std vs pro

  • anniebluesky
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7, 2002
      Currently I'm using NoteTab Lite and am thinking about upgrading. The
      one feature I would like to get is color coding. Is that available in
      std or only the pro edition? And the ability to number lines...is
      that only in pro?

      thanks...
      annie

      http://anniebluesky.tripod.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 7, 2002
        Hi Annie,

        >Currently I'm using NoteTab Lite and am thinking about upgrading.
        >The one feature I would like to get is color coding. Is that
        >available in std or only the pro edition? And the ability to
        >number lines...is that only in pro?

        You can only edit the background and text color in NoteTab
        Standard/Light. Line Numbers are only in NoteTab Pro.
        Modify | Lines | Number Lines is in all versions.

        Main advantages of NoteTab Pro over NoteTab Std:

        Speed
        Very fast "Replace All" command
        URL and HTML-tag highlighting
        Multiple-level undo/redo
        Option to show nonprinting characters
        Edit and easily create Outline Documents
        Convert tabs to spaces
        Bookmarks
        Wrap to column in real time
        Line-number ruler
        Choice between real/fixed/smart tabs

        Main advantages of NoteTab Std over NoteTab Pro:

        Works better with Asian languages
        Can use variable width fonts in document window
        Multiple tabulator settings (Distance between tab stops)
        16 MB paragraph size

        Comparison Chart

        NoteTab Pro NoteTab Std NoteTab Light
        General speed Very fast Average Average
        "Replace All" speed Very fast Average to slow Average to slow
        Show nonprinting characters Yes No No
        Multiple-level undo/redo Yes No No
        Bookmarks Yes No No
        URL and HTML highlighting Yes No No
        Use OEM fonts Yes No No
        Use variable-width fonts No Yes Yes
        Spell checker + thesaurus Yes Yes No
        Drag-and-drop editing Yes Yes Yes
        Disk Search & Replace Yes Yes Replace only during trial mode
        Supports Perl & Gawk Yes Yes Only during trial mode
        Programmable Yes Yes Partially
        Read & write EBCDIC Yes Yes Read (Write in trial mode)
        Read & write outline files Yes Yes Read (Write in trial mode)
        Multiple tabulator settings No Yes Yes
        Can wrap text to column Yes Not in real time Not in real time
        Show line numbers Yes No No
        Maximum file size 2 GB 2 GB 2GB
        Maximum paragraph size 32 KB 16 MB 16 MB
        Cost (in USD) $19.95 $9.95 Free

      • Rich Kittell
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 7, 2002
          Jody,

          Perhaps a typo in your reply to Annie? You list 16 MB paragraph size as an advantage of Std over Pro. But Pro has the higher limit (32 MB) of the two.

          Rich
        • Ralf
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 8, 2002
            Jody <av1611@...> took the quill and wrote:

            > Main advantages of NoteTab Std over NoteTab Pro:
            > [...]
            > Can use variable width fonts in document window

            I am using the NTB Light and consider upgrading to the Pro version
            to have HTML-syntax highlighting and the multiple-undo. But I am
            hesitating because I don't want to loose the variable width fonts in
            the document window.

            That's a thing I always wondered about: Which feature of the Pro
            version makes it impossible to ship it with variable font support?

            Ralf
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 8, 2002
              Hi Ralf,,

              >> Main advantages of NoteTab Std over NoteTab Pro:
              >> [...]
              >> Can use variable width fonts in document window
              >
              >I am using the NTB Light and consider upgrading to the Pro
              >version to have HTML-syntax highlighting and the multiple-undo.
              >But I am hesitating because I don't want to loose the variable
              >width fonts in the document window.
              >
              >That's a thing I always wondered about: Which feature of the Pro
              >version makes it impossible to ship it with variable font
              >support?

              It is due to the input control used. Pro uses a different one
              than Std/Light. Variable width fonts can be used in Pro for
              everything except the document edit window. (It will print
              variable width fonts.)

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 8, 2002
                Hi Rich,

                >Perhaps a typo in your reply to Annie? You list 16 MB paragraph
                >size as an advantage of Std over Pro. But Pro has the higher
                >limit (32 MB) of the two.

                The 32 is in KB, not MB.

                Maximum file size 2 GB 2 GB 2 GB
                Maximum paragraph size 32 KB 2 GB 2 GB

                You can check that by continually pasting text into an edit
                window (with join lines) eventually you will get a message
                saying that the paragraph size has been exceeded. If you select
                all (Ctrl+A) the text you will see the file size.