Re: [NTB] Feature request: block select

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 9, 2002
      you can select with the mouse

      --
      Don Passenger
      mailto:dpasseng@...
      home: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
      work: http://www.grcourt.org
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "tacpans" <tacpans@...>
      To: <notetab@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 10:48 PM
      Subject: Re: [NTB] Feature request: block select

      > --- In notetab@y..., hsavage <hsavage@s...> wrote:
      > > On 4/8/02 3:31 PM, tacpans wrote:
      > > > I would very much like block select (select a rectangular area) to be
      > > > implemented.
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 9, 2002
        On 4/9/02 9:48 PM, tacpans wrote:
        > --- In notetab@y..., hsavage <hsavage@s...> wrote:
        >
        >>On 4/8/02 3:31 PM, tacpans wrote:
        >> > I would very much like block select (select a rectangular area) to be
        >>
        >>So would we all like visual block selecting, but, although it doesn't
        >>look correct NoteTab already has block selecting.
        >>
        > Don't I feel stupid! Yes, I did overlooked this feature. Works OK,
        > except of course I would like to be able to select with a mouse
        > (although the present type of selection can be useful too), and it
        > would be nice if it looked right... OK, will wait for v. 5.
        >
        > Thanks

        SnapCat,

        As Don said in a previous email, you can select a block with the mouse.
        Just left click and hold down, at the upper left corner of the block
        and drag the cursor down to the lower right corner.

        You can also select by placing the cursor at the top left, press and
        hold the SHIFT KEY, then, click at the column and row of the bottom
        right corner.

        hrs
      • tacpans
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 10, 2002
          > SnapCat,
          >
          > As Don said in a previous email, you can select a block with the mouse.
          > Just left click and hold down, at the upper left corner of the block
          > and drag the cursor down to the lower right corner.
          >
          > You can also select by placing the cursor at the top left, press and
          > hold the SHIFT KEY, then, click at the column and row of the bottom
          > right corner.
          >
          > hrs

          HRS, Don,

          You are talking about regular selection - from opint A to point B. I
          was asking about rectangular block selection. For example, suppose I
          have this text:

          111 222 333
          444 555 666
          777 888 999

          I want to select just the middle column:

          222
          555
          888

          You can't do this with regular selection method (try it). But you can
          with block selection. Right now the only way to do this is too use
          Modify/Block/Copy menu where you need to specify block width and
          height. And although it copies the correct area onto the clibboard,
          selection is applied incorrectly.

          It seems to me that right now holding Ctrl while selecting with a
          mouse doesn't change anything. Why not use Ctrl to select rectangular
          blocks?
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 10, 2002
            On 4/10/02 12:33 PM, tacpans wrote:
            >>SnapCat,
            >>
            >>As Don said in a previous email, you can select a block with the mouse.
            >> Just left click and hold down, at the upper left corner of the block
            >>and drag the cursor down to the lower right corner.
            >>
            >>You can also select by placing the cursor at the top left, press and
            >>hold the SHIFT KEY, then, click at the column and row of the bottom
            >>right corner.
            >>
            >>hrs
            >

            > HRS, Don,
            >
            > You are talking about regular selection - from opint A to point B. I
            > was asking about rectangular block selection. For example, suppose I
            > have this text:
            >
            > 111 222 333
            > 444 555 666
            > 777 888 999
            >
            > I want to select just the middle column:
            >
            > 222
            > 555
            > 888
            >
            > You can't do this with regular selection method (try it). But you can
            > with block selection. Right now the only way to do this is too use
            > Modify/Block/Copy menu where you need to specify block width and
            > height. And although it copies the correct area onto the clibboard,
            > selection is applied incorrectly.
            >
            > It seems to me that right now holding Ctrl while selecting with a
            > mouse doesn't change anything. Why not use Ctrl to select rectangular
            > blocks?

            Snap,

            Sorry, but, you can select rectangular text blocks exactly as the 2
            methods above.

            After selection, right click in the Edit window and click the pop-up
            menu choice 'Copy Block'.

