Intro

  • Hirschman
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 1 2:36 AM
      Hi - I'm a "newbie" of sorts - I've worked with stat scripts and just
      finished redoing our website completely - so know my way around - but am
      looking for some easy short cuts and things with html.........
      I live in the midwestern US. We ranch and are in the "wildlife outfitter"
      business...
      Thanks for having me!
      Pat

      ---
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 2 1:03 PM
        Hi Pat,

        Welcome to the NoteTab Basic list. If you sign up for the
        NoteTab and HTML list you might find some shortcuts people use on
        that list. Please see my signature line to subscribe to it. The
        Clips list would also be helpful for you. I think most people
        (advanced, perhaps, but not limited to) use Libraries and Clips
        so they can customize their output the way they want. Templates
        are also used by some. Then others just go with the NoteTab
        "issue" of Clipbars and Libraries. (Please click on Help |
        NoteTab Glossary for terms you/others might not be familiar
        with.)

        >Hi - I'm a "newbie" of sorts - I've worked with stat scripts and
        >just finished redoing our website completely - so know my way
        >around - but am looking for some easy short cuts and things with
        >html......... I live in the midwestern US. We ranch and are in
        >the "wildlife outfitter" business...
        >Thanks for having me!

        Thanks for the warning! ha-ha, ;)

        Happy HTML'n!

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
      • Hirschman
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 2 5:12 PM
          Thanks - did it!
          Pat

          > Welcome to the NoteTab Basic list. If you sign up for the
          > NoteTab and HTML list you might find some shortcuts people use on
          > that list. Please see my signature line to subscribe to it. The
          > Clips list would also be helpful for you. I think most people
          > (advanced, perhaps, but not limited to) use Libraries and Clips
          > so they can customize their output the way they want. Templates
          > are also used by some. Then others just go with the NoteTab
          > "issue" of Clipbars and Libraries. (Please click on Help |
          > NoteTab Glossary for terms you/others might not be familiar
          > with.)
          >
          > http://www.notetab.net/html/maillist.htm
          >
          > >Hi - I'm a "newbie" of sorts - I've worked with stat scripts and
          > >just finished redoing our website completely - so know my way
          > >around - but am looking for some easy short cuts and things with
          > >html......... I live in the midwestern US. We ranch and are in
          > >the "wildlife outfitter" business...
          > >Thanks for having me!
          >
          > Thanks for the warning! ha-ha, ;)
          >
          > Happy HTML'n!
          > Jody
          >
          > http://www.notetab.net
          >
          > Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
          > mailto:ntb-html-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          ---
        • Graham Briggs
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 21, 2005
            Hi, I've been using NoteTab light for a while, and
            have managed to get my boss to consider purchasin it
            for our PC Support team, the only question is, is it
            still under active development? Seems like a long time
            since 4.95.

            If anyone knows, can you post? Thanks

            Graham

            =====
            --
            "jump in my skull; lay back, enjoy the show"

            www.brightblack.net

            The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
            http://my.yahoo.com
          • Don - htmlfixit.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 21, 2005
              Graham Briggs wrote:
              > Hi, I've been using NoteTab light for a while, and
              > have managed to get my boss to consider purchasin it
              > for our PC Support team, the only question is, is it
              > still under active development? Seems like a long time
              > since 4.95.
              >
              > If anyone knows, can you post? Thanks
              >
              > Graham
              >
              > =====
              Hi Graham,

              There is "active" development of a version five, however, it has been in
              development for about a year and a half. To my knowledge there is not
              real time frame for it to be completed. I know the author has been
              coding hard on some other software that he has going, so I think this
              really isn't likely out anytime soon. When it finally does come out, It
              will have some significant improvements, but it will also likely be more
              complex. I strongly suspect I will try to keep a copy of 4.95 at the
              same time as I run version 5.

              I can say that any major bug in NoteTab has always been promptly fixed
              by the author. When I first got the program, there were regular
              releases of updates and things because a major upgrade caused a few bugs
              here and there to develop. However, I think it has arrived at a point
              where it is very stable, has very few significant bugs, and is well
              worth the price. They have said on several occaisions that people who
              buy 4.95 will get a discount on version five when it is released. I
              don't think you would be making a mistake to purchase it. I consider
              the license to almost be a donation. I save enough in time weekly with
              this program to pay for it every week or two.

