Removing sounds?

  • ferwerda@uclink4.berkeley.edu
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 7, 2002
      Hi! I'd like to know if there's a way to stop Note Tab Light from making
      that irritating and completely unnecessary "bing" when you try to arrow the
      cursor down below the lowest line of the file. It looks like what I'd want
      is in the Options/View menu, "MS-Office Sounds", but that's greyed out and
      inaccessible.

      Or, does anyone know what the name of that "bing" sound file is? I could
      just delete it... :)

      -Madeline Ferwerda
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 8, 2002
        Hi Madeline,

        >Hi! I'd like to know if there's a way to stop Note Tab Light
        >from making that irritating and completely unnecessary "bing"
        >when you try to arrow the cursor down below the lowest line of
        >the file. It looks like what I'd want is in the Options/View
        >menu, "MS-Office Sounds", but that's greyed out and inaccessible.
        >
        >Or, does anyone know what the name of that "bing" sound file is?
        >I could just delete it... :)

        I don't use speakers, so I never hear a "bing" sound. ;)

        There is a Paste Sound to configure and another for the Tab bar
        and one more for the Toolbar. They are configured in Options.

        You might check in your system sounds to see if you have
        something configured there causing it. You should find the
        settings in the Control Panel.

      • Don Paul Beletsky
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 8, 2002
          Hi, Madeline

          I suspect you are activating the system "default beep" sound, which (unless
          changed by the user or a theme) is set to "beep.wav" when Windows is
          installed. Many programs use this sound event to call attention to
          something, like a message, or a minor error. There are other sounds for
          "asterisk", "exclamation", "critical stop" & "question" events (all set to
          "chord.wav" by default - the event names are not terribly meaningful ;-) ).
          While you can turn off these sounds in the Control Panel - Sounds applet,
          you may be thankful for that sound in another application where it is
          signalling something more meaningful.

          I suspect that the edit control used by NoteTab Light may be calling that
          sound event when the cursor attempts to go past the end of the text. I
          personally agree that that is not a momentous occasion and does not warrant
          an audible signal. Most text controls (and editors) do not do this. In
          fact, NoteTab Pro does not do this! However, as mentioned in a thread
          concurrent to this, a different edit control is used for NoteTab Light.
          Perhaps one of the other users of NoteTab Light can confirm if a sound
          occurs in their system in this situation. I don't know if this event signal
          can be modified by the user of a third-party control, if that is what
          NoteTab Light is using. If it can, then perhaps Eric can change that
          behaviour in a future release. In the meantime, you have three choices:

          - upgrade to NoteTab Pro or another editor that does not signal this event;
          - turn off the sound in Control Panel (just select "(none)" in the sound
          name drop-down list); or
          - learn to live with it (you can try not to move the cursor too far) :-)!

          TANSTAAFL*!

          Don Paul

          (* There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

          > Hi! I'd like to know if there's a way to stop Note Tab Light from making
          > that irritating and completely unnecessary "bing" when you try to arrow
          the
          > cursor down below the lowest line of the file. It looks like what I'd
          want
          > is in the Options/View menu, "MS-Office Sounds", but that's greyed out and
          > inaccessible.
          >
          > Or, does anyone know what the name of that "bing" sound file is? I could
          > just delete it... :)
          >
          > -Madeline Ferwerda

        • Eric G.V. Fookes
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 8, 2002
            Hello Madeline,

            >Hi! I'd like to know if there's a way to stop Note Tab Light from making
            >that irritating and completely unnecessary "bing" when you try to arrow the
            >cursor down below the lowest line of the file. It looks like what I'd want
            >is in the Options/View menu, "MS-Office Sounds", but that's greyed out and
            >inaccessible.

            Unfortunately, this sound is made by the Windows rich-edit control, which
            is used in NoteTab Light and Std. I am not aware of a method that enables
            NoteTab to stop it from making that sound. You'll have to blame Microsoft
            for that behavior <g>.

            Regards,
            Eric G.V. Fookes