Re: [NTB] DOS program which utilises lines

  • Eric G.V. Fookes
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 28, 2002
      Hello Mike,

      >I have an ANSI file produced from a DOS program which utilises lines to
      >crate bozes etc. They work fine in edit (under DOS) but as soon as I goto
      >Notetab, either ASCII or ANSI all the formatting is lost.

      Converting the ASCII document to ANSI is not enough. You also need to
      choose a font for the document that contains the DOS "graphic" characters.

      Regards,
      Eric G.V. Fookes

    • Mike Smith
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 28, 2002
        Looking at the fonts there are only five listed, none of which produce the same DOS result. Can I add further fonts to NoteTab (as it doesnt seem to list all those in windows) and if so which ones might provide the extended character set support??

        Cheers

        mike

        Eric G.V. Fookes said on 2002-03-28:

        >Hello Mike,
        >
        >>I have an ANSI file produced from a DOS program which utilises lines to
        >>crate bozes etc. They work fine in edit (under DOS) but as soon as I goto
        >>Notetab, either ASCII or ANSI all the formatting is lost.
        >
        >Converting the ASCII document to ANSI is not enough. You also need to
        >choose a font for the document that contains the DOS "graphic" characters.
        >

        >Regards,
        >Eric G.V. Fookes
        >Author of NoteTab, Mailbag Assistant, and Album Express
        >http://www.fookes.com/ and http://www.notetab.com/

      • Eric G.V. Fookes
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 28, 2002
          Hi Mike,

          >Looking at the fonts there are only five listed, none of which produce the
          >same DOS result. Can I add further fonts to NoteTab (as it doesnt seem to
          >list all those in windows) and if so which ones might provide the extended
          >character set support??

          That's correct if you are using NoteTab Pro. Microsoft does not supply (at
          least not "free" with Windows) monospaced fonts with support for line and
          box symbols. In this case, you will have to use NoteTab Light to access all
          available fonts.

          Regards,
          Eric G.V. Fookes

        • Mike Smith
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 28, 2002
            Thanks for the info. I did a little digging on the internet and came across a *free* monospaced font with support for line drawing. Can be downloaded at:

            ftp.seagate.com/techsuppt/letgothl.zip

            Not wishing to mention a "competitor" but TextPad lets you select a font for both screen and/or printer. Does Std to this??

            Cheers

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 30, 2002
              Hi Mike,

              >Thanks for the info. I did a little digging on the internet and came
              >across a *free* monospaced font with support for line drawing. Can be
              >downloaded at:
              >
              >ftp.seagate.com/techsuppt/letgothl.zip

              Excellent!

              >Not wishing to mention a "competitor" but TextPad lets you select a font
              >for both screen and/or printer. Does Std to this??

              Yes, absolutely. See the Print dialog box (Font tab). Either set the font
              through the View/Printing Options menu command, or set the font each time
              you invoke the Print command.

              Regards,
              Eric G.V. Fookes

            • Mike Smith
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 1, 2002
                Is there a reason why Pro doesn't ??

                Eric G.V. Fookes said on 2002-03-30:

                >Hi Mike,
                >
                >>Thanks for the info. I did a little digging on the internet and came
                >>across a *free* monospaced font with support for line drawing. Can be
                >>downloaded at:
                >>
                >>ftp.seagate.com/techsuppt/letgothl.zip
                >
                >Excellent!
                >
                >>Not wishing to mention a "competitor" but TextPad lets you select a font
                >>for both screen and/or printer. Does Std to this??
                >
                >Yes, absolutely. See the Print dialog box (Font tab). Either set the font
                >through the View/Printing Options menu command, or set the font each time
                >you invoke the Print command.
                >

                >Regards,
                >Eric G.V. Fookes
                >Author of NoteTab, Mailbag Assistant, and Album Express
                >http://www.fookes.com/ and http://www.notetab.com/

              • thebrowns
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 1, 2002
                  The font, Terminal, which is standard Windows 9x, ME, etc. supports the line drawing or box characters, too.

                  Greg

                • future.com@vsnl.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 1, 2002
                    Hi,

                    Is there anybody who has an idea and can suggest how can I extract email
                    addresses only from a huge document of mine which in in .txt format ?

                    Any help will be highly appreciated.

                    Thanks

                    S Agrawal

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 1, 2002
                      Hi S Agrawal,

                      >Is there anybody who has an idea and can suggest how can I
                      >extract email addresses only from a huge document of mine which
                      >in in .txt format ?
                      >
                      >Any help will be highly appreciated.

                      The easiest route is to use Fookes Software, MailBag Assistant:

                      http://www.fookes.com/mailbag

                      I have a Clip that does what you want on my Libraries page I
                      believe or perhaps Snatch-A-Clip. I do not have the time to hunt
                      it/them down right now, but you should be able to find it/them.
                      http://www.notetab.net

                      Happy Clip'n!

                      Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                    • Eric G.V. Fookes
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 2, 2002
                        Hi Mike,

                        >Is there a reason why Pro doesn't ??

                        Doesn't what?

                        --Eric

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 2, 2002
                          Hi Mike,

                          NoteTab Pro and NoteTab Standard/Light use a different input
                          control (see Help NoteTab Glossary). Pro uses a third party
                          control which has some advantages over Windows Rich Edit Control
                          that Std/Light use. Also see the hyperlinks: Font, etc. You can
                          find some information in Frequently Asked Questions in Help
                          (NoteTab Pro: where have all my fonts gone?).

                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 2, 2002
                            Hi Mike,

                            (I changed and added more information; sorry for my briefness earlier.)

                            NoteTab Pro uses a third party input control which has some
                            advantages over Windows Rich Edit Control (riched32.dll, version
                            one) that Std/Light use, but also has a few disadvantages. In v5
                            of NoteTab Eric will be using the same input control for
                            Pro/Std/Light, so input control will not be an issue then.