RE: [NTB] Clips

  • Brian Binder
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 1, 2002
      Thanx for the reply.

      I see what you mean about the clip being not embedded into documents, but then what is the point of the clip?

      I just want to make sure that I understand them. I can look at the "Utilities" on the bottom of the screen. Those are examples of Clips, right?

      Now if I look at Windows Utilities and double-click "Explorer", explorer launches on my system. Is that the point, or is it supposed to be put somewhere in the document. Is it a shortcut instead of actually navigating to Explorer? That's what I mean.

      You can use the clips on the "Clip Assistant" to perform tasks, right? For example...I can go to "Specific Commands", then "Email"

      It comes up with a dialog box...I fill in the blanks and when I am done, I get this in my document:

      !Email bbinder@...;Testing;+

      That is the point of that? How do I use that clip to do anything? Should it have automatically mailed? Is it for use in an HTML file to act as a link to mail me something? That's what I am getting confused on.

      Sorry for the hassle on this; I'm just trying to understand them better. I feel at a disadvantage at this point for not using them.

      Brian

      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 1, 2002
        Hello brian.. I am a web developer and I use clips to automate my code building. I have all sorts of clips that help me code. That is one intention of a 'clip'. It is basically just a macro that you build to help you accomplish a task, whatever that may be.

        HTH
        Clint

        > I guess the questions is...are they actually incorporated into the
        document you are typing? Maybe by means of copying and pasting, or ???

        > Or are they simply there so you can have them on the side of your screen
        to use as utilities so that you don't have to exit the program while you are
        typing something up?

        I would say the answer is no .... *grin*

        When you make a clip it is saved on your machine as a "utility" macro that
        can be used to do something. There is nothing embedded into your document
        per se. A person receiving the file doesn't get the clip because you used a
        clip to make it.

        This is different, for example, then Microsoft macro's which can be embedded
        in documents ... resulting in a hackers dream ... because when you open the
        file the macro can fire.

        Where you might get confused is that a clip can by typed out and if I give
        you the clip you can copy it to the clipboard and make it into a clip on
        your machine.

        I hope that helps.

        Don

      • Don Passenger
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 1, 2002
          > I see what you mean about the clip being not embedded into documents, but
          then what is the point of the clip?

          Well I quit early on my explanation. The output of the clip can be inserted
          into the document. So if the clip is insert an html link for example, then
          the document recieves the html for a link when executed, but the clip that
          did it isn't inserted, only the output from the clip.
        • Brian Binder
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 1, 2002
            Thank you Clint and Don for the help on this.

            So if i understand rigt, I have to know a little bit about HTML programming, correct?

            If I use the email address, as previously stated, I can reference that to a HTML link and the clip will fill in the blank?

            Like clicking on a web page's "Mail Webmaster" button. This will automatically fill in the text of "bbinder@..." as being the webmaster's email address?

            Is that right? I don't want to sound like a moron, but I don't do a huge amount of programming; but am interested in learning about it as well as how these clips can help me with it.

            Do you guys have any examples you can zip and email to me? I mean like an HTML file that references how you used your clips to do some of your work.

            Even just a test page with a few lines.

            > I see what you mean about the clip being not embedded into documents, but
            then what is the point of the clip?

            Well I quit early on my explanation. The output of the clip can be inserted
            into the document. So if the clip is insert an html link for example, then
            the document recieves the html for a link when executed, but the clip that
            did it isn't inserted, only the output from the clip.

          • Julie G
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 1, 2002
              Hi Brian,

              Clips are a way of automating repetitive tasks and can be used for many,
              many different things. I use clips to
              Format email
              create/edit HTML
              FTP
              format recipes for import into a recipe database
              open a journal and prepare the day's entry for me
              transfer specific files to a floppy/zip disk
              open a wizard that lets me choose the Yahoo group and specific page to open
              for groups I moderate
              Copy/paste/dial phone numbers for pick up reminders for the elementary
              school (if it only would leave a message for me too!)

              and this is just the few I came up with off the top of my head! I tend to
              modify existing clips to my liking, having not yet mastered the more
              complicated clip language.

              The "Clip Class" lessons are ready and waiting for you when you're ready to
              use them ~sez the clip class dropout <G>~.

              Julie

              Brian Binder asked about clips...