              The biggest thing lacking it seems to me in the current version is
              syntax highlighting for languages other than HTML. The new version --
              that will arrive at some far distant date -- is supposed to fix that
              with custom syntax highlighting. It will also likely include improved
              Reg Edit abilities. I think that they are losing sales to TextEdit and
              some others because of some of these issues. However, if you get to
              know them up close and personal, NoteTab is the bomb -- as they say. It
              is so powerful.

              You will like a lot of things in the paid version. Spring for it. Line
              numbering and multiple levels of undo are two of my favorite features in
              pro. You can see all the features (and a few that are better in other
              versions) here: http://notetab.com/chart.php

              For $19.95 for a single license, the existing product is a huge bargain
              if you use it even a little. For what it is worth, buy your license
              through Jody and he gets a little cut of the action for all the work he
              does around here too and he usually tosses in a few extra files that are
              helpful.
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 21, 2005
                Hi Graham,

                >Hi, I've been using NoteTab light for a while, and have managed
                >to get my boss to consider purchasing it for our PC Support team,
                >the only question is, is it still under active development? Seems
                >like a long time since 4.95.

                Yes, it is, although we have not been able to get back to
                upgrading it as soon as we had hoped for. Be assured that it is
                not abandoned though.

                Happy Tab'n,

              • John Morse
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 21, 2005
                  I've never regreted purchasing my copy! Awesome software, and I can't
                  wait for the Custom Syntax highlighting, that is the main thing that
                  is really needed.

                  Don> For $19.95 for a single license, the existing product is a huge bargain
                  Don> if you use it even a little.
                • rosie81286
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 10, 2005
                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@h...>
                    wrote:

                    > Graham Briggs wrote:
                    > You will like a lot of things in the paid version. Spring for it.
                    Line
                    > numbering and multiple levels of undo are two of my favorite
                    features in
                    > pro. You can see all the features (and a few that are better in

                    Graham,
                    My version of notetabe pro 4.95 does not have multiple undos or at
                    least it doesn't work.
                    any idea why or if there is a setting somewhere that turns it on/off?

                    thanks
                    rosie
                  • Don - htmlfixit.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 10, 2005
                      rosie81286 wrote:

                      > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@h...>
                      > wrote:
                      >

                      >>Graham Briggs wrote:
                      >>You will like a lot of things in the paid version. Spring for it.
                      >
                      > Line
                      >
                      >>numbering and multiple levels of undo are two of my favorite
                      >
                      > features in
                      >
                      >>pro. You can see all the features (and a few that are better in
                      >

                      > Graham,
                      > My version of notetabe pro 4.95 does not have multiple undos or at
                      > least it doesn't work.
                      > any idea why or if there is a setting somewhere that turns it on/off?
                      If you have NoteTab Pro (the paid version) multiple undo are automatic.
                      If you paid, I suspect you somehow didn't get installed correctly. I
                      love multiple undo's I might add. I would buy it for this reason
                      alone. You should have them also if you have the test version running I
                      think.
                    • rosie81286
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 10, 2005
                        wrote:
                        > If you have NoteTab Pro (the paid version) multiple undo are
                        automatic.
                        > If you paid, I suspect you somehow didn't get installed
                        correctly. I
                        > love multiple undo's I might add. I would buy it for this reason
                        > alone. You should have them also if you have the test version
                        running I
                        > think.

                        i have the paid version. i have just emailed jody too.
                        seems nobody in the gorup has this same issue (i searched the
                        archive).

                        i believe notetab was intslled properly but awhile back some wierd
                        thing was happening in the ini file so who knows.

                        i've actually never had the multpile undo - redo function working.
                      • David R. Hanson
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 29, 2005
                          Hi Jody,

                          Any updates? I've been very happy with NP pro for years, but no
                          updates in 2+ years isn't a good sign...

                          It would also be nice if someone involved would set up a real message
                          board, rather than a simple yahoo group.

