rarely be a problem though if you open less than 50 documents at
        a time.

        A large number of Libraries on the button bar would also take up
        extra resources. Each button requires a Windows handle. Tools
        on the Toolbar and the Clipbar also use the mentioned handles as
        do the document tabs.

        Display problems is usually the first visible sign of being low
        on the resources it takes to paint the different objects in a
        window. Sometimes, a better video card with more memory can help
        or better/the latest drivers. You might consider turning down
        your hardware acceleration a notch for awhile to see the effect
        it has.

        >I've had this problem today that I've never seen before. I regularly
        >enter text into document-summary properties (title, subject, etc.).
        >And, later, after having worked on the document in NoteTab (Light)
        >the properties go blank.
        >
        >This has been happening whether I enter the information by right
        >clicking on the file itself or if I use "Disk File Properties" from
        >the NoteTab Document pulldown.

      • Marc Weidenbaum
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 30, 2002
          Thanks, Jody. I'll give this all a try shortly. I tried two things
          suggested below just now:

          1. I've just now created a new INI file, and started NoteTab fresh, but to
          no avail. After making the new INI file, I started NoteTab, and it opened
          fresh, as if I'd only just installed it. Then I opened a single
          pre-existing text document in NoteTab, then closed it, and the various
          fields (aside from name) went empty: title, subject.

          2. I did a full harddrive search for the dll you mention, richedit32.dll,
          and in fact there is no such dll on my system, which is Windows XP.

          I'll read through the rest of your note and give it a try, but in the
          meanwhile I figured I'd write back with the results of my acting on two of
          the suggestions. If you have any thoughts on what I wrote, above, let me know.

          Thanks, as always, for your thorough assistance.

          Marc

          - - -
          Marc Weidenbaum
          www.disquiet.com
        • Eric G.V. Fookes
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 30, 2002
            Hello Marc,

            >I've had this problem today that I've never seen before. I regularly
            >enter text into document-summary properties (title, subject, etc.).
            >And, later, after having worked on the document in NoteTab (Light)
            >the properties go blank.
            >
            >This has been happening whether I enter the information by right
            >clicking on the file itself or if I use "Disk File Properties" from
            >the NoteTab Document pulldown.

            Currently, the only way to preserve the summary information is to disable
            backups in NoteTab. To do this, open the Options dialog box, go to the
            Files tab, and then uncheck the "Make Backups" setting.

            I'll see if I can find an adequate solution in an upcoming update of
            NoteTab to preserve those properties with backups enabled.

            Regards,
            Eric G.V. Fookes

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 30, 2002
              Hi Marc,

              Check your settings (permissions) in XP and see if you allowed
              to do whatever you want with the file.

              I found my question about XP and richedit32.dll with Eric's reply
              following it:

              >What rich edit control is XP Pro using? riched32.dll is only 4KB.

              It uses version 1.0, which doesn't exist under Windows XP/2000.
              These versions of windows emulate the functions or rich-edit
              v1.0, which is why they offer the stub file riched32.dll for
              compatibility with programs that use it.

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 30, 2002
                Hi Eric and Marc,

                Can you update the Help file if you do not find a solution for
                Std/Light. Pro works fine. Marc, sorry for all the hassle; I
                read Document | Properties and not Document | Disk File Properties.

                >> I've had this problem today that I've never seen before. I
                >> regularly enter text into document-summary properties (title,
                >> subject, etc.). And, later, after having worked on the document
                >> in NoteTab (Light) the properties go blank.
                >
                >Currently, the only way to preserve the summary information is to
                >disable backups in NoteTab. To do this, open the Options dialog
                >box, go to the Files tab, and then uncheck the "Make Backups"
                >setting.
                >
                >I'll see if I can find an adequate solution in an upcoming update
                >of NoteTab to preserve those properties with backups enabled.

              • Alec Burgess
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 30, 2002
                  Marc / Jody
                  >> Currently, the only way to preserve the summary
                  information is to
                  >> disable backups in NoteTab. To do this, open the
                  Options dialog
                  >> box, go to the Files tab, and then uncheck the "Make
                  Backups"
                  >> setting.
                  >>
                  >> I'll see if I can find an adequate solution in an
                  upcoming update
                  >> of NoteTab to preserve those properties with backups
                  enabled.

                  Is this Document summary thing a non-Win9x thing? I don't
                  have it on Win98.

                  However ... I do have a program
                  http://www.jps.at/annotater.html called AnnotatOr which
                  adds a tab to Properties in all files. I don't use it
                  much but have just verified it works (and is preserved
                  across Saves) in NTB PRO. Just checked - it also works in
                  Ntb-Light (v4.85) with .bak backups enabled.

                  You might want to give it a try.

                  Regards ... Alec
                  (cc. Offtopic)

                  Sponsor -------------------
                  > --~--> Tied to your PC? Cut Loose and
                  > Stay connected with Yahoo! Mobile

                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/QBCcSD/o1CEAA/yigFAA/dkFolB/TM
                • Eric G.V. Fookes
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 30, 2002
                    Hi Alec,

                    >Is this Document summary thing a non-Win9x thing? I don't
                    >have it on Win98.

                    If I'm not mistaken, it is a feature provided by NTFS 5 (Windows 2000 and XP).

                    Regards,
                    Eric G.V. Fookes

                  • Eric G.V. Fookes
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 3, 2002
                      Hi Marc,

                      >I've had this problem today that I've never seen before. I regularly
                      >enter text into document-summary properties (title, subject, etc.).
                      >And, later, after having worked on the document in NoteTab (Light)
                      >the properties go blank.
                      >
                      >This has been happening whether I enter the information by right
                      >clicking on the file itself or if I use "Disk File Properties" from
                      >the NoteTab Document pulldown.
                      >
                      >I did some searching through this list's archive and didn't come
                      >across anything along these lines, so I thought I'd send a note. If
                      >anyone has any insight, that'd be swell.

                      This issue has now been fixed in NoteTab 4.9 beta #6:

                      http://www.notetab.com/beta.htm

                      Regards,
                      Eric G.V. Fookes