              >Then they can launch the clip like a link?
              >
              >I am confused on them, so I thought I would ask. I hope you guys
              >understand what I am talking about. I know that when I type something up,
              >I can use clips to calculate and FTP, and the like.
              >
              >I guess the questions is...are they actually incorporated into the
              >document you are typing? Maybe by means of copying and pasting, or ???
              >
              >Or are they simply there so you can have them on the side of your screen
              >to use as utilities so that you don't have to exit the program while you
              >are typing something up?
              >
              >Any help greatly appreciated.
              >
              >Thanx!
            • Brian Binder
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 1, 2002
                Thanx for the reply.

                Let me ask, when you are using your clips, how exactly are you using them? I know I probably sound totally stupid, but how?

                Are you doing it simply by double-clicking one of them on the side of your page in Notetab, where you have quick access to your clips? Or do you do it in a different fashion?

                Thanx for the response.

                Much appreciated!

                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 1, 2002
                  It varies depending on what I'm doing. Most of the time I don't have the
                  Clipbook open, but use either a ClipBar that contains my most used clips
                  for quick clicking OR use the in-context clipbook by pressing the escape key.

                  Julie

                  Brian Binder wrote:

                  >Thanx for the reply.
                  >
                  >Let me ask, when you are using your clips, how exactly are you using
                  >them? I know I probably sound totally stupid, but how?
                  >
                  >Are you doing it simply by double-clicking one of them on the side of your
                  >page in Notetab, where you have quick access to your clips? Or do you do
                  >it in a different fashion?
                  >
                  >Thanx for the response.
                  >
                  >Much appreciated!

                  __
                  The stuff of Earth competes for the allegiance
                  I owe only to the Giver of all good things
                  - "If I Stand", Rich Mullins
                • Jim Hall
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 1, 2002
                    Brian,

                    At 01:07 PM 3/1/2002 -0600, you wrote:
                    >I understand that there is a section that is based for Clips discusstions
                    >exclusively.
                    >
                    >This question is pretty general, so I wanted to just give it a quick ask.
                    >
                    >I would like to use Clips, as that's what seeme to put your product over
                    >the top compared with other text editors.
                    >
                    >But...are clips to be added to a document or HTML or ??? Do I have to use
                    >a specific document-type to make them work.

                    >Any help greatly appreciated.

                    There are 5 Basic types of Clips and each are used for different things in
                    different ways.

                    You will find a Basic Tutorial you can download at

                    http://www.jimbow.com/

                    Which explains the different types and what they are used for.

                    You can find more info on Clip Writing in the Help Menu and at:

                    http://www.notetab.net/
                    (All kinds of neat goodies)

                    Or by Subscribing to the following:

                    The NoteTab Clips List................. ntb-Clips-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                    The NoteTab ClipsClass List............ ntb-ClipClass-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                    General Info for Newguys:

                    Please note that there are NoteTab lists for various uses of NoteTab and
                    comments and questions should generally be posted to the appropriate list.
                    (Lest one suffer 1000 wet noodle lashings for posting a question to the
                    wrong list)

                    Clips Questions should be posted to the above lists where you will find
                    more help than Carter has little liver pills.

                    Below are all of the NoteTab user lists and you can subscribe to all and
                    can elect to receive individual e-mails, a daily digest, or no mail - web
                    viewing only.

                    I think that you will find all of the lists to be informative and helpful
                    beyond your imagination.

                    http://www.fookes.com
                    http://www.notetab.com
                    http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/notetab
                    http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/ntb-nextrelease
                    http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/ntb-clips
                    http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/ntb-clipclass
                    http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/ntb-html
                    http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/ntb-offtopic
                    http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/ntb-announcements
                    http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/album-express
                    http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/mailbag
                    http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/fs-nextrelease

                    Hope this gives you an idea of what direction to go from here.

                    Regards,

                    Jim

                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 1, 2002
                      Hi Brian,

                      You can double-click on a Clip to execute it or single click if
                      you have the option checked under the Clipbook tab in Options.

                      You can sign up for the Clips list if you would like. Please see
                      my signature line to subscribe to it. If you go to yahoo.groups
                      on the web you can go through the messages to get an idea of how
                      Clips can be used which is a lot of tasks.

                      >Let me ask, when you are using your clips, how exactly are you
                      >using them? I know I probably sound totally stupid, but how?
                      >
                      >Are you doing it simply by double-clicking one of them on the
                      >side of your page in Notetab, where you have quick access to your
                      >clips? Or do you do it in a different fashion?

                      Happy Clip'n!

