Problem with Oracle SQL*PLUS and NoteTab lite 4.86C

  • BeilstWH
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 5, 2002
      With the previous versions, when I invoked the editor in Sql*Plus
      with the edit command, NOTETAB would be invoked and it would edit a
      temporary file called afiedt.buf. While notetab was running the
      SQL*Plus program would wait. When notetab was exited, sql*Plus would
      read in the afiedt.buf file and insert the contents into its working
      buffer (fairly standard stuff). What happens with the 8.46c version
      is that sql*plus never waits and immediatly reads in the contents of
      afiedt.buf (which has not been changed). Any ideas why the behavoir
      changed?
    • Eric G.V. Fookes
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 5, 2002
        At 21:09 05/04/02 +0000, you wrote:
        >With the previous versions, when I invoked the editor in Sql*Plus
        >with the edit command, NOTETAB would be invoked and it would edit a
        >temporary file called afiedt.buf. While notetab was running the
        >SQL*Plus program would wait. When notetab was exited, sql*Plus would
        >read in the afiedt.buf file and insert the contents into its working
        >buffer (fairly standard stuff). What happens with the 8.46c version
        >is that sql*plus never waits and immediatly reads in the contents of
        >afiedt.buf (which has not been changed). Any ideas why the behavoir
        >changed?

        Sql*Plus probably doesn't like the fact that there is already an instance
        of NoteTab that is open. Either close that instance before invoking NoteTab
        from your Sql*Plus program, or check the "View/Multiple Instances" menu
        command.

        Hope this helps.

        Regards,
        Eric G.V. Fookes

      • BeilstWH
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 8, 2002
          That didn't change it's behavoir. When the editor is invoked, notetab
          is not running. I also tried check the "Multiple Instances" and that
          didn't make any difference either. Unfortunally I overwrote the
          previous version with the new one. Is there any way to get the
          previous version of Notetab lite?

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 8, 2002
            Hi BeilstWH,

            You might try searching for NoteTab Light on the web and find a
            site that has not updated for awhile. There are normally a few
            of them out there. (Perhaps somebody will send an older copy to
            you via private eMail or upload it for you to download.)

            You can register and buy a CD if you would like and I could send
            an older version on a CD-ROM with all the other programs and
            files on the latest. (I can sell you just a CD with the software
            on it and put the version of Light you want on it also.) See
            http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-orders.htm I also have some older
            registered versions on CD and some older registered versions with
            small flaws in them that I will give $5.00 the cost of the CD if
            you order through snail mail with a check drawn on US funds or an International money order.

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 8, 2002
              What was the previous version you used prior to 4.86c? The method for
              handling multiple instances has been unchanged since quite a few updates.

              --Eric Fookes

              At 13:50 08/04/2002 +0000, you wrote:
              >That didn't change it's behavoir. When the editor is invoked, notetab
              >is not running. I also tried check the "Multiple Instances" and that
              >didn't make any difference either. Unfortunally I overwrote the
              >previous version with the new one. Is there any way to get the
              >previous version of Notetab lite?
              >
              >--- In notetab@y..., "Eric G.V. Fookes" <egroups@f...> wrote:
              > > At 21:09 05/04/02 +0000, you wrote:
              > > >With the previous versions, when I invoked the editor in Sql*Plus
              > > >with the edit command, NOTETAB would be invoked and it would edit a
              > > >temporary file called afiedt.buf. While notetab was running the
              > > >SQL*Plus program would wait. When notetab was exited, sql*Plus
              >would
              > > >read in the afiedt.buf file and insert the contents into its
              >working
              > > >buffer (fairly standard stuff). What happens with the 8.46c version
              > > >is that sql*plus never waits and immediatly reads in the contents
              >of
              > > >afiedt.buf (which has not been changed). Any ideas why the behavoir
              > > >changed?
              > >
              > > Sql*Plus probably doesn't like the fact that there is already an
              >instance
              > > of NoteTab that is open. Either close that instance before invoking
              >NoteTab
              > > from your Sql*Plus program, or check the "View/Multiple Instances"
              >menu
              > > command.

              Regards,
              Eric G.V. Fookes

            • William Beilstein
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 9, 2002
                My previous version was 4.85

                I got a copy of the 4.85 notetab.exe and replaced the 4.86c notetab.exe and copied it over windows\notepad.exe

                My problem has gone away. What ever happened, there definitely was a difference between the 4.85 and 4.86c versions. Thank you for your response.

                >>> egroups@... 04/08/02 04:21PM >>>
                What was the previous version you used prior to 4.86c? The method for
                handling multiple instances has been unchanged since quite a few updates.

                --Eric Fookes

                At 13:50 08/04/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                >That didn't change it's behavoir. When the editor is invoked, notetab
                >is not running. I also tried check the "Multiple Instances" and that
                >didn't make any difference either. Unfortunally I overwrote the
                >previous version with the new one. Is there any way to get the
                >previous version of Notetab lite?
                >
                >--- In notetab@y..., "Eric G.V. Fookes" <egroups@f...> wrote:
                > > At 21:09 05/04/02 +0000, you wrote:
                > > >With the previous versions, when I invoked the editor in Sql*Plus
                > > >with the edit command, NOTETAB would be invoked and it would edit a
                > > >temporary file called afiedt.buf. While notetab was running the
                > > >SQL*Plus program would wait. When notetab was exited, sql*Plus
                >would
                > > >read in the afiedt.buf file and insert the contents into its
                >working
                > > >buffer (fairly standard stuff). What happens with the 8.46c version
                > > >is that sql*plus never waits and immediatly reads in the contents
                >of
                > > >afiedt.buf (which has not been changed). Any ideas why the behavoir
                > > >changed?
                > >
                > > Sql*Plus probably doesn't like the fact that there is already an
                >instance
                > > of NoteTab that is open. Either close that instance before invoking
                >NoteTab
                > > from your Sql*Plus program, or check the "View/Multiple Instances"
                >menu
                > > command.

                Regards,
                Eric G.V. Fookes