NoteTab and Win2000, Weird Behavior

  • Virgil Arrington Jr.
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2002
      I use NoteTab Light to create Rich Text Files for importing into a full
      fledged word processor. I do this by inserting the appropriate Rich Text
      codes into a basic text file. I use the ^!Replace command in a clipbook to
      replace dot lines (of my own imagination) with the appropriate RTF code.

      One of the codes that must be inserted into every RTF file starts with the
      string, "{\rtf". Without it, an RTF reader won't read the RTF formatting
      codes I've inserted into the file.

      I have used this method successfully on PC's running both Win95 and Win98.

      Recently, however, my employer upgraded me to Windows 2000. Now, when I
      attempt to insert the RTF codes, I am unable to insert any code that starts
      with the string "{\rtf". NoteTab just refuses to insert the code.

      I've also tried to Copy and Paste the code to no avail. NoteTab refuses to
      paste the string "{\rtf". I can copy it in NoteTab and paste it in other
      editors, but not in NoteTab. Hitting CTRL-V or Paste from the menu simply
      does nothing.

      Does anybody out there have a clue what might be happening here? I'm using
      Windows 2000 (Version 5, Build 2195, Service Pack 2) and NoteTab Light
      4.86c.

      Thanks

      Virgil

    • Eric G.V. Fookes
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2002
        Hello Virgil,

        >Recently, however, my employer upgraded me to Windows 2000. Now, when I
        >attempt to insert the RTF codes, I am unable to insert any code that starts
        >with the string "{\rtf". NoteTab just refuses to insert the code.
        >
        >I've also tried to Copy and Paste the code to no avail. NoteTab refuses to
        >paste the string "{\rtf". I can copy it in NoteTab and paste it in other
        >editors, but not in NoteTab. Hitting CTRL-V or Paste from the menu simply
        >does nothing.
        >
        >Does anybody out there have a clue what might be happening here? I'm using
        >Windows 2000 (Version 5, Build 2195, Service Pack 2) and NoteTab Light
        >4.86c.

        NoteTab Light uses the Windows rich-edit control, so failure to accept the
        paste is probably due to this control rather than NoteTab. Have you tried
        doing this with the trial version of NoteTab Pro?

        Regards,
        Eric G.V. Fookes

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2002
          Hi Virgil,

          I'd be more than happy to test your Library in XP Pro. ;) Can
          you send it to me in private eMail or put it on the web for
          download please? I'll send you a suggestion via private eMail
          since it deals with Clip code and "everybody" knows we do not
          post Clip code on this list, don't we? <bg>

          Oh, check to make sure your files are not marked read-only,
          especially if you can insert the rtf code in a new document.

          >I use NoteTab Light to create Rich Text Files for importing into a full
          >fledged word processor. I do this by inserting the appropriate Rich Text
          >codes into a basic text file. I use the ^!Replace command in a clipbook to
          >replace dot lines (of my own imagination) with the appropriate RTF code.
          >
          >One of the codes that must be inserted into every RTF file starts with the
          >string, "{\rtf". Without it, an RTF reader won't read the RTF formatting
          >codes I've inserted into the file.
          >
          >Does anybody out there have a clue what might be happening here? I'm using
          >Windows 2000 (Version 5, Build 2195, Service Pack 2) and NoteTab Light
          >4.86c.

          Happy Clip'n!

          Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
        • Virgil Arrington Jr.
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2002
            From Eric,

            >NoteTab Light uses the Windows rich-edit control, so failure to accept the
            >paste is probably due to this control rather than NoteTab. Have you tried
            >doing this with the trial version of NoteTab Pro?

            Thanks for the quick response.

            I just downloaded the Pro Trial version and it did not behave the same way.
            In other words, my clip worked fine in Pro and properly pasted the "{\rtf"
            string.

            I checked my Windows System32 folder and found the following Rich Edit
            Control dll's

            Riched20.dll
            Rich Text Edit Control, v3.0
            File Version 5.30.23.1205

            and

            Riched32.dll
            Wrapper Dll for Richedit 1.0
            File Version 5.0.2134.1

            I also found a workaround for Light. I just insert the string "\rtf", which
            Light will allow me to do, then do a CTRL+Home and insert the "{" character.
            It works, albeit slightly less elegantly.

            Thanks again for your help.

            Virgil