                      Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                    • hsavage
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 1, 2002
                        On 3/1/02 1:25 PM, Brian Binder wrote:

                        >Thanx for the reply.
                        >
                        >I see what you mean about the clip being not embedded into documents, but then what is the point of the clip?
                        >
                        >I just want to make sure that I understand them. I can look at the "Utilities" on the bottom of the screen. Those are examples of Clips, right?
                        >
                        >Now if I look at Windows Utilities and double-click "Explorer", explorer launches on my system. Is that the point, or is it supposed to be put somewhere in the document. Is it a shortcut instead of actually navigating to Explorer? That's what I mean.
                        >

                        >Brian

                        Hi Brian,

                        Let me try to add to the others, it may help. If you've been around
                        long enough to have used batch files or have programmed a key sequence
                        in a software product you have a small idea of Clips(Clip Language).

                        Clips are like batch files and keyboard macros on steroids.

                        Below is an instructional website authored by some of the list members,
                        could be very helpful, and 2 other lists you might consider joining.
                        There is a ClipClass.clb, clipbook file, containing about a dozens
                        lessons, I think, you should download it but I don't have the location
                        of it. I'm sure one of the other listmembers would be happy to furnish
                        the address.

                        http://www.bestfoot.com/notetab/html/

                        ntb-Clips-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                        ntb-ClipClass-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                        I'll try to answer a couple of the questions and comments above. This
                        is an attempt to help make things a little clearer.

                        To begin, the comment about clips or clip commands being embedded,
                        No, I think, for the most part they aren't embedded but, they can be. A
                        file with clip commands embedded is more rightly called a *template. *
                        When a template is loaded the clip commands activate to transform the
                        file into a finished product.

                        As an example, I use a template to maintain and add pages to a website I
                        look after. After I enter the available info into a clip, the clip loads
                        the template and furnishes the information in %variable% form to
                        retrieve jpg's(pictures) I have prepositioned and named in sequence, it
                        also checks the dimensions of each jpg prior to loading so they will
                        display in the proper size and orientation, landscape or portrait
                        orientation, and adds the filename and dimensions to the appropriate
                        place in the html template. As if by magic, in about a second and a
                        half I have a completed webpage.

                        The point of clips is to do repetitive jobs easily and automatically.
                        To name a few, you can manipulate text, build html pages, get
                        directories listings, change file attributes, rename, move and delete
                        files. I haven't actually run across anything I've decided to try that
                        I can't do with NoteTab.

                        The Utilities at the bottom of the edit window are clipbook tabs, when
                        you click on one a vertical window should open on the left side of the
                        screen. Each entry in that vertical list is a clip with each one
                        designed for a different job.

                        To sum up, start with the Clipclass and ask questions, eventually you'll
                        come up with your own ways of using Clips.

                        hrs
                      • Brian Binder
                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 1, 2002
                          This absolutely helps me out a great deal. I have read a few of the web sites, but sometimes I need it broken down step by step or need a specific question answered.

                          You guys did a great job and I thank all of you who helped me out with this.

                          Brian Binder

                          >I understand that there is a section that is based for Clips discusstions
                          >exclusively.
                          >
                          >This question is pretty general, so I wanted to just give it a quick ask.
                          >
                          >I would like to use Clips, as that's what seeme to put your product over
                          >the top compared with other text editors.
                          >
                          >But...are clips to be added to a document or HTML or ??? Do I have to use
                          >a specific document-type to make them work.

                          >Any help greatly appreciated.

                          There are 5 Basic types of Clips and each are used for different things in
                          different ways.

                          You will find a Basic Tutorial you can download at

                          http://www.jimbow.com/

                          Which explains the different types and what they are used for.

                          You can find more info on Clip Writing in the Help Menu and at:

                          http://www.notetab.net/
                          (All kinds of neat goodies)

                          Or by Subscribing to the following:

                          The NoteTab Clips List................. ntb-Clips-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                          The NoteTab ClipsClass List............ ntb-ClipClass-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                          General Info for Newguys:

                          Please note that there are NoteTab lists for various uses of NoteTab and
                          comments and questions should generally be posted to the appropriate list.
                          (Lest one suffer 1000 wet noodle lashings for posting a question to the
                          wrong list)

                          Clips Questions should be posted to the above lists where you will find
                          more help than Carter has little liver pills.

                          Below are all of the NoteTab user lists and you can subscribe to all and
                          can elect to receive individual e-mails, a daily digest, or no mail - web
                          viewing only.

                          I think that you will find all of the lists to be informative and helpful
                          beyond your imagination.

