Re: [NTB] Clips

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 1, 2002
      On 3/1/02 1:25 PM, Brian Binder wrote:

      >Thanx for the reply.
      >
      >I see what you mean about the clip being not embedded into documents, but then what is the point of the clip?
      >
      >I just want to make sure that I understand them. I can look at the "Utilities" on the bottom of the screen. Those are examples of Clips, right?
      >
      >Now if I look at Windows Utilities and double-click "Explorer", explorer launches on my system. Is that the point, or is it supposed to be put somewhere in the document. Is it a shortcut instead of actually navigating to Explorer? That's what I mean.
      >

      >Brian

      Hi Brian,

      Let me try to add to the others, it may help. If you've been around
      long enough to have used batch files or have programmed a key sequence
      in a software product you have a small idea of Clips(Clip Language).

      Clips are like batch files and keyboard macros on steroids.

      Below is an instructional website authored by some of the list members,
      could be very helpful, and 2 other lists you might consider joining.
      There is a ClipClass.clb, clipbook file, containing about a dozens
      lessons, I think, you should download it but I don't have the location
      of it. I'm sure one of the other listmembers would be happy to furnish
      the address.

      http://www.bestfoot.com/notetab/html/

      ntb-Clips-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      ntb-ClipClass-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      I'll try to answer a couple of the questions and comments above. This
      is an attempt to help make things a little clearer.

      To begin, the comment about clips or clip commands being embedded,
      No, I think, for the most part they aren't embedded but, they can be. A
      file with clip commands embedded is more rightly called a *template. *
      When a template is loaded the clip commands activate to transform the
      file into a finished product.

      As an example, I use a template to maintain and add pages to a website I
      look after. After I enter the available info into a clip, the clip loads
      the template and furnishes the information in %variable% form to
      retrieve jpg's(pictures) I have prepositioned and named in sequence, it
      also checks the dimensions of each jpg prior to loading so they will
      display in the proper size and orientation, landscape or portrait
      orientation, and adds the filename and dimensions to the appropriate
      place in the html template. As if by magic, in about a second and a
      half I have a completed webpage.

      The point of clips is to do repetitive jobs easily and automatically.
      To name a few, you can manipulate text, build html pages, get
      directories listings, change file attributes, rename, move and delete
      files. I haven't actually run across anything I've decided to try that
      I can't do with NoteTab.

      The Utilities at the bottom of the edit window are clipbook tabs, when
      you click on one a vertical window should open on the left side of the
      screen. Each entry in that vertical list is a clip with each one
      designed for a different job.

      To sum up, start with the Clipclass and ask questions, eventually you'll
      come up with your own ways of using Clips.

      hrs
    • Brian Binder
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 1, 2002
        This absolutely helps me out a great deal. I have read a few of the web sites, but sometimes I need it broken down step by step or need a specific question answered.

        You guys did a great job and I thank all of you who helped me out with this.

        Brian Binder

        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 1, 2002
          Hi Brian, Harvey, Jim, and Others,

          Thanks for the mention of my ClipClass and my NoteTabbers
          Assistant pages at http://www.notetab.net (I will update the
          initial part of the class to mention some of your stuff Jim since
          you say the same thing, but in a different way ;) - TIA.)

          >This absolutely helps me out a great deal. I have read a few of
          >the web sites, but sometimes I need it broken down step by step
          >or need a specific question answered.

          The class starts off very basic with step by step help, has some
          screen shots, and builds after that in each lesson. Please do
          not do any Clip discussion or Clip posting to this list which is
          reserved for the very basic use of NoteTab. (The discussion of
          Clips in a basic and general way like has been done so far on
          this list, The NoteTab Basic List, is fine, just no Clip code
          posted please.)

          You can download my Clip Class from the following link and it
          will walk you through, Getting Started (which is a web page with
          a number of images displaying different parts of NoteTab that
          deals with Clipbooks), making a Library, adding Clips, and
          editing Clips, on to more difficult Clips. Be sure to read the
          Introduction also. Open ClipClass.clb and then click on the
          ClipClass Outline Clip to open the Outline.

          All the contents of the zip files go in NoteTab's Libraries folder.
          http://www.notetab.net/clipclass/clipclass.zip

          The NoteTab ClipClass List
          mailto:ntb-ClipClass-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          You can also sign up for the Clips list to get answers to Clip
          questions, but please do not post questions there concerning the
          class, but rather the ClipClass list mentioned above and in the
          in the ClipClass Outline. NoteTab Clips Subscribe & Edit Options:

          http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips

        • Brian Binder
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 1, 2002
            That was huge everyone. I am not on my way to understanding the power of the "clips" through this program. With features such as this, I don't see how any other text editor can compare.

            I am so bold as to say that I like this MUCH more than any Micro$oft-based text editor, including Word. Even though there are features it has that NoteTab doesn't, I like stability rather than the dazzling effects that Micro$oft tried to present in their products.

            Notetab has too many things to list that are handy for me, and with the introduction to clips that people helped me out with - that just makes this program that much sweeter.

            I must say again, to ALL of you who helped me out with the questions that I had on this subject, THANK YOU! It is very much appreciated.

            Sincerely,

            Brian Binder

            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 16, 2004
              Hi kuutamo,

              At 11:03 AM 3/16/04 -0000, you wrote:
              >Is here clipfiles area?

              You can subscribe by sending an empty post to:

              The NoteTab Clips List............ ntb-Clips-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

              Message from Jody Adair to another listmember on the "Basic"
              List dated January 24,2004

              If you sign up for any of the discussion lists, please do *not*
              post questions about Clips and other scripting languages on the
              Basic list. More difficult tasks should be posted on the Clips or
              Scripts lists. HTML should be posted on the HTML list and Off
              Topic discussion takes place on that list. Easy Thumbnails, Easy
              Imager, and Album Express list are for discussion of those
              programs. The most important thing to remember is please leave
              the Basic list for the *very basic* use of NoteTab. The other
              lists are a lot more flexible for instance Clips can be/and are
              welcomed on the HTML list. Thanks!!!

              http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

              The NoteTabbers Assistant Page (Useful Libraries and Clips for
              NoteTab, an excellent text and HTML editor): http://www.notetab.net

              END OF JODY'S MESSAGE:

              NoteTab's Clipbook libraries are located at:

              http://www.notetab.com/libraries.php

              Regards,

              Larry
              lrt@... e¿ê