                          Thanks, Dave

                          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:
                          > Hi Graham,
                          >
                          > >Hi, I've been using NoteTab light for a while, and have managed
                          > >to get my boss to consider purchasing it for our PC Support team,
                          > >the only question is, is it still under active development? Seems
                          > >like a long time since 4.95.
                          >
                          > Yes, it is, although we have not been able to get back to
                          > upgrading it as soon as we had hoped for. Be assured that it is
                          > not abandoned though.
                          >
                          > Happy Tab'n,
                          > Jody Adair
                          >
                          > NoteTabbers Assistant Page Sojourners Software
                          > http://www.notetab.net http://www.sojourner.us/software
                          > http://www.fookes.us http://www.clean-funnies.com
                        • John Mitchell
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 29, 2005
                            Amen!

                            Regards, John M

                            David R. Hanson wrote:

                            > snip..
                            >
                            > It would also be nice if someone involved would set up a real message
                            > board, rather than a simple yahoo group.
                            >
                            > Thanks, Dave
                            >
                            > ..snip
                          • Greg Chapman
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 30, 2005
                              Hi Jody,

                              > Amen!
                              >
                              > Regards, John M
                              >
                              > David R. Hanson wrote:
                              >
                              > > snip..
                              > >
                              > > It would also be nice if someone involved would set up a real message
                              > > board, rather than a simple yahoo group.

                              No NEVER! NoteTab is a text editor. YahooGroup mail lists allow me to
                              receive everything in plain text too! Entirely appropriate!

                              Message Boards on web sites tend to become full of hideous graphical
                              clutter, are unusable if you are connecting via a mobile phone at 9.6kbps,
                              rather than the luxury of broadband, which I don't have even when connected
                              via land line.

                              YahooGroup mail lists, especially when set up like this one (attachments
                              banned - so I don't get all that HTML garbage) and with my personal setting
                              of "Do not convert to HTML" (so I'm not even forced to get graphical adverts
                              added back onto the plain text messages the list naturally provides) are
                              ideal. The prospect of a Web-based message board appals! For those that
                              like web-based message boards surely there's the web interface at
                              YahooGroups to do the job?

                              I've set replies to go to the Off-topic list, but I fancy YahooGroups strips
                              that instruction out - but please reply to the off-topic list anyway! (I'm
                              sure Jody would appreciate it!)

                              Greg
                            • prog@lomascentral.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 30, 2005
                                I really hope this doesn't happen!

                                This group is convenient it delivers the messages to my inbox, I can
                                delete the ones I'm not interested in bulk and see at a glance what's there.

                                If it moves to a web based message board I have to go to the trouble of
                                figure out if there;s anything I'm interested in ....

                                These messages I scan daily, web based boards I'd probably not get round
                                to looking at, they're a pain, inefficient (as far as my time is
                                concerned) and get on my nerves.

                                They also have a habit of being poorly designed and inefficient to use
                                if I do make the effort of looking. They're designed (by the look of it,
                                probably not all but most of the ones I've seen) by those who are more
                                interested in look and feel than ease of use..

                                As you may have figured out by this stage, I don;t like them :-)

                                Tim

                                David R. Hanson wrote:
                                > It would also be nice if someone involved would set up a real message
                                > board, rather than a simple yahoo group.
                              • Lee Underwood
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 30, 2005
                                  Tim,

                                  I agree. I have inadvertently learn a great deal about NoteTab and clips by
                                  way of this list. A message board just doesn't give the options as you
                                  described them. Sometimes simple things work much better.

                                  Lee

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 31, 2005
                                    Hi Greg,

                                    I don't know what message boards you've frequented in the past, but
                                    they must have been poorly run. The worries you share (bloated
                                    graphics, ads, etc.) are easily surmountable.

                                    As it stands, there is no efficient way to see what different topics
                                    have been posted, or to follow a thread, or to send private messages,
                                    or to cooperatively build FAQs, or do see if other questions have been
                                    asked and answered. A respectable discussion board would do all of
                                    this and more. Indeed, if you don't like ads and bloat, you should
                                    FAVOR such a change, since currently, we have to put up with whatever
                                    overhead and bloat that yahoo wants to send our way.

                                    (Alas, none of the replies on this subject have been transferred to
                                    OT...in any case, it doesn't seem OT to me?)

