RE: [NTB] icon question

  • Brian Binder
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 8, 2002
      Hi all!

      One thing I can think of for this is as follows:

      I can tell you that if you ever used a different text editor initially, and it had hold of the default .txt icon, sometimes the reference isn't removed from the registry.

      Doing this will assign NoteTab the text icon with the small Notetab icon inside of a white piece of paper.

      There's ways of getting rid of this OR adding it to your default configuration. The directions will be weighed on which OS you are currently running at this point.

      If we are both thinking of the same icon, it is NOT listed in the program under the Options portion, where it allows you to change the default icon. The one you are speaking of is assigned by Windows in certain occasions.

      One way to change it in Windows 98 is by going to an open folder and choosing View-->Options-->File Types. In Windows 2000 - XP, it is Tools-->Folder Options-->File Types

      Scroll down to where you see the txt extension and select "Advanced".

      In here, it will tell you what the default program for opening text files is, and at the top of the screen, it will show you what the default icon is and give you the options of changing it.

      Change it by browsing to this folder and exe file: C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe

      Open that and you'll see the icon set for NoteTab Pro, where you will fine the icon you are talking about.

      Select that icon and Windows should be rebooted afterwards. This is to ensure that the ShellIconCache is flushed and updated correctly.

      If you are using TweakUI, you can do it on-the-fly in that program. Now the .txt icons should be the ones that you changed it to.

      Let me know how this works out for you, or if you need further instruction.

      Brian

    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 8, 2002
        Hi Matt, Alec, Jody, and Brian:

        On my computer, the NoteTab icon has recently also been hijacked by the
        NotePad icon, therefore I have been following this thread closely. This is
        new behavior. For years, the Swiss flag has been associated with all my new
        TXT and LOG files.

        In Win98 Explorer, View | Folder Options | File Types, TXT
        and LOG extensions are listed as associated with NTPro. The icon, however,
        is the Windows Start flag on a white background. I can click the Change
        Icon button and restore the Swiss flag icon and it DOES appear to have been
        changed while I am viewing the Registered File Types in the File Types
        screen. If I close the File Types screen and re-open it, the same windows
        flag on a white background will reappear for the NTPro icon.

        I tried rebooting after making the icon change, but it was no help. All the
        new files I create using NTPro have the NotePad icon. Older files that
        were created by NTPro are still showing the Swiss flag icon.

        Another strange condition is that the NotePad icon that keeps associating
        with my TXT and LOG files does NOT appear among the icons shown in the
        File Types screen. IOW, the offending icon is not associated with any
        registered type. Also, there is no entry on the File Types screen for
        NotePad.

        Following Jody's advice, in NTPro View | Options I removed and then re-added
        TXT and LOG in the Associated File Extensions on the Associations tab. And I
        rebooted.
        Still no help.

        I wondered whether the problem is caused by multiple associations for TXT
        and LOG, therefore, I tried to associate TXT with yet another file type, but
        the Add New File Type screen wouldn't permit it. Instead, I got an error
        screen that said ".txt" is already in use by file type "NoHands.Document.1".
        What does THAT mean????

        Is there any way to see a listing of all extensions that have associations?
        The File Types screen shows extensions for each registered file type, but it
        does so one type at a time.

        Sorry for such a long message, but this is maddening!

        Ray Shapp
        Watchung, NJ
      • Brian Binder
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 8, 2002
          IMO the next step to take would be to go back to the File Types location you were just in and delete the .txt file type.

          Then reboot.

          Then run Notetab and re-associate them with the .txt entension.

          This should show again in the File Types location. Else manually add it and choose Notetab to open the file type.

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705007389:HM/A=847665/R=0/*http://ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vbW9uc3RlcjcuZGF0=1015618890%3eM=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705007389:HM/A=847665/R=1>
          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupmail/S=1705007389:HM/A=847665/rand=902024406>

        • Matt Clark
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 8, 2002
            Brian,

            Many thanks for your prompt response. I'll let you know how
            things go when I've had a chance to follow your directions.

            For what it's worth, the main icon I used to get with Note Tab
            Lite was the Swiss flag. On occasion, however, this would be
            superimposed on a blank page icon, which I think you mention.
            What I'm getting now is the Note Pad icon, which is like a
            miniature manuscript page.

            Thanks again.

            Matt Clark
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 8, 2002
              Hi Ray and Others,

              >On my computer, the NoteTab icon has recently also been hijacked
              >by the NotePad icon,

              If you already have txt (or other extensions) in Options |
              Associations, click on it and then choose Remove. Click OK so
              that the registry gets updated and then reopen Options |
              Associations. Add "txt" w/o the quotes. You may have to reboot
              Windows for the icon to change depending on OS and resources.

              Make sure you click OK between Remove and Add. You may have to
              go into your registry to fix your problem Ray. Other than that,
              can we bring this thread over to off topic list please. Please
              see my signature line to subscribe to it. TIA All the "standard"
              procedures have been mentioned already.

              Happy Topics,
              Jody

              The NoteTab Off-Topic List
            • Dick Gascoigne
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 10, 2002
                Jody opined:
                > bring this thread over to off topic list please.
                > All the "standard" procedures have been mentioned already.

                But even "non-standard" procedures are on-topic, eh?

                Frankly, I take the direct approach (cheat). I just go into the registry
                and replace all data references to Notepad with the path to NoteTab. There
                is nothing that Notepad used to handle that I wouldn't want to handle with
                NoteTab instead.

                You can either just open the registry and search on "Notepad" and replace
                each, or use a registry editor to do a mass search & replace. (I suggest
                one by one.) As always, it is a very good idea to back up your registry
                first! (But "real programmers" don't do backups. :-0 )

                There are a lot of entries in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES. For
                some, you just replace the program name, for others use the path to NoteTab.

                C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\notepro.exe "%1"

                Best Regards,

                Dick Gascoigne
                --
                Appic (S) Pte Ltd
                74A Amoy Street; Singapore 069893
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 10, 2002
                  Hi Dick and Others,

                  >Jody opined:
                  >> bring this thread over to off topic list please.
                  >> All the "standard" procedures have been mentioned already.
                  >
                  >But even "non-standard" procedures are on-topic, eh?

                  I see I worded my sentence wrong. ;) Thanks for your input, but
                  please take the thread to the Off Topic List or to private eMail.
                  Editing the registry and other methods mentioned are far beyond
                  the basic use of NoteTab. Furthermore, the problem is a very
                  isolated issue as well and most likely a problem with the one
                  computer in question.

                  Happy Topics,
                  Jody

                  The NoteTab Off-Topic List