icon question

  • Matt Clark
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 7, 2002
      I just installed the latest version of NoteTab Lite. I notice
      that the icons on txt files no longer have the red and white
      cross Note Tab icon, but the icon of a Note Pad file. Why is
      this?

      Thanks.

      Matt Clark
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 7, 2002
        Hi Matt,

        NoteTab backs up the last used associations in the registry so
        when you uninstall your old associations are restored. Sometimes
        other programs will steal file associations with or without your
        permission. To set it so NoteTab is associated with the file
        types you want go into Options and Add them under the
        Associations tab.

        >I just installed the latest version of NoteTab Lite. I notice
        >that the icons on txt files no longer have the red and white
        >cross Note Tab icon, but the icon of a Note Pad file. Why is
        >this?
        >
        >Thanks.
        >
        >Matt Clark

      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 7, 2002
          Matt:
          > I just installed the latest version of NoteTab Lite. I notice
          > that the icons on txt files no longer have the red and white
          > cross Note Tab icon, but the icon of a Note Pad file. Why is
          > this?

          View | Options | View | Application Icon | Change Icon allows
          you to cycle through the four or five icons associated with Notetab.

          You must have also made a change to associate text files with Notetab
          instead of Notepad. You could also use the Help | Replace MS Notepad
          option and leave txt files associated with Notepad but opened by
          Notetab instead (easy on Win9x|ME systems - more difficult on Win2K|XP
          systems). Ie - they would have the normal windows text file icon
          but get opened by Notetab when you click on them.

          Regards ... Alec
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 8, 2002
              Hi Matt, Alec, Jody, and Brian:

              On my computer, the NoteTab icon has recently also been hijacked by the
              NotePad icon, therefore I have been following this thread closely. This is
              new behavior. For years, the Swiss flag has been associated with all my new
              TXT and LOG files.

              In Win98 Explorer, View | Folder Options | File Types, TXT
              and LOG extensions are listed as associated with NTPro. The icon, however,
              is the Windows Start flag on a white background. I can click the Change
              Icon button and restore the Swiss flag icon and it DOES appear to have been
              changed while I am viewing the Registered File Types in the File Types
              screen. If I close the File Types screen and re-open it, the same windows
              flag on a white background will reappear for the NTPro icon.

              I tried rebooting after making the icon change, but it was no help. All the
              new files I create using NTPro have the NotePad icon. Older files that
              were created by NTPro are still showing the Swiss flag icon.

              Another strange condition is that the NotePad icon that keeps associating
              with my TXT and LOG files does NOT appear among the icons shown in the
              File Types screen. IOW, the offending icon is not associated with any
              registered type. Also, there is no entry on the File Types screen for
              NotePad.

              Following Jody's advice, in NTPro View | Options I removed and then re-added
              TXT and LOG in the Associated File Extensions on the Associations tab. And I
              rebooted.
              Still no help.

              I wondered whether the problem is caused by multiple associations for TXT
              and LOG, therefore, I tried to associate TXT with yet another file type, but
              the Add New File Type screen wouldn't permit it. Instead, I got an error
              screen that said ".txt" is already in use by file type "NoHands.Document.1".
              What does THAT mean????

              Is there any way to see a listing of all extensions that have associations?
              The File Types screen shows extensions for each registered file type, but it
              does so one type at a time.

              Sorry for such a long message, but this is maddening!

              Ray Shapp
              Watchung, NJ
            • Brian Binder
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 8, 2002
                IMO the next step to take would be to go back to the File Types location you were just in and delete the .txt file type.

                Then reboot.

                Then run Notetab and re-associate them with the .txt entension.

                This should show again in the File Types location. Else manually add it and choose Notetab to open the file type.

[...]

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705007389:HM/A=847665/R=0/*http://ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vbW9uc3RlcjcuZGF0=1015618890%3eM=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705007389:HM/A=847665/R=1>
                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupmail/S=1705007389:HM/A=847665/rand=902024406>

              • Matt Clark
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 8, 2002
                  Brian,

                  Many thanks for your prompt response. I'll let you know how
                  things go when I've had a chance to follow your directions.

                  For what it's worth, the main icon I used to get with Note Tab
                  Lite was the Swiss flag. On occasion, however, this would be
                  superimposed on a blank page icon, which I think you mention.
                  What I'm getting now is the Note Pad icon, which is like a
                  miniature manuscript page.

                  Thanks again.

                  Matt Clark
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 8, 2002
                    Hi Ray and Others,

                    >On my computer, the NoteTab icon has recently also been hijacked
                    >by the NotePad icon,

                    If you already have txt (or other extensions) in Options |
                    Associations, click on it and then choose Remove. Click OK so
                    that the registry gets updated and then reopen Options |
                    Associations. Add "txt" w/o the quotes. You may have to reboot
                    Windows for the icon to change depending on OS and resources.

                    Make sure you click OK between Remove and Add. You may have to
                    go into your registry to fix your problem Ray. Other than that,
                    can we bring this thread over to off topic list please. Please
                    see my signature line to subscribe to it. TIA All the "standard"
                    procedures have been mentioned already.

                    Happy Topics,
                    Jody

                    The NoteTab Off-Topic List
                  • Dick Gascoigne
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 10, 2002
                      Jody opined:
                      > bring this thread over to off topic list please.
                      > All the "standard" procedures have been mentioned already.

                      But even "non-standard" procedures are on-topic, eh?

                      Frankly, I take the direct approach (cheat). I just go into the registry
                      and replace all data references to Notepad with the path to NoteTab. There
                      is nothing that Notepad used to handle that I wouldn't want to handle with
                      NoteTab instead.

                      You can either just open the registry and search on "Notepad" and replace
                      each, or use a registry editor to do a mass search & replace. (I suggest
                      one by one.) As always, it is a very good idea to back up your registry
                      first! (But "real programmers" don't do backups. :-0 )

                      There are a lot of entries in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES. For
                      some, you just replace the program name, for others use the path to NoteTab.

                      C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\notepro.exe "%1"

                      Best Regards,

                      Dick Gascoigne
                      --
                      Appic (S) Pte Ltd
                      74A Amoy Street; Singapore 069893
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 10, 2002
                        Hi Dick and Others,

                        >Jody opined:
                        >> bring this thread over to off topic list please.
                        >> All the "standard" procedures have been mentioned already.
                        >
                        >But even "non-standard" procedures are on-topic, eh?

                        I see I worded my sentence wrong. ;) Thanks for your input, but
                        please take the thread to the Off Topic List or to private eMail.
                        Editing the registry and other methods mentioned are far beyond
                        the basic use of NoteTab. Furthermore, the problem is a very
                        isolated issue as well and most likely a problem with the one
                        computer in question.

                        Happy Topics,
                        Jody

                        The NoteTab Off-Topic List