Re: [NTB] Explorer context menu?

  • tacpans
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 9, 2002
      Thanks all for replies. I'll check out the links.

      P.S. I already knew how to do Send To... menu. Some computers
      routinely misconfigure Send To links for Zip drives or floppy drives,
      so I had to learn how to repair that.
    • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 10, 2002
        Of the files I mentioned earlier, this is the one I'd most recommend:

        >CONTEXT EDIT..........This immediately goes onto our favorites list. It
        >has much more power and utility than any other context menu editor we've
        >seen. ContextEdit lets you control which items appear on your context
        >menu--the menu that appears when you right-click on an item in Windows
        >Explorer. The context menu often contains numerous rarely-used commands.
        >These commands come from one of two places: shell commands stored within
        >the system Registry, and context menu handlers. The source of the menu
        >item is transparent to the end-user, but still has an impact. Windows
        >Explorer lets you add or remove simple shell commands, but gives you no
        >control over context menu handlers. ContextEdit lets you control both
        >types of context menu items. It also allows you to disable context menu
        >items without removing them entirely. Another unique feature is the
        >ability to add shell commands to all files regardless of type, or to all
        >files without an associated program .....(free)
        >
        >http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,10615,77428,00.html

        I just tested it and by adding "Open with NoteTab Pro" and
        "Open with NoteTab Std" shortcuts for all file types.

        Seems to work great, and was easy to use.
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 10, 2002
          Hi All,

          Let's start winding this thread down please or take to the ntb-
          offtopic list. Please see my signature line to subscribe to it.
          TIA The Clips list would be OK also as long as it is not dealing
          with how to use the other apps/utls mentioned. Thanks!

          Happy Topics,
          Jody

          The NoteTab Off-Topic List
        • Amitava
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 10, 2002
            Hi!

            > Does anyone know if it is possible to add NoteTab to the context menu
            > in Windows File Explorer? To put it simply, you right-click on a
            > file, and in the context menu there is an option to open the file
            > with NoteTab. I know how to add NoteTab to "Send to..." menu, but I
            > am lazy, so I would prefer a more direct approach :) ConTEXT has
            > this option at install time.

            I haven't been active on the lists for a lo...ong time. There seems to be
            one method that has been missed by everyone. There is a clip called "Open
            with NoteTab" under "NoteTab Shortcuts" in the Utilities Library, that does
            the job in a trice. At least it works for me in Win98SE. Perhaps it doesn't
            work under 2000, NT, XP et. al. and that is the reason you other guys missed
            it. It can also be done easily by editing the Registry; again in Win98SE.

            Amitava
          • tacpans
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 14, 2002
              OK, thanks everyone for replies. I think this topic has been whipped
              pretty much to death, but I'll add something. Most of the suggested
              recepies seem too complicated, so in short:

              1. Select text from the upper left corner of the block to the lower
              right. Use any regular selection method. No, it will not look like a
              block selection. No, there is no way to actually select a rectangular
              block in NoteTab.

              2. Use the Modify/Block/Copy command to copy a rectangular block. To
              cut a block, use M/b/cut. To paste use either regular paste or block
              paste, whichever suits your needs.

              Note: there is no context menu item for block copy, as someone
              suggested. (Unless you added it yourself.)

              Snap
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 15, 2002
                Hi Snap,

                >Note: there is no context menu item for block copy, as someone
                >suggested. (Unless you added it yourself.)

                See Options | Shortcut to add it to the Shortcut (content) menu.