            The example pasted below was done as above, the triple 2 column was done
            by dragging the mouse to mark the rectangle and the triple 3 column was
            done by placing the cursor at the start position, pressing the shift key
            and clicking where I wanted the bottom right corner of the rectangle to be.

            111 222 333
            444 555 666
            777 888 999

            222
            555
            888

            333
            666
            999

            hrs
          • Don Passenger
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 10, 2002
              > You are talking about regular selection - from opint A to point B. I
              > was asking about rectangular block selection. For example, suppose I
              > have this text:
              >
              > 111 222 333
              > 444 555 666
              > 777 888 999
              >
              > I want to select just the middle column:
              >
              > 222
              > 555
              > 888

              You lost me. If I place my cursor between the blank space and the two,
              click and drag until my cursor is after the third 8, then alt+m/b/c, I get
              the middle column copied. Maybe we need an example of what you are trying
              to do.

              I did used to use wordstar and you could enable "block select mode" ... or
              was it early wordperfect. Once you turned that on you could select a block
              and then for example only search within that block. That would be the only
              reason I can think of why you would want to do that.

              Here I would build a clip if I just wanted to search a particular column, or
              actually I would use the one Jody already wrote.

              If I want to cut, paste, delete, the block command looks fine even though
              their appears to be highlighted information outside the block.
            • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 10, 2002
                tacpans wrote:

                >You are talking about regular selection - from opint A to point B. I
                >was asking about rectangular block selection.
                >I want to select just the middle column:

                This is what his example does. The method of making the selection is the
                same whether you are selecting continuous text or a vertical block
                (columns) of text. And the selection looks the same on the screen.
                It is not the selection that makes the difference, but what you do
                with it.

                What differs is that there are separate commands for block cut, block
                copy, block paste, and block delete. Only use the regular cut and paste
                options if you want to do a regular cut or paste. If you want to cut or
                paste a block, you must use the special block based cut and paste options
                instead.

                For example:

                Instead of Cut or Ctrl-X, you use "Modify - Block - Cut"
                Instead of Copy or Ctrl-C, you use "Modify - Block - Copy"
                Instead of Paste or Ctrl-V, you use "Modify - Block - Paste"

                These options can also be added to the toolbar, or to the shortcut (right-
                click) menu.

                Quoting from NoteTab's help file:

                >Block Submenu
                >
                >Although NoteTab is not capable of drawing rectangular selections, it
                >determines the block coordinates based on the selection's start and end
                >coordinates. These commands are not designed to operate on word-wrapped
                >lines. Currently, NoteTab treats tabs as a single character, so tab size
                >is not taken into account - this feature may be improved in a future
                >version of the program. This submenu can be found under the Modify menu.

                This means you may need to do two things first before the block options
                will work correctly.

                1) Turn off word wrap.
                2) Use the "Modify - Spaces - Tabs To Spaces" command.

                >Cut
                >
                >Cuts the block selection and puts it on the Clipboard. A dialog box will
                >prompt you for the block dimensions if no text has been selected. Select
                >the Modify | Block | Paste menu command to paste the block of text back
                >into NoteTab (using the normal Paste command will not insert the block in
                >columnar format).

                If there is no selection, or if the start and end points of the selection
                are in the same column (such that the selected block would be zero wide)
                NoteTab will prompt you for the height and width of the desired block.
                If for some reason you already know the size of the block you want, this
                could be faster than using the mouse to select it.

                >Paste
                >
                >Inserts Clipboard contents at the column position (determined from the
                >cursor position).

                There is a minor bug still in NoteTab. The "Block Paste" option will not
                insert a block if the cursor is on a blank line. If you want to paste a
                block so that it is by itself on its own lines, you need to first insert a
                space or other character into the line where you are block pasting. If
                this character is unwanted, delete it immediately after the pasting is
                finished. (Alternatively, this is the one instance where using the regular
                Ctrl-V paste option might do what you want anyway.)
              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 10, 2002
                  On 4/10/02 1:37 PM, hsavage wrote:
                  > On 4/10/02 12:33 PM, tacpans wrote:
                  > >>SnapCat,
                  > >>
                  > >>As Don said in a previous email, you can select a block with the
                  mouse.
                  > >> Just left click and hold down, at the upper left corner of the block
                  > >>and drag the cursor down to the lower right corner.
                  > >>
                  > >>You can also select by placing the cursor at the top left, press and
                  > >>hold the SHIFT KEY, then, click at the column and row of the bottom
                  > >>right corner.
                  > >>
                  > The example pasted below was done as above, the triple 2 column was done
                  > by dragging the mouse to mark the rectangle and the triple 3 column was
                  > done by placing the cursor at the start position, pressing the shift key
                  > and clicking where I wanted the bottom right corner of the rectangle
                  to be.

