Re: [NTB] icon question

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 8, 2002
      Hi Matt, Alec, Jody, and Brian:

      On my computer, the NoteTab icon has recently also been hijacked by the
      NotePad icon, therefore I have been following this thread closely. This is
      new behavior. For years, the Swiss flag has been associated with all my new
      TXT and LOG files.

      In Win98 Explorer, View | Folder Options | File Types, TXT
      and LOG extensions are listed as associated with NTPro. The icon, however,
      is the Windows Start flag on a white background. I can click the Change
      Icon button and restore the Swiss flag icon and it DOES appear to have been
      changed while I am viewing the Registered File Types in the File Types
      screen. If I close the File Types screen and re-open it, the same windows
      flag on a white background will reappear for the NTPro icon.

      I tried rebooting after making the icon change, but it was no help. All the
      new files I create using NTPro have the NotePad icon. Older files that
      were created by NTPro are still showing the Swiss flag icon.

      Another strange condition is that the NotePad icon that keeps associating
      with my TXT and LOG files does NOT appear among the icons shown in the
      File Types screen. IOW, the offending icon is not associated with any
      registered type. Also, there is no entry on the File Types screen for
      NotePad.

      Following Jody's advice, in NTPro View | Options I removed and then re-added
      TXT and LOG in the Associated File Extensions on the Associations tab. And I
      rebooted.
      Still no help.

      I wondered whether the problem is caused by multiple associations for TXT
      and LOG, therefore, I tried to associate TXT with yet another file type, but
      the Add New File Type screen wouldn't permit it. Instead, I got an error
      screen that said ".txt" is already in use by file type "NoHands.Document.1".
      What does THAT mean????

      Is there any way to see a listing of all extensions that have associations?
      The File Types screen shows extensions for each registered file type, but it
      does so one type at a time.

      Sorry for such a long message, but this is maddening!

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ
    • Brian Binder
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 8, 2002
        IMO the next step to take would be to go back to the File Types location you were just in and delete the .txt file type.

        Then reboot.

        Then run Notetab and re-associate them with the .txt entension.

        This should show again in the File Types location. Else manually add it and choose Notetab to open the file type.

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705007389:HM/A=847665/R=0/*http://ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vbW9uc3RlcjcuZGF0=1015618890%3eM=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705007389:HM/A=847665/R=1>
        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupmail/S=1705007389:HM/A=847665/rand=902024406>

      • Matt Clark
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 8, 2002
          Brian,

          Many thanks for your prompt response. I'll let you know how
          things go when I've had a chance to follow your directions.

          For what it's worth, the main icon I used to get with Note Tab
          Lite was the Swiss flag. On occasion, however, this would be
          superimposed on a blank page icon, which I think you mention.
          What I'm getting now is the Note Pad icon, which is like a
          miniature manuscript page.

          Thanks again.

          Matt Clark
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 8, 2002
            Hi Ray and Others,

            >On my computer, the NoteTab icon has recently also been hijacked
            >by the NotePad icon,

            If you already have txt (or other extensions) in Options |
            Associations, click on it and then choose Remove. Click OK so
            that the registry gets updated and then reopen Options |
            Associations. Add "txt" w/o the quotes. You may have to reboot
            Windows for the icon to change depending on OS and resources.

            Make sure you click OK between Remove and Add. You may have to
            go into your registry to fix your problem Ray. Other than that,
            can we bring this thread over to off topic list please. Please
            see my signature line to subscribe to it. TIA All the "standard"
            procedures have been mentioned already.

            Happy Topics,
            Jody

            The NoteTab Off-Topic List
          • Dick Gascoigne
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 10, 2002
              Jody opined:
              > bring this thread over to off topic list please.
              > All the "standard" procedures have been mentioned already.

              But even "non-standard" procedures are on-topic, eh?

              Frankly, I take the direct approach (cheat). I just go into the registry
              and replace all data references to Notepad with the path to NoteTab. There
              is nothing that Notepad used to handle that I wouldn't want to handle with
              NoteTab instead.

              You can either just open the registry and search on "Notepad" and replace
              each, or use a registry editor to do a mass search & replace. (I suggest
              one by one.) As always, it is a very good idea to back up your registry
              first! (But "real programmers" don't do backups. :-0 )

              There are a lot of entries in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES. For
              some, you just replace the program name, for others use the path to NoteTab.

              C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\notepro.exe "%1"

              Best Regards,

              Dick Gascoigne
              --
              Appic (S) Pte Ltd
              74A Amoy Street; Singapore 069893
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 10, 2002
                Hi Dick and Others,

                >Jody opined:
                >> bring this thread over to off topic list please.
                >> All the "standard" procedures have been mentioned already.
                >
                >But even "non-standard" procedures are on-topic, eh?

                I see I worded my sentence wrong. ;) Thanks for your input, but
                please take the thread to the Off Topic List or to private eMail.
                Editing the registry and other methods mentioned are far beyond
                the basic use of NoteTab. Furthermore, the problem is a very
                isolated issue as well and most likely a problem with the one
                computer in question.

                Happy Topics,
                Jody

                The NoteTab Off-Topic List