                          http://www.fookes.com
                          http://www.notetab.com
                          http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/notetab
                          http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/ntb-nextrelease
                          http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/ntb-clips
                          http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/ntb-clipclass
                          http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/ntb-html
                          http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/ntb-offtopic
                          http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/ntb-announcements
                          http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/album-express
                          http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/mailbag
                          http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/fs-nextrelease

                          Hope this gives you an idea of what direction to go from here.

                          Regards,

                          Jim

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705007389:HM/A=847665/R=0/*http://ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vbW9uc3RlcjcuZGF0=1015021040%3eM=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705007389:HM/A=847665/R=1>
                          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupmail/S=1705007389:HM/A=847665/rand=128063308>

                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 1, 2002
                            Hi Brian, Harvey, Jim, and Others,

                            Thanks for the mention of my ClipClass and my NoteTabbers
                            Assistant pages at http://www.notetab.net (I will update the
                            initial part of the class to mention some of your stuff Jim since
                            you say the same thing, but in a different way ;) - TIA.)

                            >This absolutely helps me out a great deal. I have read a few of
                            >the web sites, but sometimes I need it broken down step by step
                            >or need a specific question answered.

                            The class starts off very basic with step by step help, has some
                            screen shots, and builds after that in each lesson. Please do
                            not do any Clip discussion or Clip posting to this list which is
                            reserved for the very basic use of NoteTab. (The discussion of
                            Clips in a basic and general way like has been done so far on
                            this list, The NoteTab Basic List, is fine, just no Clip code
                            posted please.)

                            You can download my Clip Class from the following link and it
                            will walk you through, Getting Started (which is a web page with
                            a number of images displaying different parts of NoteTab that
                            deals with Clipbooks), making a Library, adding Clips, and
                            editing Clips, on to more difficult Clips. Be sure to read the
                            Introduction also. Open ClipClass.clb and then click on the
                            ClipClass Outline Clip to open the Outline.

                            All the contents of the zip files go in NoteTab's Libraries folder.
                            http://www.notetab.net/clipclass/clipclass.zip

                            The NoteTab ClipClass List
                            mailto:ntb-ClipClass-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                            You can also sign up for the Clips list to get answers to Clip
                            questions, but please do not post questions there concerning the
                            class, but rather the ClipClass list mentioned above and in the
                            in the ClipClass Outline. NoteTab Clips Subscribe & Edit Options:

                            http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips

                          • Brian Binder
                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 1, 2002
                              That was huge everyone. I am not on my way to understanding the power of the "clips" through this program. With features such as this, I don't see how any other text editor can compare.

                              I am so bold as to say that I like this MUCH more than any Micro$oft-based text editor, including Word. Even though there are features it has that NoteTab doesn't, I like stability rather than the dazzling effects that Micro$oft tried to present in their products.

                              Notetab has too many things to list that are handy for me, and with the introduction to clips that people helped me out with - that just makes this program that much sweeter.

                              I must say again, to ALL of you who helped me out with the questions that I had on this subject, THANK YOU! It is very much appreciated.

                              Sincerely,

                              Brian Binder

                              Message 14 of 26 , Mar 16, 2004
                                Hi kuutamo,

                                At 11:03 AM 3/16/04 -0000, you wrote:
                                >Is here clipfiles area?

                                You can subscribe by sending an empty post to:

                                The NoteTab Clips List............ ntb-Clips-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                                Message from Jody Adair to another listmember on the "Basic"
                                List dated January 24,2004

                                If you sign up for any of the discussion lists, please do *not*
                                post questions about Clips and other scripting languages on the
                                Basic list. More difficult tasks should be posted on the Clips or
                                Scripts lists. HTML should be posted on the HTML list and Off
                                Topic discussion takes place on that list. Easy Thumbnails, Easy
                                Imager, and Album Express list are for discussion of those
                                programs. The most important thing to remember is please leave
                                the Basic list for the *very basic* use of NoteTab. The other
                                lists are a lot more flexible for instance Clips can be/and are
                                welcomed on the HTML list. Thanks!!!

                                http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

                                The NoteTabbers Assistant Page (Useful Libraries and Clips for
                                NoteTab, an excellent text and HTML editor): http://www.notetab.net

                                END OF JODY'S MESSAGE:

                                NoteTab's Clipbook libraries are located at:

                                http://www.notetab.com/libraries.php

                                Regards,

                                Larry
                                lrt@... e¿ê