                  > 111 222 333
                  > 444 555 666
                  > 777 888 999
                  >
                  > 222
                  > 555
                  > 888
                  >
                  > 333
                  > 666
                  > 999

                  Snap,

                  I'm sorry I neglected to mention, if you're the keyboard type, you can
                  select a block also by, the cursor control (arrow keys) in conjunction
                  with the shift key. You place the cursor at the upper left corner and
                  while depressing the shift key, move, with the cursor keys to the bottom
                  right of the block. Next, with the keyboard, do Alt+M B C, to copy the
                  block.

                  The following column of numbers was cut and pasted in this manner.

                  111
                  444
                  777

                  hrs
                • Wright, John - Textron Financial
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 11, 2002
                    Sorry, I'm using NTP 4.86, and the mouse version of the select block does
                    not work for me. If I try to left click and drag to select the three middle
                    columns, I get:

                    111 222 333
                    444 555 666
                    777 888 999

                    222 333
                    444 555 666
                    777 888

                    The SHIFT KEY method does work, however.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 11, 2002
                      I also use 4.86. It works fine if I put cursor in front of the first two,
                      left click and drag til after the last 8. The selection looks like it
                      includes 222 and 333, the entire middle row 444 555 666 and 777 and 888 even
                      though using block command gets only 222 555 and 888.

                      I am using the pro version.
                      Maybe you have the Arthur Anderson version. *grin*

                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 11, 2002
                        On 4/11/02 6:41 AM, Wright John - Textron Financial wrote:
                        > Sorry, I'm using NTP 4.86, and the mouse version of the select block
                        does not work for me. If I try to left click and drag to select the
                        three middle columns, I get:

                        > 111 222 333
                        > 444 555 666
                        > 777 888 999
                        >
                        > 222 333
                        > 444 555 666
                        > 777 888
                        >
                        > The SHIFT KEY method does work, however.

                        ----------------------------------

                        John,

                        I may have discovered how you got the above result, I get the same if I
                        try to drag the block to a new location.

                        You cannot drag the block, you have to use the 'Copy Block' right-click
                        menu choice or Alt+M B C to copy the block, then Ctrl+V to paste into a
                        new location. Ctrl+V or 'Paste' from the right-click menu works better
                        than 'Paste Block' in most cases.

                        * The 'Paste Block' command gives very odd results most of the time.

                        To Paste as a block, say, in the middle of a page of text, use the
                        'Paste Block' menu command or Alt+M B P.

                        To Paste at, or close to the left margin, use Crtl+V as you would with
                        an ordinary Paste function.

                        Don't give up, the functionality is there, but flawed. All will be
                        right with the World when NoteTab Pro V5 is released.

                        I don't think I've left anything out

                        hrs
                        -----------

                        KEYBOARD CURSOR, SHIFT KEY, ARROW KEYS
                        -Place the cursor at the upper left corner of block.
                        -Depress and hold the shift key.
                        -Move, with the cursor keys, to the bottom right of the block.
                        -Do Alt+M B C, to copy the block.

                        LEFT MOUSE CLICK, DRAG CURSOR, RELEASE MOUSE
                        -Left click and hold mouse at the upper left corner of block.
                        -Drag the cursor lower right corner of the block to mark.
                        -Release mouse.

                        LEFT MOUSE CLICK, HOLD SHIFT KEY, LEFT MOUSE CLICK
                        -Place the cursor at the top left corner of block.
                        -Press and hold the SHIFT KEY.
                        -Click at the precise bottom right corner.

                        111 222 333
                        444 555 666
                        777 888 999