                                    Any other updates on development timetables? I love this product, and
                                    would gladly spread the word and push for its adoption by others if
                                    it was clear it was still actively pursued by its able authors...

                                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Chapman" <greg@e...> wrote:
                                    > Hi Jody,
                                    >
                                    > > Amen!
                                    > >
                                    > > Regards, John M
                                    > >
                                    > > David R. Hanson wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > > snip..
                                    > > >
                                    > > > It would also be nice if someone involved would set up a real
                                    message
                                    > > > board, rather than a simple yahoo group.
                                    >
                                    > No NEVER! NoteTab is a text editor. YahooGroup mail lists allow me to
                                    > receive everything in plain text too! Entirely appropriate!
                                    >
                                    > Message Boards on web sites tend to become full of hideous graphical
                                    > clutter, are unusable if you are connecting via a mobile phone at
                                    9.6kbps,
                                    > rather than the luxury of broadband, which I don't have even when
                                    connected
                                    > via land line.
                                    >
                                    > YahooGroup mail lists, especially when set up like this one (attachments
                                    > banned - so I don't get all that HTML garbage) and with my personal
                                    setting
                                    > of "Do not convert to HTML" (so I'm not even forced to get graphical
                                    adverts
                                    > added back onto the plain text messages the list naturally provides) are
                                    > ideal. The prospect of a Web-based message board appals! For those
                                    that
                                    > like web-based message boards surely there's the web interface at
                                    > YahooGroups to do the job?
                                    >
                                    > I've set replies to go to the Off-topic list, but I fancy
                                    YahooGroups strips
                                    > that instruction out - but please reply to the off-topic list
                                    anyway! (I'm
                                    > sure Jody would appreciate it!)
                                    >
                                    > Greg
                                  • Greg Chapman
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 1, 2005
                                      Hi Dave,

                                      > (Alas, none of the replies on this subject have been transferred to
                                      > OT...in any case, it doesn't seem OT to me?)

                                      Well, it's not "basic use of NoteTab" so I've replied on the off-topic list!

                                      Greg
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Sep 15, 2005
                                        Hi David, Greg, John, and anybody else reading...

                                        The forum vs yahoogroups topic needs to go to the off topic list
                                        after this which I copied this reply. (Oh, I see you did bring it
                                        over there after all. I'm still cleaning out many hundreds of
                                        messages in my inbox (private, not support) from my 3 week
                                        vacation.)

                                        >Any updates? I've been very happy with NP pro for years, but no
                                        >updates in 2+ years isn't a good sign...

                                        It isn't a bad sign either; the answer is still the same as
                                        below. I can assure you that someday we will indeed upgrade
                                        NoteTab. It was still voted People's Choice again at the SIC
                                        awards convention for shareware for some 7-8 years now only
                                        missing one year in a row. Fookes Software is Eric Fookes and
                                        myself. Eric does what he needs to do for the company, his
                                        livelihood, family time, etc. Unfortunately, only so much can be
                                        done, but we will eventually get to NoteTab.

                                        >It would also be nice if someone involved would set up a real
                                        >message board, rather than a simple yahoo group.

                                        I don't mean to sound to cold and rude below, but want to make my
                                        point/stance on the issue perfectly clear! :-)

                                        Sorry, but that is out of the question - it will not happen.
                                        Yahoogroups has served us well, has enough features, etc. Sure,
                                        it could be better, more sophisticated and so on, but the way it
                                        is has served us well for many years. Most forums do not have
                                        eMail delivery either, are much slower to use for me anyway, and
                                        until discussion mailing list are phased out (if ever), a forum
                                        would be the very last thing I would resort to. I would probably
                                        spend a few thousand $$$ on my own mail server and account, etc.
                                        before using a forum for the lists.

                                        >>> Hi, I've been using NoteTab light for a while, and have
                                        >>> managed to get my boss to consider purchasing it for our PC
                                        >>> Support team, the only question is, is it still under active
                                        >>> development? Seems like a long time since 4.95.
                                        >>
                                        >> Yes, it is, although we have not been able to get back to
                                        >> upgrading it as soon as we had hoped for. Be assured that it is
                                        >> not abandoned though.

                                        Happy Tab'n,