Re: [NTB] std vs pro

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7, 2002
      Hi Annie,

      >Currently I'm using NoteTab Lite and am thinking about upgrading.
      >The one feature I would like to get is color coding. Is that
      >available in std or only the pro edition? And the ability to
      >number lines...is that only in pro?

      You can only edit the background and text color in NoteTab
      Standard/Light. Line Numbers are only in NoteTab Pro.
      Modify | Lines | Number Lines is in all versions.

      Main advantages of NoteTab Pro over NoteTab Std:

      Speed
      Very fast "Replace All" command
      URL and HTML-tag highlighting
      Multiple-level undo/redo
      Option to show nonprinting characters
      Edit and easily create Outline Documents
      Convert tabs to spaces
      Bookmarks
      Wrap to column in real time
      Line-number ruler
      Choice between real/fixed/smart tabs

      Main advantages of NoteTab Std over NoteTab Pro:

      Works better with Asian languages
      Can use variable width fonts in document window
      Multiple tabulator settings (Distance between tab stops)
      16 MB paragraph size

      Comparison Chart

      NoteTab Pro NoteTab Std NoteTab Light
      General speed Very fast Average Average
      "Replace All" speed Very fast Average to slow Average to slow
      Show nonprinting characters Yes No No
      Multiple-level undo/redo Yes No No
      Bookmarks Yes No No
      URL and HTML highlighting Yes No No
      Use OEM fonts Yes No No
      Use variable-width fonts No Yes Yes
      Spell checker + thesaurus Yes Yes No
      Drag-and-drop editing Yes Yes Yes
      Disk Search & Replace Yes Yes Replace only during trial mode
      Supports Perl & Gawk Yes Yes Only during trial mode
      Programmable Yes Yes Partially
      Read & write EBCDIC Yes Yes Read (Write in trial mode)
      Read & write outline files Yes Yes Read (Write in trial mode)
      Multiple tabulator settings No Yes Yes
      Can wrap text to column Yes Not in real time Not in real time
      Show line numbers Yes No No
      Maximum file size 2 GB 2 GB 2GB
      Maximum paragraph size 32 KB 16 MB 16 MB
      Cost (in USD) $19.95 $9.95 Free

    • Rich Kittell
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 7, 2002
        Jody,

        Perhaps a typo in your reply to Annie? You list 16 MB paragraph size as an advantage of Std over Pro. But Pro has the higher limit (32 MB) of the two.

        Rich
      • Ralf
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 8, 2002
          Jody <av1611@...> took the quill and wrote:

          > Main advantages of NoteTab Std over NoteTab Pro:
          > [...]
          > Can use variable width fonts in document window

          I am using the NTB Light and consider upgrading to the Pro version
          to have HTML-syntax highlighting and the multiple-undo. But I am
          hesitating because I don't want to loose the variable width fonts in
          the document window.

          That's a thing I always wondered about: Which feature of the Pro
          version makes it impossible to ship it with variable font support?

          Ralf
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 8, 2002
            Hi Ralf,,

            >> Main advantages of NoteTab Std over NoteTab Pro:
            >> [...]
            >> Can use variable width fonts in document window
            >
            >I am using the NTB Light and consider upgrading to the Pro
            >version to have HTML-syntax highlighting and the multiple-undo.
            >But I am hesitating because I don't want to loose the variable
            >width fonts in the document window.
            >
            >That's a thing I always wondered about: Which feature of the Pro
            >version makes it impossible to ship it with variable font
            >support?

            It is due to the input control used. Pro uses a different one
            than Std/Light. Variable width fonts can be used in Pro for
            everything except the document edit window. (It will print
            variable width fonts.)

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 8, 2002
              Hi Rich,

              >Perhaps a typo in your reply to Annie? You list 16 MB paragraph
              >size as an advantage of Std over Pro. But Pro has the higher
              >limit (32 MB) of the two.

              The 32 is in KB, not MB.

              Maximum file size 2 GB 2 GB 2 GB
              Maximum paragraph size 32 KB 2 GB 2 GB

              You can check that by continually pasting text into an edit
              window (with join lines) eventually you will get a message
              saying that the paragraph size has been exceeded. If you select
              all (Ctrl+A) the text you will see the file size.